Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

How are you going, Kathy? I hope you've been able to gather momentum on this.

Things are going well for me. I'm losing weight rapidly, never hungry, feel good. I'm locked in the zone - just trying to figure out how to sustain this.

I had an odd episode this week: the woman who was probably the major trigger in my derailment emailed that she was coming to NYC, and wanted to see me. I declined, and then I'd realized what her real motive was - the initial period of exhilaration was followed by bitter disappointment and sadness, but it didn't trigger a slide, or any indulgence at all, really. So I'm pleased about that. The episode also made me see her in a different light, although I don't want to revisit what we had through more cynical eyes.

Anyway, full steam ahead!

Fenton, that is so great!! To be able to see what is going on and avoid a backslide is such progress. I am happy that you are losing and gaining the momentum to stay focused. As for me, I had my barium swallow on Tuesday morning and when I drank the liquid it flowed down and stopped at the band and barely trickled through. Now, my band has been unfilled since last October. The doctor had turned the televison screen toward me to allow me to watch along with him and the lab tech, he said "Well, it's doing the same thing. I'm afraid we'll have to take the band out." I asked him if that is what it's done the last 3 times I had this test and he said yes. Now, I am not a medical person but in my way of thinking, if you remove the saline from the band the liquid should flow through without stopping. Why is it stopping? So, I am not just having this band removed without some answers as to why and what has happened with it. Also, I feel he should have had me to his office for a consult on my options such as possible conversion to another form of weight loss surgery or even a larger type band. To stand in an xray room and tell me he'll have one of the girls in the office call me to schedule the removal of my band was unfeeling of him. I"ve lived with this band for 3 1/2 years and I just am not ready to give up on my dream of losing this weight. I have no idea if my insurance company would approve another surgery but I've scheduled a meeting with him and my husband wants to be a part of it.

I'm sorry to hear you're still in the wars. I hope the band starts behaving.

But the fact is that the band didn't do all the work - you did it. At the end of the day, it's easy to eat around the band and put weight on - I know. It requires focus and effort to go all the way. So even if the band *is* removed, it's up to you whether or not you put weight on. YOu know your situation, you are probably aware of your triggers - it's up to you.

Yes that is true. I was only able to eat a little bit around the band when it was filled and I was satisfied with small amounts. But since the band has been unfilled I gradually eat a little more than before. I am hoping that this will all work out for the best. I am trying not to eat between meals and using a small plate and trying to eat the smaller portions. The 5 day pouch test helped me with these.

I am hanging in here - still at 127 lbs off out of the 140 I had reached and I'm getting some counseling to help me with my family stress which is what is driving me to poor eating choices so I feel I can get turned around and back in control. My motto is 'Never Go Back' to where I was. There is a meeting o my hospital's bariatric patients this month and I am going to get some in person support. The girls I used to see each month at my local mall have all gotten busy with their lives and we don't have that connection any more either. So I guess you could say its time to just live the rest of time now with finding motivation from within - ultimately I am the one who has to carry these pounds around.

Let me know if you'd like to be an offline email buddy and I'll send you a private message with my email address because I haven't been good about checking here but do keep up on Facebook and my email.

Kathy

Yes that is true. I was only able to eat a little bit around the band when it was filled and I was satisfied with small amounts. But since the band has been unfilled I gradually eat a little more than before. I am hoping that this will all work out for the best. I am trying not to eat between meals and using a small plate and trying to eat the smaller portions. The 5 day pouch test helped me with these.

Kathy, I would like that very much. I am having my surgery on Monday Oct 17th to remove my band. I am still not really happy about it but I have no choice at this point. I went for my pre-op appt yesterday and when I saw the surgeon he said he would check out my stomach during surgery and if necessary he would do something to it preparing it for a future surgery of possibly a vertical sleeve or another, larger band. I never went to any of the support meetings after my surgery since it was 75 miles away and always in the evenings. I didn't want to have to travel that far at night during winter weather. I'm sure I would have gotten help in those meetings but they just didn't have any closer to my home. They have started having appointments at our local hospital twice a month where the surgeon comes here which is nice.

I am going to try and eat healthfully and not have any tempting foods in the house. I refuse to gain any more weight back than I already have. Initially I lost 97 pounds but I have put back 20 pounds. My jeans are tight and I will not get a larger size. I am back at the gym five days a week. I had two months where we were in our rv and I couldn't get to the gym but things have gotten back to normal now. I think it is so great that you've lost 127 pounds. I think it would be great to have a buddy who was banded the same day I was.

Good luck, wishin' - you know you can do this! The band isn't some weird, magical thing that guarantees success: the success comes from YOUR hard work, and YOUR will power. We all know how to eat around the band, but you choose not to. It sounds like you have all the motivation you need, what with your gym-going and whatnot. You're just going to have to stick it out, and promise yourself not to go back to where you were.

I am a bit of an expert on backsliding - I originally lost about 110 or so pounds, then fell off the wagon, and put back on about 70. I've pulled myself up short, and turned things around, so now I'm back to about 85 down from my original weight - 25 more to go to get back to my max loss, which seems do-able within the next couple of months.

The things I find most helpful are charting my intake on livestrong.com's Daily Plate feature, and forcing myself to weigh in regularly. It's harder to cheat when you know you have to face the scales...

Check in and let us know how you're doing!

My band has slipped. I went for an esphogram yesterday and it shows that the majority of my stomach has slipped up through the band. I have to go for another surgery. I need to meet with my surgeon on Nov 10th. I am unsure as to what my options are insurence wise. I am thinking about switching to the VSG, but I'm not sure. Doing my research about it. I think my surgeon is going to direct me to just getting a new band, or just moving the one that is in there already. Not sure what to do. For now I have an open band and hope for very little weight gain during this time.

Sorry I have not been on the boards often at all. Good to see some familiar names around. Congrats to all that made it to goal and keep up the good work to all who keep using their band...the tool we chose.

Christine

I am sorry to hear that your band has slipped Christine. I know you must be feeling like I do right now. If they are able to repair it without replacing it would that be okay for you? I know many people who are switching to the VSG but like you said, sometimes the insurance won't approve that. I will have to wait approximately one year for my esophagus to heal before another surgery can be considered so I am thinking that I need to really start counting those calories and keep going to the gym every day. I don't know what the future will bring but I do know that every day counts so good luck to you on your surgery and please post here so we can keep up with you and how it goes for you.

Kathy

Good luck to you Kathy with your surgery on Monday. Do you have esohagitis? Why do you have to wait so long before moving on to another surgery? WHay can't they do it at the time of removal? My MD is sure she can either just move this band or put a new one...I just have questions about the VSG since I have had so may complications with my band and supposed delayed gastric emptying. I have to wait a month to meet with the surgeon again and then on to surgery.

Since my band has slipped down instead of up it is easier for me to eat more than I have been able to before. I have to be careful not to gain a ton of weight. So I am right there with you.

DId you have to do a restriced pre-op diet before the removal? I forgot to ask about this.

Good luck on Monday. I'll be thinking of you.

Christine

No Christine I have a dilated esophagus and it's all stretched out. When I swallow the barium or whatever the liquid they use now it doesn't go right through my band. It sits there and barely trickles through. I am not sure why and I am hoping the doctor will be able to see what is going on when he does the operation. He said it would take 6 months to a year for my esophagus to heal. I don't have a restricted diet befpre my surgery. However I am only eating 1200 calories a day. Thanks for your good thoughts. I will make an entry here after my surgery.

Hello ! I haven't been on here in quit awhile and didn't think I needed this support group any more. For the last few weeks I've been getting emails from here and I recognized some of the names. I realized that I do need the help and the support this group offers.So I hope you don't mind me joining in. I thought I was the only one still struggling to get the weight off and keep it off. I was down to five pounds of my goal weight and my "friends" kept telling me I looked sick and was not my happy go lucky self any more and should gain some weight back. So using that as an excuse to eat I ate and gained thirty pounds back . I was over eating so much that I was throwing up in my sleep . The pouch was so full that I had streched out my esophagus and it was also full of food and that was why I was throwing up when I laid down. They took some Fluid out so I don't have the restriction that I had but it made me aware of what I was going to myself.So now I'm trying to get back on track lose the weight I gained and the five pounds that I wanted to lose. I just started to date after a long long long time of being by myself which is very hard thing to do considering the fact that I have always used food to satisfy or crush my emotions. Should be instresting.

Hi all, I had my band removed yesterday. I am feeling pretty good today, other than soreness at each incision site. My throat is sore however from the tube that was put down it during surgery. Somehow they caused my uvula to swell to twice it's normal size. I feel it hanging in my throat and it's pretty strange feeling. I guess in time it will be alright. I am going to attempt to continue eating the same portion sizes I've gotten used to these past 3 1/2 years and hopefully I can continue to lose weight. This may be wishful thinking since my hunger may kick back in and then I will be starving all the time like I used to be. I will continue to count my calories and go to the gym (as soon as I am healed). The doctor told me that my stomach looked good (in fact he gave me some pictures of it) and I can either go with another larger band or the vertical sleeve when my esophagus is healed.

Kathy

Kathy, I am glad that your surgery went well. I hope and pray that your esophagus returns to normal and that you are able to keep the weight that you have worked so hard on losing, off. Keep in touch.

Christine

Hi ladies and Fenton -- I wanted to check in and let you know that I'm doing better! I finally got over the shame of my regaining about 15 pounds and I made an appointment to see my lapband surgeon for another fill in a week or so. I feel it can be a difference for me. I am working out in the gym. I am getting some counseling help to get over the crazy family stress I have been under in the last year and a half. I am proud that I made it through some big storms of life and am still where I am but it feels like I have turned a corner. Will check back in and let you know more.

I'm still glad we have this forum to keep reaching out for support. My family has lost interest when I stopped losing, same with some friends. So I have to do this for me!

Sorry you had to have your band removed but I hope your esophagus heals and you can decide what's best for you.

Fenton - congrats on not letting a woman get the best of you. I'm hoping I can say the same if the right man comes along that I won't get hung up on wanting to lose weight to please him and then get derailed. Stay strong.