Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Hi Everyone,

I am so jealous of you all. I wish I still had my band. I am struggling to stay on Weight Watchers and even when I do I am pretty much maintaining my weight. The minute I go off my plan I gain again. This is why I went for the band in the first place. I had my band removed last October because I had a dilated esophagus caused by

the band being too tight or actually too small. I had a 3cc band and even when it was unfilled it was too tight for the esophagus. I cried when the doctor told me I had to have it removed. Even though I had no fill for a year before it was removed just having it there gave me enough restriction to keep me from gaining. I have considered the sleeve but I hate the thought of another surgery and I don't know if my insurance would cover it. I am so frustrated. Christine hang in there, I hope your RNY goes well for you. Those of you who are still struggling try the 5 day pouch test and that always seemed to get me back on track. Best wishes all of you.

Kathy

Wouldn't your Dr put in a larger band? My poor sister has been through 3 lapband surgeries. This last one was b/c after two surgeries they figured out her band was too small so they gave her a bigger one.

Lynn... Sorry to hear about your troubles. Glad you are trying to get back on track and taking care of yourself.

I've lost 14 pounds since March 9th. However, the scales have stopped moving which I hate. I've been trying to change up my exercise so I am not getting bored so that helps some. My youngest is going through some clingy faze so its making it difficult for me to go to the gym.

Hi everyone, 4 years since my surgery. I have to say my journey had been an interesting one. I have to honestly say I am very happy I had my surgery but I must honestly say I no longer enjoy food the way I used to. One benefit to lap band instead of Ru en y... I can eat anything I want, no limitations except for the amount. Am still not filled all the way but can only eat very small portions. Gone are the days of eating half a pizza or 2 burgers. Now a half of a yogurt can fill me up. Still have some weight to loose, can't eat big meals but have learned how to eat lots of small meals. Still a journey...

post-204836-13813134077372_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]24102[/ATTACH]

post-207154-13813134077682_thumb.jpg

[ATTACH]24103[/ATTACH]

post-236700-13813139970928_thumb.jpg

post-236700-13813139971229_thumb.jpg

Hi all... It's been a long time since I've posted, but have been monitoring the thread over the last few months. Thanks to all of you for providing inspiration to lurkers like me. In some small way, i hope i can return the favor. As others have already noted, the last four years have flown by. I've lost more than 100lbs since being banded. I've always loved being active and now play competitive tennis 2-3 times a week, work out with a trainer once a week and walk home from work each day (about 1 mile). For the most part, that level of activity and my level of restriction has helped me keep the weight off. That's been true for the better part of the last year. But things have started to change. Slowly, but surely, the weight is creeping back up. I'm still working out and eating most of the same things, but I'm beginning to think my metabolism is starting to slow down. Has anyone else experienced this? It's disheartening. When I allow myself to, I start to feel frightened that a few slip ups will lead to a massive slide. I don't want to go backwards and I know how easy it could be to pack on the pounds.

I've scheduled a fill for this Thursday -- my first in over a year. Maybe it will jump start the next phase of weight loss, at least I hope it will. Like many of you, I'm tight in the morning and through lunchtime. The only "real meal" I can eat is dinner--the later the better. Getting a fill will mean liquids for 48 hours, mushies for a couple of days and even smaller meals for a couple of weeks after that. Anyone out there have tricks to fire up your metabolism? Am already lifting weights and doing plyometrics. What do you all do?

My band has given me my life back and I want to make it as useful as I can for the rest of my life. I'm beginning to realize tho, that I may have to adapt how I use it over the long term.

I had my band removed six months ago but I am wondering why you have to go on liquids for 48 hours and then mushies for a couple of days. Does your doctor have you do that after each fill? My doctor only had me go on liquids for 24 hours and then I could resume regular eating. Funny how different doctors have different ways of having us do things with the band.

Hi Wishin! I think all the docs have different plans. They were very strict where I had my surgery. I haven't been to a support meeting lately, but I know things had changed. My docs said they had you on liquid and then mushy food to allow you to heal. Honestly, right after my surgery that was plenty.

So, anyway, I am starting to walk again. I fell off the boat as far as food lately and am trying to get back into the swing of things. I can't get more in my band because when I do that I can hardly eat anything. (if something gets stuck it is REALLY bad). So, now it is up to me.

So, here is to hoping we all continue to walk the healthy path.

I had my band removed six months ago but I am wondering why you have to go on liquids for 48 hours and then mushies for a couple of days. Does your doctor have you do that after each fill? My doctor only had me go on liquids for 24 hours and then I could resume regular eating. Funny how different doctors have different ways of having us do things with the band.

I guess different docs have different guidelines, but I do remember that liquids for 48 hours was helpful during the last fill. I'm sure there's a physiological reason, but it also refocused me on "good band behavior." Actually, my doc called today and moved up my appointment for tomorrow at noon.

hopeinapril... congrats on taking up walking again. Don't know if you're interested, but I recently got a Nike Fuel Band (http://nikeplus.nike.com/plus/products/fuelband). I'm kind of a gadget girl, so it helps me to monitor how much I'm moving each day. It's a little pricey, but I'm finding it was worth the expense.

Well HELLO Shrinking Shamrocks!

Ups & downs that about sums it up.

Highest 280 before band 11/07, 255 on day of surgery 3/08, lowest 207 on 3/09, 264 on 2/11, 224 on 11/11, 225 2/12, 212 today.

I saw Dr regularly the first year then didn't see him until Feb 2012. I was terrified to go back, I thought he would see me as a failure. (Didn't happen!) I've had 3 fills since then and a berium swallow to make sure band was still placed correctly. Dr says from here on if I dont continue to loose and keep it off then its up to me to see a nutritionist to work on that front. Guess what- his office now has a full time nutritionist on staff that my insurance covers!

When I have the money I get support with a gym membership. But I've learned activity only helps me maintain. Activity plus attention to nutrition equals slow weight loss.

This journey has been a challenging one. I've had to put alot more energy into learning what works for me. When I started the band journey I had tons of optimism. With the regain 2 years in and the struggle to reloose I am more realistic about what it is going to take to keep the weight off.

Im glad Im not the only one to struggle.

I still have never had problems with food getting stuck, reflux or other band related problems. TYBJ! I am very sad to hear of all the problems other Shamrocks are having. Especially the ones that have had them removed.

Went to get a fill last week and it was a bit of an adventure. Doc said I needed an UGI before he'd add more. The reason: concern that my lack of feeling full meant that I'd dilated my pouch. Luckily radiology could see me right away and I got tested and went back to my doc within the hour. Sweet. The good news: Very minor dilation and nothing to be concerned about. Still, he'd only give me small fill since the UGI showed that I was restricted. He added just .4. Not sure if it's in my head, but I feel it. For example, I used to easily have a large cup of chunky Soup. Now, barely a medium and I'm full. Sounds small, but makes a big diff in the long term.

The challenge for me now is to remember what portions should make me full, then stop and visualize the size of my pouch. I don't want to enlarge it, so being mindful of its size is helpful with Portion Control. Exercise is obviously key. I try to get 12k to 15k steps in a day, plus working out and playing tennis helps. It ain't easy tho and I feel blessed that the band has been more friend than foe.

The longer I have this thing, the more I realize that it's less about a specific target weight that I'm trying to hit. Being 170.2 lbs isn't necessarily going to make me happy. What will make me happy in a sustainable way? Keeping active, making a higher number of good choices rather than bad ones, and learning to listen to my body. It's a struggle. But I just keep reminding myself that I'm worth it. The better I take care of myself, the better I can take care of my family.

I had my band out due to a slip and revised to RNY on Feb 21. I am now down to 205 which is 3 pounds higher than I was when I was at my lowest post lap band. I miss being able to eat sugar ( I dump on even tiny amounts of sugar). My tastes have changed tremendously since the RNY. I used to love Protein shakes and now choke them down. I have difficulty with hard Proteins still even with the band out, so it was not the band causing my delayed gastric emptying. I no longer throw up on a daily basis but other than that I really feel the band was a better life for me. It's a learning process and I'm scared about malabsorption of Vitamins and minerals. I have to say that I am rarely hungry which is different than my experience with the band. My last two years with the band I could not really fill enough because of the delayed gastric emptying so I was hungry but when I ate anything besides slider foods I had to make it come back up after a few hours because it would not go down.

So I just wanted to post an update. It's good to see familiar names around here. Hang in there and keep with it. I wish I had chosen Greek yogurt over Hagen Das and soft cooked veggies over Ben and Jerry but alas I did not, so now I chose RNY. For better or worse.

Good luck to everyone. Keep using the tool.

Christine

Hello!

Well, back on the food bandwagon. I let myself off for my birthday, but am back on again. (I need to stop celebrating my birthday for several weeks!!)

Cool gizmo, hungry. I may check into it further. Interesting dr visit. Glad it worked out for you. I have found that losing weight is easier than keeping it off. I agree it is about finding balance.

Hey Ajoneen. I have had my ups and downs as well. Glad we are both back on the downward trend. There is a nutrionist at my docs office as well. I hope you find them helpful.

Christine - thanks for the update. There are times when I have considered having that surgery. That whole dumping thing sounds vastly unpleasant. Congrats on your weight loss. Getting under that 200 # is a goal of mine.

I have seriously considered getting my band removed. I have also considered getting roux en y. I see a march 2008 bandster converted. I feel like the band was a huge mistake. I can curb my sweet tooth. I hate fills and were traumatic for me...I would most times swell shut and can not tolorate my own spit, so maybe converting to another procedure would be better.

I have seriously considered getting my band removed. I have also considered getting roux en y. I see a march 2008 bandster converted. I feel like the band was a huge mistake. I can curb my sweet tooth. I hate fills and were traumatic for me...I would most times swell shut and can not tolorate my own spit, so maybe converting to another procedure would be better.

good morning!

The ups and downs of being banded. Well, I am working on getting my weight down again. It is a constant struggle. I am not sure, but I think I would trade my love of food for a decent weight. It just seems wrong for me personally to have spent so much of my life dealing with food and weight. sigh! I find that liquids for a day or so help get my pouch back to size. I have mentally considered a different surgery as well. It is very frustrating!

I am not really as negative as this post seems. I still am down from where I was. Even with my recent weight gain of a few pounds, I am still in the same clothes. For me to "catch" myself this early in the weight gain is very good. Maybe I am learning?

I tried to post last night I thought it worked. Lol I was banded in 2008 it was a great moment in my life, I lost 100 +lbs. I followed the rules to the T.... I did the fills and unfills. Yes, traumatic, but I did it. Still happy I was not a hepher. In 2010 I started to have problems, couldn't swallow my own spit, after a fill, them another unfill, the I vot serious reflux, to the point of ER. Finally at the end of 2010 it was time to have the band removed sure to a serious slippage anda mass of other problems, to no fault of my own or the Dr. he was one of the best banders. In the end my personal belief the band should only be temporary max 2 to 3 not only due to my experience, but thru the exp of a multitude of others. Since then in March 2011 I had a revision gastric sleeve, one of the best decisions i've ever made, no more fills, unfills, side affects, posdible slippage, throwing up, reflux, meds, for reflux trips to the Dr, etc. a year 1/2 later I'm down to 150. A total weight loss done my journey began of 171. I've never never had 1.single issue writhe the sleeve. I'm n a size 6 and happy I got the band object out. And to add, the removal of the band was quite traumatic that was only supposed to be a45 minute surgery, but due to the slippage and the erosion it caused in other organs it was over a 2 hr surgery. Dr zane from kaiser made a enlightening statement to me that day, that as long as bands are being installed he will stay in business removing and revising nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo matter who or what Dr inserts them, the band should only be a temp fix. Check into getting a revsion. The gastric sleeve. How this helps.....

I just wanted to give a bit of encouragement to all of the banders, as a previous bandie myself, I read all the affects of the band good and bad, all the Liquids, throwing up, fear of slippage, constant reflux, back and forth with fills, unfills, tight to tight, measuring each bite, and soooooooooooo much more. Don't get me wrong the band works, I lost 100lbs, however; there is a major downside, they slip, they cause constant problems, I was soooooooooooo desperate to lose the weight and keep it of I refused to tell them Dr,.how sick I really was,.finally after months and months of throwing up, and not bring able to even swallow my own spit, the Dr sent me to have UGI, I was horrified when he told me I have to have it removed, it had slipped so bad it was affecting my nearby organs, ie: esophagus, intestines, and bowels. Even though dr explained the severity of the situation I was trying to figure out when I could have it replaced or fixed, Dr, explained there was so much damage to my stomach that it was not possible, all I could do is cry, I had lost all this weight, 100 lbs,followed every rule given to me survived all the side affects, that's when he suggested and advised me about the gastric sleeve, I was all ears, I was expecting the band to be removed and the sleeve to be completed I was to happy, however; that's not how it works,.due to the damage of the band I had to wait 5 months to have the sleeve. I had my surgery March 25 2011, the surgery is short and sweet and Way way less painful than the band, and the best part is the portion of the stomach that is removed is that it contains the hormone that tells u your hungry, that in itself was great news. Done of the same rules apply for the sleeve as it did with band, ie: liquids, for 3 to 4 Weeks, to let your new tiny stomach adjust, then full liquids, etc, as time goes by you're able to eat as anyone and everyone without gaging, throwing up, fear of the BAND!!!! Yes, you eat very little, but its very liberating to be ale to eat what u like,in small portions. Its been over a year and Im the happiest I've ever been, I still am losing not intentional, its just a natural response to eating in very small portions, and I eat all the foods I liked before, ive also made lifestyle changesthis does not come without my own effort, I don't drink during any meal, that was a hard one, I don't drink soda, I still have a burger, but of course I only eat 1/4 of it, or 1/4 of hot dog, or a 1/2 slice of pizza, but let me tell you its the best few bites Of my favorite food, all while still losing weight,.and enjoying life... 150 lbs from 321. :)