Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone asked you if your on drugs?

I know this is a silly question , but i was thinking about this the other day. Has anyone had anyone ask, or whisper behind there back that your on drugs? I haven't been banded yet, but I would think that with loosing so much weight so fast. Don't people ask you how in the hell your loosing so much weight so fast? Not that I'm really hiding it, my friends know, and i'm friendly with ONE person at work. I just think theres only a few possibilities that weight comes off so quickly. I know that its not like that for everyone, but I just wonder if anyone's had anyone say something to them either way. Really I think I'm asking cause I lost 80lbs once when i was 20 and people i saw from highschool would make comments like that. i'm from a small state someone is somewhere at some point. I just thinks it would kinda be funny.

I know exactly what you mean, I'm not banded yet either but I have a great solution for when I do loose this weight. I've been in hospital last year so for me it's a great "cover" story if you will, I was on steroids to help my breathing and anyone that has been in hospital and has had them will know that when you take them you tend to put on weight, I haven't put on heaps maybe 10 kgs or so (22ish lbs I think) and all I'm going to say when they ask is "Well I was on steroids and my doctor said I could come off them and because they make you gain weight I've just started excercising and the weight is actually falling off me pretty quick, and I'm starting to eat heaps of vegetables and salad(I do already)" So you just need to think of agood cover I guess, only my mum knows that I may be having it at the moment as she comes with me to my doc appointments cuz I tend to sit there and go off with the fairies lol but I plan on telling only my father and sisters, when I know for sure that I'm getting it, the night before I go on the liquid diet I plan on going out for "one last good meal" if you will to a restaurant or whatever and telling my sisters and then my dad when he comes over, I know that they won't tell (hopefully) and if they do I'll make it perfectly clear that I will never be able to trust them again. I hope it works out ok for you

Edit** I told my mum my "theory" or whatever and she was just like y eah I dont think people are going to believe you lol so I was just like uhh well wtf fine then lol but she said you could always tell people you stopped eating bread cuz technically that's true, I know a friend of my sisters did that and she was pretty big about 150kg - probably 300 or more lbs and she lost alot of weight so say that as well, people have no right to know what happened to you unless you feel like telling them

I know, I know. Telling someone that you put a band around the top of your stomach is embarrassing, but I promise that you'll live.

Some people will give you crap for doing it, but f*** them. Your heart, pancreas, brain, etc. will thank you later.

Not many people know I had mine done (the people who do know is caused by other people having a big mouth). But anyway, I am going on 3 weeks post op and have lost 13 pounds. Not so bad, I am in for my first fill in a few weeks.... but really, I was only 40/41 in the BMI scale and I really chose to do this for my health down the road... and the fact that I have been fighting weight since I was in 5th or 6th grade...

You will be fine, it is worth it. I was so scared a few weeks ago and then I had it done and boom here I am... happy as a lamb... just waiting to finish healing so I can hit the gym...:thumbup:

amc581,

I did not tell anyone at work. I sit in the lunch room only 2 times a week, but it is enough to let them see how hard I am dieting. They finally quit asking how I live on so little food after about 30 lbs. lost. Now they tell me how welll I am doing and ask for helpful hints.:thumbup: If you do not want people to know tell them you are on a dite because you will be. Good luck!

I just tell people. I figure either the askers are fat, or they have loved ones who are, and they might spread the word that LBS is an effective tool for obesity. Maybe I as just past the age of caring whether other people approve or not.

I lost 65 lb on Atkins three years ago, and had someone ask me very reticently if I was dieting, or if I was sick and had, like, cancer, you know . . .

I think the difference is, in the drugs I'm aware of that make you lose weight...

They also cause you to pick at your skin and mark up your face/hands.. dark/red circles under the eyes.. jitteriness.. jaw clenching.. etc. They do NOT look healthy.

I can spot someone on those kind of drugs.. and they don't resemble someone who is losing weight quick from WLS hehe.

im the other way, im 28 now, and when i was 12-13 yrs, i was started on drugs for epilepsy, which have a great side effect of weight gain, and of course the more you weigh the more drugs you need, great being a teenager at an all girls high school, nothing was said, but im sure there were comments behind my back, plus im an emotional eater, before high school i was a normal i guess size, many 5 kg heavier than everyone else my age, but the drugs are for the rest of my life.

if anyone questions you, simply

a)your on a diet

b)your really sick, and cant eat much

c)stuff on your mind

d)just tell them, and ask them to respect your privacy

were i work there are 120 nurses, most to almost nearlly all know, which i dont care, i had people saying best of luck and good for you for doing it, even compliments after 5kg, shocked, at 116kg, the only difference i see is that the stretch marks are more white as apposed to red,

if people have issues, thats their problem, its your life, your body, especially your life!!

they may even have a back hand comment about the band, saying its lasy or taking the easy way out, its crap, i was thinking about a lapband, and the parents said do alot of research but they are behind me 100%, so from thinking that they only eat a Tomato, to finding out its a massive life change and they have to work much harder than other people on diets

its only if you lost too much weight and looked gaunt around the face they might ask about drugs, but stay healthy and she'll be right

sus

if you are talking about drugs like being on crack. then yea in my neck of the woods. you either on crack.got aids. of cancer.example last week a friend of my boyfriend. sound so (high school) saw me out in a store he ask him what happen to me(he has the band also)so he decided to tell him that i had the lapband. he was so shock.i lost 91lbs. people are use to seeing me at 324lbs believe me i had a beer belly.an it shrunk. an also he had a big beer gut, so i pass him. he got the band before me.i am sure a lot of people wonder the same thing.but until they ask i am not telling,i have told some people. the point is i ask him why you told him i had the band.then it pop in my head you don,t want people to think i am on crack. well from my neighbor hood it makes a lotta since.but it don,t make me no difference on way of another.

I know this is a silly question , but i was thinking about this the other day. Has anyone had anyone ask, or whisper behind there back that your on drugs? I haven't been banded yet, but I would think that with loosing so much weight so fast. Don't people ask you how in the hell your loosing so much weight so fast? Not that I'm really hiding it, my friends know, and i'm friendly with ONE person at work. I just think theres only a few possibilities that weight comes off so quickly. I know that its not like that for everyone, but I just wonder if anyone's had anyone say something to them either way. Really I think I'm asking cause I lost 80lbs once when i was 20 and people i saw from highschool would make comments like that. i'm from a small state someone is somewhere at some point. I just thinks it would kinda be funny.

I'll probably get in trouble again for telling you something, but honey does it really matter WHAT other people think? This is for you to make you feel better, who cares what the others think? People are just a bunch of weirdos that wander around trying to gossip about everything and anything they can. . so when you get your band and you start losing, just know you have us here on this forum who all are going through something or another, and can give support and kindness. . whereas those "others" out there are just there . . . so ignore the "others" and be happy and healthy! Good luck, I've not been banded yet either, and have had tons of negativity given towards me by the "others" but you know my feelings on that huh???? :blushing:

A good quote I recently heard (can't remember where) that I repeat to myself whenever I'm faced with an uncomfortable or ridiculous conversation is: "What comes out of other people's mouths is about them, but what comes out of my mouth is about me." Or something along those lines...can't remember the exact wording right now. The important part to remember when you're dealing with ignorant and insensitive people is that what's coming out of their mouth is about them and their issues, and rarely if ever has much to do with you anyway. It's helped me immensly over the past few months to not react to every little ridiculous thing someone says to me or take it to heart. Hope it helps you too. =)

Keep on keepin' on girl! Soon you'll have lost all your weight and look and feel so great you won't give a damn what anyone else says or thinks cuz you'll be too busy out living your life and enjoying every second!

ive actually heard people talking behind my back about me and mostly theyre wondering if ive become anorexic... of course, these are people i dont count among my friends, and so they dont know about the surgery..

i havent gotten the drugs question - but im sure its coming from someone

I am telling people, that i went to my doctor and he said that i could either get this done, try dieting again and hope that im in the 7% of people my size that loose the weight and keep it off, or i could go on like i am and get diabetes.

When you put it like that with statistics and options, people seem to understand alot more how hard it is to loose weight and keep it off, give them the 7% statistic. its a higher statistic of people who loose weight on diets, but only a small amount of people keep it off...

Im sick of dieting and with my behind the desk job, its really a no brainer decision.

Good luck and happy banding

IM new to the site, so sorry for the late response

I just got banded the other day, and I dont care if people think I am on drugs. I wont tell them I am on the lap band. SOme know some dont. The ones who question my eating, Ill just say Im stressed (which they know is usually true)

THough when I was in my early 20s a few years ago, I lost 120 lbs doing Atkins very fast! I was anti-social, so when I popped in to see family, They couldnt belive how THIN i got. They all thought I was doing coke. Even my boyfriend thought I was sneaking drugs. I never did drugs in my life. I was hurt that they didnt belive I lost the weight on diet alone. After a while, I just let people think what they wanted