Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Oh yes, I remember that.

Well, satiety isn't my issue. I feel pretty full for good while on almost any quantity of food.

But I'll bear that in mind, particularly as I go down in weight, and the band becomes less restricting.

When are you going to begin, ajoneen?

When are you going to begin, ajoneen?

Begin what?

I've been tracking my food & exercise for the last week on SparkPeople. Accountability and all that.

I'm holding off on the 5 day pouch test for now. Can't say why, it just doesn't seem the right time.

I'm getting out and playing golf twice a wk(I walk, not ride) and the driving range once a wk for at least 1 hr.

Mainly I'm being more responsible and conscious for food choices and making time to move my body.

How are the other Shrinking Shamrocks doing??

Checking back in... I just don't get a chance to come here often -- heck, I don't even get to read People online anymore! This working outside of the home and commuting is really taking up a lot of time. :bored:

Special K, how's your job search going? Keep telling everyone you know that you're looking -- you never know who will put you into contact with your next employer. That's how virtually everyone I know has found their next situation (myself included), never through answering ads or submitting resumes without an inside contact. At least you have recruiters working with you, that should help.

The thing with the soft foods (ooh, curries!) vs. hard Proteins is that they slip through the band faster, and of course, the longer your pouch feels a stretch from having food in it, the longer you (presumably) will not feel hunger. So you definitely don't want to speed the process by washing the food through by drinking with your meal. I'm a big fan of soft foods -- I just like them better. I guess that's one of my not good eating habits. Amanda and Fenton, is all that yummy sounding H&H Soup local to NYC only or can those of us not lucky enough to be there get it too? I was drooling just reading the varieties they have!

I've been spending more time talking with my surgeon's staff and they emphasize "satiety" rather than "fullness". It's hard to stop eating something tasty (why would I bother eating something yucky??) when I just hit the "no longer hungry" point rather than the "I'm full and one more bite will be too much" point. At least my capacity is limited... :blink:

I have to concentrate more on that satiety/full dynamic. I rarely feel "full", and am getting better with feeling sated on the portions I assign myself.

I do think tracking intake is useful: yesterday, someone brought a small wedge of chocolate mousse cake to me. I didn't say No, but because I journaled it, I was aware all day how much of an impact the cake had on my total calorie count, and was forced to ask myself whether those few seconds of pleasure were worth it. I'd MUCH rather have had a larger serving of the Senegalese chicken Soup! (a new discovery, thanks ajoneen for the tip!)

(Oh, and Chica, I think Hale and Hearty is an NYC-area thing.)

I still try and journal, just to keep myself accountable and keep track of intake. I'm not as rabid about it as I was at first...after this long I've kind got a routine down pretty well.

I really had to learn that "full" feels different than it did before....and it feels different for me from day to day. Some days I'm super restricted and can't eat much of anything (today) and some days I can eat pretty much anything. It's weird, but it has become normal for me.

I'm working on maintenance right now.....if I lose five or so more, that would be stellar....but if I don't I'm happy staying right in this neighborhood.

Saw my ex over the weekend and hadn't seen him for a while....that was worth it all....just saying.

Edited by HarleyGirl

Haha, Harley! Living well is the best revenge...

Uh, if that's how you meant it.

Things are going well for me. I'm back in the zone, losing well, feeling good. Although last night was a bit of an epic fall for me - dinner with an old friend, a good restaurant, and a big caloric splurge. Bad, bad. But then today I woke up and carried on as if it hadn't happened...

But then today I woke up and carried on as if it hadn't happened...

That is a major triumph! No time and energy wasted, just on to the next day- good for you.

I find myself deliberately staying at a new weight for a couple of weeks at a time. When I feel comfortable and confident that I can stay there, I'm ready to drop a few more pounds and do. I know I can lose weight faster if I restrict my diet more, but too much restriction sort of panics me and I risk a binge, which would probably hurt like hell at this point.

Right now, I am down about 28 pounds. I vacilate between the idea of stopping at 175 or dropping to 155, which is the healthier weight for me on paper. In the past whenever I dropped to 165 or so, my old anorexic thinking starts to kick in and all of a sudden I find myself back in the crazy land of binge/starve. Maybe it's because I always hit a plateau about then and get frustrated and scared. Last time I was on WW, I lost 72 pounds- and simply could not make it to 75 pounds. Back up I went, and the regained pounds all brought friends.

Well, I need to drop below 200 before I start worrying about 175, but somehow my fingers got to typing and that story is what came out. I'm glad there is somewhere I can write that without having skinny civilians commenting on what they can't possibly understand. :ohmy:

Thanks, Llyra - it does feel like a significant step forward. I don't know if it is, though - when I'm in the zone, I'm in the zone, and it's hard to disrupt that process.

The problem is when I reach a certain point in the process, and lose momentum; I'm sick of eating without restriction, I'm tired of the constant mindfulness etc. And THAT is when I throw the baby out with the bathwater, and then throw the bath after the baby. I slip a bit, and I find I don't seem to care, and I continue to slip. And soon I'm not weighing myself, just telling myself - oh, I'll get back to it on Monday. And before you know it, I've abandoned the path, and plunged wholeheartedly into excess.

Your controlled descent plan sounds interesting, Llyra. I wonder if that's something I should try.

In other news, I was motivating myself last night by going through the Sartorialist website, looking for styles I thought might work for me when I get close to goal. Overweight men have the *worst* clothing options - it's like they thing everyone wants to dress as if they're at a tailgate party, or are happy walking around in jewel tones. I'm a man, not a kindergartener! I like somber colours, not vulgar ones. Bah!

I don't know how exercise fits into your plan, Llyra, but maybe what you could do is, when you reach one of your chosen plateau weights, use that time to beef up your exercise pattern. That might make it easier to slip down to the next weight stage.

The problem is when I reach a certain point in the process, and lose momentum; I'm sick of eating without restriction, I'm tired of the constant mindfulness etc.

Fenton, Are you still trying to do this on your own? Are you restricted to only getting fills once in a blue moon? Use the tool to your advantage and let it help you out. I know you've been able to accomplish serious weight loss wonders without any fill in the past, but you could make it easier on yourself and get back on track quicker by actually feeling the restriction that band can give you. Just a thought... :)

Exercise is more difficult than it used to be. I teach belly dance, walk, and take care of horses, but can't go at any of thos activities like I used to because of deteriorating knees. Weight loss helps, but the problem is hereditary. Of course, the suggested solution is to swim. but of all the boring activities on earth, swimming laps is right up there with watching paint peel. At some point I would simply drown myself to get out of it.

You hang in there, Fenton, and listen to what Chica says. :)

Llyra, Have you ever tried a Water aerobics class -- in the deep end of the pool? It's fun and a challenge to remain in the correct position (without drowning, of course). It beats laps and still lets you get in a workout without pressure on your knees. Plus I love being one of the young 'uns in the class, and I get inspired by the seniors who are way more fit that I am! :)

Hi guys....Fenton, Amanda and Chica good to see you guys back here. Chica I too have big issues with my band. I've been labeled band intolerant and am contemplating the sleeve procedure, but not sure how I'll afford it. In the mean time, I get fills and do what I can. I recently ended up in the ER and had to get an unfill, so now I have no restriction. I have started having esophageal spasms which cause me to aspirate on my own spit...apparently not band related. I need to see my GI guy again. Trying to fit that in to my schedule.

Chica...sorry to hear about your job situation and your mother passing and your band situation.

Amanda and Fenton you guys need restriction. If you can eat like you describe you are not restricted enough. Use the tool. It's your doctor's job to help you use the tool. If we could do this on our own we never would have gone through the surgery in the first place.

Special K sorry to hear about your job loss. I think with all the new confidence you have found since losing weight you will have a much easier time finding a job. Best of luck to you.

Christine

Llyra, Have you ever tried a Water aerobics class -- in the deep end of the pool? It's fun and a challenge to remain in the correct position (without drowning, of course). It beats laps and still lets you get in a workout without pressure on your knees. Plus I love being one of the young 'uns in the class, and I get inspired by the seniors who are way more fit that I am! :)

Actually, I think Water aerobics would be great fun. I teach at the local rec center and can take an hour of classes for every hour I teach. Hadn't thought about water aerobics! Thanks for the suggestion, Chica!

Christine, You've had a harder time with your band and GI issues than anyone else I can think of here, in addition to other life stresses. I've thought of you often as I've struggled with my band. I can't imagine all you've been through with it. I think the sleeve just might be a better solution for you too, but then I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV. :thumbup:

Yeah, money's an issue in getting a sleeve (I don't have any insurance coverage for this), but at least for the surgeon's fee, he's giving me a break as a "frequent flyer". Back when I got my band, he wasn't doing sleeves yet. In fact, I'll be his first band-to-sleeve (in one operation) conversion -- but the other surgeon involved has done these. I seriously hope my kids get great scholarships to college... :)

Amanda, did you ever get back to your Dr.'s office for a fill? I hope you told (or tell) him how the PA derailed you. :angry: Skip the embarrassment. If we could do this by dieting alone, we never would've gotten the band in the first place. These people are there to help us in our Quest for better health, and what's more, we pay them for that help. Go get some!! I was always so impressed with your athletic feats (didn't you do triathlons?) and your progress -- I know you can get back on track.

Special K, Any news on the job front? Best of luck out there -- I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you, though it's slowing down my typing...

Scrappy and Harley -- I just want to say, awesome accomplishments on your progress and beyond! I'm so happy for you both. How amazing!