Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Special K, I think we all have to keep following our own hearts in this matter and not try and please anyone else but ourselves. I am doing pretty well. I am continuing to eat the same amounts I ate when banded. I haven't had any fierce hunger pangs which was my biggest fear. One of the best things is I have no heartburn and no reflux. Halailujah!! That was really a rough thing to deal with all the time. I now know for sure the band was causing it. I haven't lost any weight but I am working out 5 days a week again. My incision sights are still a little sore for two of the four. Once they stop hurting I can wear my jeans again. I have been living in my workout pants.

I go back for my post op on Nov 1st. I am pretty sure I don't want to go with another band. If I do anything I will shoot for the vertical sleeve. But I stiill have to research it.

Kathy

Fenton-

Thank you so much for posting about Dr. Drew and recovering addicts. You made me see that when I try to make everything a priority I am setting myself up for failure.

I am a mom who works a high stress job, parents two children by myself bc my husband works on the road, etc..... I have to approach my recovery as a daily responsibilty.

Thanks for the new perspective.

Hi all,

Not sure if anyone remembers me, I haven't posted anything here in forever. I'm getting ready to re-commit myself and finish this thing for once and for all. I lost weight steadily for about the first year, then maintained a loss of 65-70 lbs until back in the spring when I stupidly decided to have a little Fluid taken out of my band. It was a mistake, and I've been in free fall mode ever since then. Since April, I'm back up about 15-20 lbs. I've gone up in pants size and I am completely disgusted with myself. I have a fill scheduled for tomorrow morning, so I'm treating tomorrow as the point of no return. Getting some good restriction back will make things easier, but I have also got to learn to put the wine glass down. I really enjoy a glass of wine (sometimes two) at night after I get my kids in bed. It helps me wind down and shake the day off. But, I know from past experience that I don't lose whatsoever if I am drinking anything alcoholic. So, I'm just going cold turkey. Which is fine, I have done it before. I'm just going to miss it!

Also, I have been battling hip bursitis since July so that hampers my exercise plans. I want so badly to get back on the treadmill (I completed Couch to 5K last year!), but it only exacerbates the problem. I have had two rounds of oral prednisolone, the second stronger and longer than the first, in an effort to avoid getting the dreaded steroid injection in my hip. I am terrified of it, but I think in the end I know it's what I'm going to have to do. Anyone with any experience having this injection? It's the greater trochanteric bursa, and I'd probably be much easier to just go and have it done if I hadn't read so much about the injection technique...the needle is advanced until it hits the hip bone, and then it's withdrawn a few mms and the injection is given. Something about knowing the needle is going to actually touch my bone just freaks me out. It's funny, I used to be a veterinary technician (before I had kids and quit working to stay home with them), and I assisted in surgeries all the time. Even lots of orthopedic cases, with bones and pins and drills, all that. Didn't bother me! But this? I'm scared to death!

Okay, I'm rambling. I'll stop. It's good to see a lot of the same names here as three years ago. I'm going to try to show up here more often, maybe I can get motivated and hopefully help someone else get motivated too, after I get my own ball rolling again.

Hi Stella,

Welcome back. It's great that you are getting a fill and will begin losing again. Use the tool.

I am completely empty right now and my band has slipped. I hae already gained 6 pounds in the 3 weeks since I was unfilled. It's horrible. i am trying to make the right choices and simply not doing the right thing. So hard to admit that the head stuff has not changed.

Kathy hope you are doing well post surgery.

Special K and Fenton...sounds like you guys are doing well with staying on track. It's amazing the journey we all have been on.

Christine

Hi Stella,

I know once you are filled again you'll do fine. I was unfilled for a year and gained back 20 pounds and now that I am unbanded I am trying my hardest to not gain any more. I am working out 5 days a week and trying to make good choices when I eat. I feel like since I lost the bulk of my weight with the band I can maybe maintain or lose the remaining weight. What a struggle. I thought my days of struggling with weight were over once I was banded. Who knew I would be in this situation 3 years down the road. Hang in there and keep active on this board, it does help. Christine, any idea how long your doctor will keep you unfilled? Sounds like Special K and Fenton are doing alright, at least it seems that way. I hope they are and anyone else who hasn't checked in here in a while.

Kathy

Hi all

I haven't been around but am doing kind of OK. I have a special request. I seem to remember somebody going to a support meeting and getting some really good information on how to survive the holidays. Anyone remember that??? Do you still have it?? I could surely use it about now. THANKS!!!

(PS wow things have changed around this site!!)

Hi Everyone,

I haven't been out here in quite awhile and after reading a few of the posts, it appears that a few of us are just now posting again after being off the board for awhile. I had to go back to my surgeon 5 weeks ago for an unfill because I was getting stuck on food 4 to 5 times a week. Since that time, I've put on about 8 pounds. I am hungry all of the time and haven't been able to control my eating habits..... I go back next week for a fill and can't wait. Luckly, during the last 3 1/2 years since the band went in, I've only gained 15 pounds which I'm grateful for, but knowing that 8 of those pounds have come on in the last 5 weeks is very discouraging. sad_smile.gif I'm hoping to get through the holidays without gaining anymore and try to get back on the bandwagon come the first of the year, you all know how hard it is around the holidays, I know I'm just making excuses but I just can't get my head into the game. I think I will start coming to this board again more regularly maybe that will help. Til next time, everyone have a good Christmas, in case I don't post again by then!

Teri

Long time, no post! How is everybody? I am happy to report that I am back on plan, and am losing at a good rate. I've dropped about 12 lbs. since January 5th. Got a fill about a week and a half ago and I have more Fluid in my band than I ever have. It has taken about 8 or 9 days for the fill to settle in and for the swelling to not be a problem anymore, but now that it has I think I'm at a perfect fill level. I'm tighter than I want to be later down the road in maintenance, but it seems to be optimal for weight loss. I'm really excited to see the scale moving again after an extended period of complacency, and I can't wait to go shopping in my own closet soon and find new things to wear! Hope everyone is well.

Hi everyone

It's time to have my band removed. After being unfilled in October due to band slipping gaining almost 30 pounds back and much research, I have decided to have bypass surgery. I really wish the band and I could have gotten along better. I asked about switching to VSG but my surgeon is concerned that with my delayed gastric emptying (which may or may not resolve when the band is removed) she would not want to take the chance that I would lose ll motility due to the portion of the stomach that is removed.

So I've been doing a ton of soul searching and Internet exploring to try to prepare myself for the journey ahead. I am scared, very scared, but I'm also scared of doing nothing and being 300 pounds again with high blood pressure and diabetes.

I wish you all the best of luck and am so grateful for all the support you have given me over the years!

Christine

Hi Christine,

I am sorry to hear you are joining the ranks of the Formerly Banded. I am sure your surgery will go well and I wish you all the best in having Gastric Bypass. Please keep posting on this forum so we can follow your progress. I still get the updates here even though I am not banded any longer. I am maintaining but not losing so far. I started back on plan (WeightWatchers) this week and have been really keeping on track. Hoping to lose the rest of the weight I need to lose without another surgery. I at least lost a net of 70 pounds so I don't have that much more to lose on my own. Looking forward to hearing about your surgery and your next chapter in weight loss.

Kathy

Stellabella,

I am happy to hear you got an adjustment. Most times that is all that is needed to get you back on track. Keep up the good work. Your losses are enviable. Now that I am not banded I have to just do it the old fashioned way. Have fun shopping your closet and the stores for new clothes.

Kathy

I just got a fill. First one in 2.5 years. It was SO HARD to call to make the appoitment and show up. I felt like a failure.

We'll see if this helps.

Hi everyone, well, since I posted last, I've had my band unfilled completely and have gained a total of 20 lbs which I am not happy about. My surgeon finally went to the fluro when doing fills and unfills so he had determined my pouch was enlarged and was hoping the pouch would go back to normal size and allow my band to reposition itself to its correct position.....well, no such luck, a couple of weeks ago, they performed an EGD and confirmed that my band has slipped, so I've made the decision to just have them repair it. I was given the option of having the band removed and then getting the Sleeve, but since i wasn't sure if insurance will cover a second weight loss surgery I opted to have my band repaired and hope it doesn't slip again. I'm still waiting for a surgery date but was told it should be in the next 5 or 6 weeks, hopefully, sooner. In the meantime, I've been trying not to put on anymore weight, I'm really disappointed in myself for gaining what I have back and can't seem to get motivated to diet the old fashioned way, am I bad???

Wow I should have checked back more recent. It sounds like we are all in the same boat! I had my lap band unfilled Sep 10 and went on a super strick diet and lost 60 lbs in 5 months. Of course gained it all back during the next year. I just called and set an appointment to have mine filled again and hoping this will work this time. Ugh. I have been taking some natural supplements and herbs that are working and I'm slowing losing the weight, however I think the added benefit of some restriction might speed up the process. Otherwise I am considering getting the gastric sleeve. So tired of this weight issue!

Hello to my March 2008 Bandsters. I have not been online here at LBT in forever and thought I'd post a little picture and thank you here as St. Patrick's Day 2008 was my bandiversary -- 4 years -- can't believe how time has flown by. I'm maintaining about 120 lbs of my loss and fighting with 15 lbs I want to lose and never see again. Hope to hear from anyone else still posting here.

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/gallery/image/43758-kathy-4th-bandiversary-with-good-luck-bear-2012-0317/