Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Calling all April Bandsters!!!!

Hi April Avengers.

It's been 1 1/2 years since I visited this forum. Like some of the others who've posted, I'm struggling. I finally came back here to try and regain my resolve and get advice!

After getting below 200...and feeling great...I have totally fallen off the wagon. Carbs are my addiction, and I've gained 60 pounds!!!

So my question is, for anybody still out there, HOW do you get back to where we were in 2008 - dieting - yes, dieting - following the band rules, eating healthy and losing weight? I can't seem to get past the carb craving!

I was doing well for the first year, but then, my old habits were rearing their ugly head and I started on the path to where I am now. Its a daily struggle. Every night I resolve to stop...every day I can't stop eating. It's not the band's fault - its there telling me to stop, but I've learned just wait a couple minutes, and then I can eat more. And the really toxic stuff just slides on through.

So, has anybody conquered this carb addiction?

WOW- was I surprised to see a lapbander come up in my email! And I have to tell you....I'm in exactly the same boat but my boat has extras. I've had shoulder pain for over a year- really got worse- and I started to eat more to avoid it. My surgeon gave me no answers and after months of research and pushing I had information. Also, my port was giving me a lot of discomfort when I had sex and also when I ate a lot. It ached!

Finally, and to make a very long story shorter, I found a new surgeon and guess what my surgeon didn't tell me? There's tubing sitting on top of my diaphragm and that's been causing me the pain (seems the diaphragm and shoulder are connected to the same spot on the spinal cord and the brain makes the shoulder feel the pain). So, tomorrow morning- amazing that you wrote this week- I'm on my way in for repair work,and I'm hoping this will get me back on the straight and narrow. I gained back over 30 pounds...still down 55. I'm very grateful for what it's done- but I also have found out how to eat around hte band. Ice cream and pirates booty go right through. Now I've been back on tons of carbs and diet soda. The new surgeon told me he may be replacing the band- depends on what he sees when he goes in. IF he does, I'm back to square one with 3 weeks liquid protein...OKAY BY ME.

So, I completely sympathize, empathize, etc. I guess they weren't lying when they said the band is just a tool and it's up to us. Same is true for gastic folks- after a year or two they start to gain cause dumping is over. No magic for us YET.

I'll check back after I'm home from the hospital. If I can sit to get on- I'll be back on Sunday.

Take care and WE CAN DO THIS!

Gwenn

Gwen,

Best of luck with your procedure!! Hope it gives you relief of the symptoms (makes total sense - it's called referred pain).

Nice to hear I'm not alone with having to struggle to stay on the "straight and narrow" regarding eating habits!

Enjoy your new bander status...the feeling full after on ounce is a wonderful feeling! Enjoy! (once you get past the pain, the bloating, etc).

Hi- got home last evening. A lot of repair work. Moved port- smaller port in the new space and I understand that they gave a lot of thought to how to set up the new tubing to the port to make sure i have less issues this time. The biggest work was the weirdest. Turns out that I had excess tubing which was hitting my diaphragm, which is generally the cause the shoulder pain - there are a number of people who have this happen. HOWEVER, I had a twist- rather than just touching it now and then, somehow a piece of loose fat had looped around the extra tubing and had literally attached it like a vise to my diaphragm....which is why I was in so much pain, more and more as time went on and this became solidified. So, quite a clean up. I'm hoping that no pain will mean a fresh start. The surgeon did not touch the band itself- all was well there- and so I don't need to do the same after band diet. I'm too open, but a fill will be a few weeks out until the port site heals. I'm going to try to stick to liquids and mushies for a few days and then just Protein. Without the constant pain,I might be able to do that now. Now I have to get back to work and try to control the carb cravings. That's harder than surgery.

Gwenn

I fell off the wagon as well. I'm very frustrated with myself. 2009 was a very stressful year for me and unfortunately, I forgot to take care of myself first and foremost. I'm facing another transition in my work life right now and realized I needed to make getting back on a healthy regime part of the transition. I've been sabotaging myself by eating "around" the band, and not excercising at all. I feel just awful! Even though I never lost that much to begin with, it really made a difference in my face. I saw a picture of myself from a black tie event last week and nearly cried to see how my face was right back to where it was before surgery.

My pre-surgery weight high was 282. I never got below 200 - in fact, I never got below 240. I slowly crept back up to 268 and have just managed to get down to 261 in the past 2 weeks. I decided to go back to the post-op soft food diet in order to jump start myself. So far, I think it is working. Now, I need to start walking. Like you, I came back to the sight for some inspiration. So far, I'm just feeling like a failure for not making the most of my LAP-BAND®, but I'm determined to change my bad habits and get back on track.

Cheers!

I fell off the wagon as well. I'm very frustrated with myself. 2009 was a very stressful year for me and unfortunately, I forgot to take care of myself first and foremost. I'm facing another transition in my work life right now and realized I needed to make getting back on a healthy regime part of the transition. I've been sabotaging myself by eating "around" the band, and not excercising at all. I feel just awful! Even though I never lost that much to begin with, it really made a difference in my face. I saw a picture of myself from a black tie event last week and nearly cried to see how my face was right back to where it was before surgery.

My pre-surgery weight high was 282. I never got below 200 - in fact, I never got below 240. I slowly crept back up to 268 and have just managed to get down to 261 in the past 2 weeks. I decided to go back to the post-op soft food diet in order to jump start myself. So far, I think it is working. Now, I need to start walking. Like you, I came back to the sight for some inspiration. So far, I'm just feeling like a failure for not making the most of my LAP-BAND®®, but I'm determined to change my bad habits and get back on track.

Cheers!

I am right there with you. Lost 90 - had a terrible year where I unfortunately learned to eat around my band. Recently had surgery to fix a big problem with my port and tubing, and thought I'd be on the right track but nothing fits and I'm afraid to get on the scale. Starting back on a high Protein, low carb diet (YECCH- DIET) this week. I'm so miserable. Really miserable. Could use some support as well.

I'm not changing my numbers here yet....hope springs eternal that I can lose before fixing!

G

Hi Gwenn,

I read your post earlier about the repairs. Are you getting the restriction you need yet? I can't even remember how long ago my last fill was. I think my restriction is reasonable, but maybe I should go ahead and have it checked out. I still get stuck every once in a while when eating certain things.

I've just started surfing the forums again - have you found a thread yet for others from our April group that are still struggling? I hope we can inspire each other to refocus and get back on track. Thanks for your reply.

Hello out there!! I haven't been here for so long! I hope everyone is well and happy! I miss you all!

Hello out there!! I haven't been here for so long! I hope everyone is well and happy! I miss you all!

HI Turler! Saw a note that you'd posted and so good to see you! And SOOOOO proud of you! OMG- after all the trouble at the start- you are fantastic. Wish I were there wtih you. Guess you read my sad story. I'm still down about 40 and back on the wagon, but lost so much time and disappointed in myself (nothing new there). I finally decided to join OA and it's helping, even tho I don't like it. My band works, but not if I eat around it adn I'm an expert. So, back to the trenches to help me let the band work. Losing again.

Hope all else is well. Stay in touch! I'll look now and then for responses or email me directly at gdf18@hotmail.com.

By the way, I have no idea what my counter says if it's even still here. Let's see when I post.

G

Gwenn

Hi all. Well, I have been struggling too. I was banded in April 2008 and the most I lost was 58 lbs and now I am only down 30 lbs.....I had some issues when I got sick in September 2009 and had to have it drained....then I had some issues with Dr. Meilahn......I ended up hating him. So, here I am now, with a new doctor and just had a fill, so I am hopefully getting back on track. I really need this!!!

Hi everyone... All is well here. Had a fill in january to get myself back on track. Down about 15 since then. Another 15 to go to be back where I should be. Down about 90 from where I started.

I wonder how many of us April Bandsters haven't gained some weight back. I thought I was the only one (haven't been on this site in over a year). I had esphogus issues and had to have everything taken out of the band during a extremely stressful time in my life. I have gained about 50 pounds back. Wow just seeing that in print really hits home. I am trying my best to get back on track but feel like such a failure that I am back here fat again. My dr put 4cc's right back in my band once my esphogus was healed and I have no restriction this time where before I had 4 and was throwing up all the time but I was so stressed out that the stress was making me throw up and then my esphogus got messed up which just made me throw up even more. My dr is great but I hate to go back to him like this, guess I should just bite the bullet and go and get some real restriction. Thanks for listening all. Just writing this has been helpful.

Hi Handin Hand,

I know how you feel. I feel like a failure myself, but I am trying to remain positive. I was so excited when I got banded and was doing great with it, until I had gotten sick and I have just never been able to get myself back on track....even after several attempts. So, here I am again. I really need to get myself motivated. My old Dr. changed toward me when I wasn't a "sucess" for him. He beame very rude and the last time I saw him, he had given me a fill, which was too much and I had lost 12 lbs in 4 days, so I went in to have some removed. He was so pissed that he must have stuck me like 20 times and finally sent me to x-ray so he could get in. After that I was devastated.....but I found a wonderful doctor closer to me and he really wants to help me. I wish you luck!!!!

Hi Handin Hand,

I know how you feel. I feel like a failure myself, but I am trying to remain positive. I was so excited when I got banded and was doing great with it, until I had gotten sick and I have just never been able to get myself back on track....even after several attempts. So, here I am again. I really need to get myself motivated. My old Dr. changed toward me when I wasn't a "sucess" for him. He beame very rude and the last time I saw him, he had given me a fill, which was too much and I had lost 12 lbs in 4 days, so I went in to have some removed. He was so pissed that he must have stuck me like 20 times and finally sent me to x-ray so he could get in. After that I was devastated.....but I found a wonderful doctor closer to me and he really wants to help me. I wish you luck!!!!