Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band and Autoimmune disorders (Lupus)

Hi - I haven't posted in a long, long time.

For now I just want to quickly ask about "autoimmune disease" and Lap Band.

I just heard, for the first time that having an Autoimmune connective tissue disease (like Lupus) is a 'contra-indication" for the surgery.

I have had a Lap Band for 1 year and now it appears I may have Lupus.

Does anybody know what the problem is ???? I cannot find any information on why there is an issue with Lupus and the Lap Band.

Thanks in advance...

I have never heard of this. I have lupus and was just banded a few weeks ago. My rheumatologist was all for it, even printed a bunch of literature to help me decide between lap band and gastric bypass. I just saw him two days ago for a routine check and he was very happy for me. Where did you hear this info?

From what I have heard, it is more of a problem with GBP than LB. Something to do with a possibility of the tissues not healing properly.

I think that part of the problem has to do with the medication needed for inflammation with a lot of autoimmune disorders. I have rheumatoid arthritis and my surgeon did discuss the issue of taking large amounts of anti-inflammatories and pain medication, but he said it was something he was willing to work with and keep an eye on in the future. I have a great deal of problems with my lower back, knees, and feet so both the surgeon and my rheumatologist were completely supportive of the surgery due to the extra strain my joints were under due to the excess weight.

But, I have also read arguments against the insertion of a foreign object into a person who's body has already demonstrated an ability to attack it's own tissue. So, there are questions about how that kind of system will react to a completely unknown item being introduced. However, I haven't had any flare-ups or other extreme episodes since my surgery in August. Hopefully that will continue.

Thanks for the comments.

I actually heard this on a Lap Band commercial earlier today. I have been hearing Lap Band commercials for a couple of years now and today was the very first time I ever heard mention of the autoimmune disorders as a contra-indication.

Also - I did some queries and found that autoimmune disorders are listed all over the place as being a contra-indication - I never noticed that before either.

However, none of the sites that I looked at, made any comment whatsoever as to "why" an auto-immune illness could be a problem with the Lap Band.

I am wondering if this is something new that is just now being published...

The show "Big Medicine" last night had a gal with Lupus that wanted a gastric bypass. I was only halfway paying attention, but for reasons I didnt quite hear, Dr. Davis recommended the lap band to her, but she needed the bypass due to insurance allowances. Her issues may have been more specific to her, but I know his recommendation centered on her lupus. If anyone else saw the show, maybe they were paying more attention then me and can remember what reasons he gave her for his recommendation.

Good luck!

Tina

The lupus problem had to do with a problem with healing well. There was also a question

I have an autoimmune disorder of Scleroderma (cousin to Lupus. My Rhumatologist said "no". But I did it anyway. I had acid reflux extremely bad and they were afraid the band would make it worse. I have not had a problem since having the band 10-3-08. I was on 2 Prevacid daily prior to banding. Drs. don't always know best! lol

When I originally started looking into Lap Band surgery, I was informed by the nurse at the bariatic center that no doctor would ever touch me if I have Lupus (even though my Lupus has been in remission for over 5 years). The reason she gave me was that the Lap Band is a foreign object that is put into your body and the rejection factor with Lupus is like 50x higher than that of people without Lupus. The conversation I had with her was about 2 years ago, and now I'm planning on looking into it again. I'm wondering if I should just not even disclose that I have/had Lupus since it's been in remission for so long and hasn't even showed up on a blood test in almost 7 years. I desperately want this surgery. Additionally, has anyone heard that Blue Cross/Blue Shield refuses to cover this procedure? I'd like to get more info. THanks!

I have Multiple Sclerosis and my doctor briefly discussed it with me and he said there have been a couple of incidences where the pt. with an auto immune disorder doesn't heal as well and the possibility of rejecting the band. He said it would be my choice. I discussed it with my neurologist and he didn't think it was a big deal. He actually thought that the risk of being obese was greater than the possiblity of rejection.

Personally I think it is more important to get my weight under control and increase my physical well being than not doing anything. I mean I don't want to be debilitated, need assistance and be in a position that it is difficult to assist me. Just my opinion though.

Hi

This is only my 2nd post. Again I so appreciate the wealth of info on this site. I too have RA & fibro both autoimmune diseases. My Rheum didn't have any concerns re: the surgery. Also at my initial consult I gave them a full medical history & no one mentioned that it would be an issue.

I am in the early stages of the process, no surgery date yet. I meet with the nutritionist & psychologist next week. It started giving me 2nd thoughts about how well I will heal and also my body's reaction to the foreign body. So I will definitely discuss this more with the surgeons.

I have gotten PM from someone who had surgery where I am going & he had a horrible experience & had his band removed. Although I appreciate hearing the good & bad I was taken back since he was so adamant against it. I know his threads haven't always been popular in looking back at his threads. I am scared being obese but I definitely want all the information to make informed decision re: lap band surgery.

Jazz:confused:

I have come across doctors who said no to anyone with an auto-immune system. My guess is lupus can be triggered by stress to the body, and any surgery can do that.

I have stills and was suprised my doctor said yes. I am opting for this appose to gastro because it is reversable just in case my body can't take it. I wish you and all those of us who have an auto-immune illness the very best!!

Hi

This is only my 2nd post. Again I so appreciate the wealth of info on this site. I too have RA & fibro both autoimmune diseases. My Rheum didn't have any concerns re: the surgery. Also at my initial consult I gave them a full medical history & no one mentioned that it would be an issue.

I am in the early stages of the process, no surgery date yet. I meet with the nutritionist & psychologist next week. It started giving me 2nd thoughts about how well I will heal and also my body's reaction to the foreign body. So I will definitely discuss this more with the surgeons.

I have gotten PM from someone who had surgery where I am going & he had a horrible experience & had his band removed. Although I appreciate hearing the good & bad I was taken back since he was so adamant against it. I know his threads haven't always been popular in looking back at his threads. I am scared being obese but I definitely want all the information to make informed decision re: lap band surgery.

Jazz:confused:

Mustjazz;

I highlighted what you said above, because it is NOT the case. I am NOT opposed to WLS. People hear about my particlular experience and somehow get the impression that I am anti-WLS. I am NOT anti-wls, and I keep repeating that.

I don't think it is right for all people in all situations. I believe that it has become a cash-cow for surgeons, and they are marketing it to people who really might not need it. It's being over-sold. But that doesn't mean that there aren't situations when it isn't necessary.

What happened to me was a rare and unique situation. MOST LB surgeries go on with out a problem. MOST patients go on to lose weight, with few complications. But, there are times when there ARE significant problems. As I write this, in the "lap band Complications" section, there are over 1700 threads. That alone tells you that stuff DOES happen.

I don't know anything about your specific situation, your weight, your history with weight loss, or anything, so I can't comment as to whether or not you are doing the right thing. All I did was to tell you my story, and name ONE particular surgeon That I think you should stay away from.

If an individual meets a legitimate criteria, and they have exhausted EVERY other Weight loss possibility, I am fully supportive of using WLS as a LAST resort. Last week, I recommended the Lap Band to an associate of mine who is one of those people who is simply NOT going to lose his excess 120 pounds ANY other way. We've been discussing it for about 10 months now, and in his case, there really is no other way that will work. I am coaching him in finding an EXPERIENCED surgeon in his area, and helping him understand EXACTLY what to expect before, during, and after.

You are wise in coming to this forum, and becoming active here, even though there are some blowhards here who make it seem all rosy because it was easy for THEM. There is a LOT of great information here, some wonderful people, and you will find that there is plenty of support and advice that you might not get from your Doctors.

Again don't take MY experience as the norm. It's not. What my experience is, is a lesson to choose EXPERIENCED and QUALIFIED practitioners who will provide you with pre and post-op support.

I do wish you the best of luck in this process, and I invite you to PM me if you have questions. My experience was only MY experience, but it taught me a lot in how to deal with Doctors, insurance companies, and the Medical community.

HH

So, just so I have the story straight, Jazz posts basically "I'm having my consults done at hospital X" and headhunter sends an unsolicited PM with a horror story?!?

Nice, dude......real nice.

And you're damn right I did.

If YOU had a BIG problem with a Car Dealership, dentist, Dry Cleaner or ANY OTHER business, wouldn't YOU suggest people look elsewhere?

I think you might. "Dude".