Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any good cottage cheese flavorings?

I agree with trying different brands. To me any cottage cheese called "low fat" has a not so nice taste and not so nice texture. As someone already said, the high fat ones are generally very yummy, and since banded I cant eat a lot anyway!

DH is playing around in the kitchen (very grateful for), and he came up with something interesting w/cottage cheese. He's pureed cottage cheese / light cream cheese & lump crab meat. Stuff a small wheat pita pocket and baked them. Not quite Crab Ragoon - but very similar w/out the frying.

Oh man, I buy a cottage cheese at our local store that has 0% milkfat with pineapple--now it is super yummy!! I'll do 1/2 cup for lunch...:smile:

I'm not a huge fan of cottage cheese and when I was on my post op diet mushies stage I ate A LOT of it. But I figured if I am only eating a 1/2 cup at a time I'm not eating the nasty fat free stuff - so I ate the regular stuff and loaded it with dill and pepper. Made it tolerable. Actually all I ate for lunch on mushies was cottage cheese and all I ate for dinner was refried Beans, that's it. I found something I could stick with and rode it out the entire period lol

Me too, Ang (Beans and cottage cheese during "mushies")--I can eat the same thing for days, as long as it's something I like. I threw in some yogurts for lunch to change it up (and sometimes yogurt for breakfast!)

Aren't you glad those days are over!!!:lol: And I'm sorry for all of you that are going through/have yet to go through it.............:smile:

No you didn't kill it because I have to get my 2cents in. . .The question being...

When you eat refried Beans is ist the fat free kind???? Does it make you gassy and is THAT uncomfortable?

In my fam.. we've always made guacamole with cottage cheese, two avocados mashed up really well, and about 8 oz of cottage cheese, salt, pepper, crushed red peppers and garlic powder, Of course we normally do it with chips, but I could totally sit down with a spoon and eat it too!

Glad I read this.. I get my first fill tomorrow and I'll be back on mushies soon.

Keep the good tips coming!

Hi,

I'm new to this forum although have been reading it for a while. I am scheduled for my surgery on March 4th (which leads to a lousy pun about how I am going to "march forth' into a new life. lol). Actually, even though it was all my idea, I'm a bit scared at this time. I'll be alright though. If I lose enough to drop a few meds I'll be estatic.

Anyway, I'm on my two week liquid preoperative diet. I assume that most of you could eat yogurt and cottage cheese on it. I'm really getting tired of cottage cheese and have even tried flavoring it with taco seasoning for variety. I was wondering if anyone else was equally tired of the stuff and found other, more exciting, non-fruit flavorings.

Have you tried using a fruit spread in your cottage cheese? My girlfriend turned me on to raspberry (i use simply fruit) mixed into the cottage cheese...yummm!!!!

Mixed with spaghetti sauce and some parmesan cheese, it tastes like lasagna. The cottage cheese gets melty and resembles riccotta (sp?)

Super yummy, don;t even miss the Pasta.< /p>

PS I add ground meat to my spaghetti sauce.

Amsderb, I just buy the "original" refried Beans in a can. (I know I tried the fat-free and think I found them to be too dry and mealy). Besides, I put shredded cheese on it before I nuked it, so what the dif??!!

You'll find that you can eat so little after banding that carbs become your enemy, Proteins become your BFF, and for fats? Who cares! Proteins is numero uno and what comes with, comes with...:crying:

When I was on the soft ("mushies") diet, I ate a lot of cottage cheese, and I found that Breakstone's had the best taste for lowfat, by far. I wouldn't dare touch 4% because of the high fat content. I find that just a small amount of stawberry Polaner's All fruit spread and a dash of Splenda mixed in a serving size made the cottage cheese taste really good.

Even though I am on regular foods now, I still enjoy cottage cheese for a meal, because the Protein fills me up. I also enjoy a little bit of canned peaches or crushed pineapple (in fruit juice) in my cottage cheese. It really makes a nice meal, coupled with a small salad.< /span> :crying:

I was watching good eats while I was trying to make myself tired and he was doing a show about pomegranetes (sp?) and he showed the little beads from the inside mixed in with cottage cheese...But from my understanding its a little bit of work to get to the beads in the pomegranetes.. Just a thought

Amsderb, I just buy the "original" refried Beans in a can. (I know I tried the fat-free and think I found them to be too dry and mealy). Besides, I put shredded cheese on it before I nuked it, so what the dif??!!

You'll find that you can eat so little after banding that carbs become your enemy, Proteins become your BFF, and for fats? Who cares! Proteins is numero uno and what comes with, comes with...:huh2:

Thank you make 33. Today in my preop class I learned we should use olive oil, canola etc...because you are right, we need a little bit if fat ...so thanks because that sounds better to have the real deal...

I think I will love cottage cheese again too....Too funny the type of "rules" we will now get to break and learn to eat "not on a diet!"