Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Exercise Challenge

Hey, guys! I know this is pretty sappy, but it really says how I feel about you guys...my lapband buddies. I know, I know...I'm really pretty sappy...I just hide it well!

wch_header.gifWeek of 03/27/2008

SUBJECT: Part of something so much bigger than myself

POSTER: DANALYNV

Originally posted as an entry in her SparkPage blog.

Last November I was driving behind a bus doing the speed limit when from out of nowhere a car whips around both me and the bus. Yes, double yellow lines, on a hill, going around a blind curve... I freaked out, and said to my son "Oh my gosh, that person has a death wish!"

After that corner the road becomes an upward progression of hills and valleys, so there's no seeing what's ahead until you're actually there. Well, sure enough, when we arrived there, it was a mess, a nightmare!

I pulled over as quickly as I could and called 911. The car was in a ditch on the opposite side of the road about 50 yards from the car it had just hit head-on. Inside was a lady, probably in her early 50's, an airbag had punched her in the gut and chest pretty hard and she couldn't breath. I was concerned she was having a heart attack because of the way she was grasping her chest. She was very much in shock and because of the enormous amount of smoke pouring in through the vents she thought the car was going to blow up, but there was no getting her out, so I got as much of myself as could in through the busted out window and held her.

Finally, after several minutes, when the paramedics arrived I had to let go of her and get out of the way, but I have to say, it broke my heart to let go, I didn't want to. This lady and I had bonded... and during those terrifying moments I had lost all sense of myself... there was no "ME" in the picture, only us...

The reason I'm telling this story is because all of you beautiful SparkPeople cause me to have that same feeling... the feeling that I'm a part of something so much bigger than myself... That it's just as important to me that all of you become healthy and happy as it is that I do. The feeling that if you're hurting or in pain that I have a responsibility to reach out and help... my pain does NOT require any more attention than anyone else's. I am obliged to help heal the human condition as a whole, and oddly enough, I feel like that's more of a privilege than anyone could ask for or deserve.

We live in such a busy, isolated, society, there is so much loneliness and sorrow... so much stress and need of THINGS... when I was in that car with that woman, every bit of that vanished... all I felt was a desperate need for her to live.

I want you all to LIVE in every aspect of the word... I don't need to know you (although, I'd love to) or be your close friend to know that you are a part of me... that the healthier you are, the healthier I am... that the more success and goals you reach the more likely I am to do the same.

We aren't just losing weight, here, my SparkFriends, you and I have the potential to change things in the universe we may never know about or remotely be able to understand...

Let's not ever forget that as we go day to day focusing on those silly old scales.< /span>

"Shhhhhh...be ve-wee, ve-wee quiet...I'm hunting wabbit." - Elmer Fudd

Hey, people!

Wake up!

So much of my LBT hangout space is quiet today!

Okay, I am reporting in and that itself is a miracle!!!! It has been quiet on here... I finally am starting to get better. My son ended up getting sick before the end of the week also. The only person left to get it is my hubby, and he never gets sick. Okay well I hit the gym and did my zumba with my nose running my head aching and the whole nine yards, but I felt like I had the best work out of my life in there yesterday! Woohooo! I am going to say this and it will probably sound kinda gross but it's a cool gross. I have always sweat when I worked out but yesterday I had the best sweat of my life, I noticed how seriously soaked I was! It felt really good! The more weight I loose the more I sweat all over.. We found out later in the class they still had the heat on in our room, hence the heavy sweating. I am so thankful for loosing the weight that I have, and looking forward to more weight loss as I continue this journey. I also did strength training on my legs and abs today. Okay well I just wanted to give you all an update!!! Have a great new week. Sometimes having a few days off makes you appreciate those workouts a little more***

Hey, Jess! Good to see ya, and I'm glad you are starting to feel better! Sorry your son got sick...hope hubby doesn't. You guys have had your share lately, so surely this is the end for a while? :cursing:

That is amazing that you went to work out when you still felt bad...good for you! Hey, all that sweating you did yesterday could be a very good sign! Did you know that the fitter you are, the more you sweat? I always thought it was the other way around, but no! So you sweating really good yesterday could be a good sign!

Ok havnt checked in for a while but it was good to read up on what my friends have been doing. I rode my bicycle outside on Sat morning for 8 miles. Not very far but i want to break myself in. Had a busy weekend dropping off 1 daughter at the airport and picking up the other. (Back from Florida).

Im on the road this week (lovely Pittsburg).

Ok Here is a picture of my bicycle.

post-220194-13813136785549_thumb.jpg

Jess :I was reading about the big OshKosh race i have coming up in 2 weeks and they said there will be a Zumba display there!

Ok majorly exciting and nothing to do with exercise but your my friends, I finaly got my new Motorcycle this weekend. This is kind of a NSV. As i always have wanted this kind of bike but always felt i was too fat and had to buy cruisers (Steff knows im not much of a cruiser guy). So here she is. i did have to ride it 2hrs in 35F weather but i had so many clothes on it didnt bother me.

post-220194-13813136786263_thumb.jpg

post-220194-13813136786902_thumb.jpg

Ok and while im going crazy with pictures here is one of me i took yesterday.

Its not that great and im not that proud of it but its a progress picture.

post-220194-13813136787674_thumb.jpg

Happy Monday everyone! Here's my update for this weekend:

Friday, worked 0600-1400, went home, hopped on the new bike and road over to the gym the short way-1.75 miles. Did my lower body workout and 65 minutes on elliptical for 5.35 miles and 1105 calories. Road the long way home for 3.75 miles on the bike. Total of 5.5 miles on the bike.

Saturday, had to wait until DW got home from the office, road the short way to the gym. Did 2 hrs, 10 min on the elliptical for 2200 calories and 10.68 miles. Long way home again.

Sunday, went after church, road long way to and from. 2 hrs, 10 min on elliptical for 10.5 miles and 2130 calories. Wiped out completely.

Question for you guys. I had my monthly appt last Thur and the PA did another adjustment on my band even though I lost 7.5 lbs last month and told her I still had pretty good restriction from my initial adjustment the month before. This time she added more than the last time. Is that normal?

Also, have you guys ever had the adjustments and resulting swelling make it difficult to do cardio. I forced myself through it, but it was difficult yesterday.

Just wondering. Oh, and I know I have control over the adjustments, just was stunned and didn't think she would add 3 cc's this time when she only did 2 the prior month.

Wow! SO much great stuff happening on our little thread! Thanks for sharing whosyadaddy! What an accomplishment... Look how far you have come!!

Thanks Stef, I hope I am getting healthier, I am trying extra hard this week, glad all the Easter candy has been thrown out!

Ceradad! Way to go on the workouts! I didn't know that about the adjustments and cardio. I didn't realize we had control over our adjustments either. I know I am getting close since I have 6.5-7cc in my band and I know I should be pretty good for a while so I need to make sure I am doing some on my own. Okay well it's like I forgot how to post pictures, but I am posting them on my sparkspage, and on my myspace. Anyways I am so happy to be back and I think we have a very inspiring thread! Whosyadaddy, congrats on the new bike! I hope when you ride it you never have those same insecurities about riding it! I am sure you will have a blast! You have done wonderful!

Okay so on a weird note, I am adjusting to losing all this weight especially since I still have more to go, and the other day, I got out of my car and some guy whistled at me.. I have to admit, it was still hard, because I still think of myself as being so big, it caught me off guard. All the changes I am sure will take time to get used to and thank God I just keep losing! Okay you all I am on my count down...One more pound to hit 100!!!

I guess I am a little wordy today! Okay well I hope everyone has an extra special week!!!

I have to say I am thinking about purchasing a bike at the end of May, I think your all giving me bike fever!

Jess, ultimately it is our bodies. The dr's and pa's can't order us to do anything. I wish I had been thinking a little more clearly on Thur. I would not have had an adjustment. I think this pa tends to forget about all the exercise I do each week and that I need the extra calories. I think she tries to pigeon hole me in with others that try to do it on diet alone. Obviously, none of us in this thread think like that.:crying:

Oh well, my original pa is back at the end of April from maternity leave. I'm going to try to get back with her. She understood what I was doing and didn't seem to believe there was a schedule to go by on the adjustments.

Hey, folks! I put new pics on my profile photo album. As a true friend should do, I was "called on the carpet" for bragging about my arms...I'm sorry! It sounded unseemly and I didn't mean to sound that way, so I apologize.

daddy-you are looking good, man! Keep up the great work.

Stef-no need to apologize. As long as you can back it up, it ain't bragging.:lol: And, from the pics I saw, you girl can back it up!

daddy-you are looking good, man! Keep up the great work.

Stef-no need to apologize. As long as you can back it up, it ain't bragging.:biggrin: And, from the pics I saw, you girl can back it up!

Thank you, Ceradad! I heart muscles!

Hey, I just now realized you started April for us! Thank you!

In the event that others just kept coming here without realizing it is a new month, here is the link Ceradad started: http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f81/april-exercise-challenge-57011/