Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

A coworker of mine had gastric bypass in April 2008 and he had complications and a laprascopic procedure turned into an open RNY and he was out from work for quite a number of weeks recovering. He of course lost drastic amounts of weight quickly. I saw him today and asked how he was doing. He shared some very interesting info. First, his bariatric surgeon has left town (he thinks the guy got fired) and he is regretting he went to the bariatric center he did because he ended up not liking his surgeon, evidently the nurses there were not good, etc. So, he now has been diagnosed with a hernia (I wonder if this is due to poor surgery techniques during the open RNY) and now he is going to my hospital's bariatric surgeon to get the hernia fixed. He's going to ask the surgeon while he is in there to just look and make sure the other surgeon did things okay. He said his original surgeon told him he had adhesions and that is why the laprascopic procedure got converted to an open RNY but he said that just doesn't make sense because he'd never had any surgeries before to have adhesions. He thinks it was just the skill level of the surgeon not being able to handle the laprascopic approach. Whoa. I don't know what I'd do if I didn't have confidence in my surgeon post op. So anyway, my coworker is at -130 lbs and he said he has leveled out and even recently gained some back. I am so happy I chose my lapband because I'm still going down steadily and I know I can still get adjustments to keep the right restriction going until I'm done. I'm anxious to see long term how he does compared to how I do since we had the two procedures around the same time.

Special--I'm really happy I had the band instead of the bypass too. They lose weight faster but they often have far more trouble with learning new eating and exercising habits than we do. In 5 -7 years their intestines adapt to the bypass by "learning" to perform much of the functions of a stomach -- e.g. the intestines dramatically increase their capacity to absorb calories and the weight comes back on because they often continue taking in too much food/calories. We can gain too but our restriction approach gives us a much better chance of not putting all those calories in our mouths in the first place.

Kathy-- I was thinking exactly the same thing you were - about us talking about PS! Isn't it amazing!? I'm a bit disappointed that I'm not at goal weight yet but I have to admit that it's at least partly my own fault because I have only recently gotten serious about exercise. Nevertheless, it's great to have gotten as far as we have after all those years of trying and failing to take off the weight. The band has gotten me a lot farther than I would have been without it!

I was very interested in your comment about "crinkled skin" because I have been staring at the flab hanging off of my upper arm. I don't see any "crinkles" but there is plenty of flab. It's a lot less flab than it was when I started and I still have 30 lbs (on an under 5 foot frame) to go. There is a small amount of skin stretch marks but not much. I'm wondering if I'm going to lose that flab through weight loss and toning or if I should ask the MD to liposuction my upper arms when he has me under for the breast reduction? Does anyone have any knowledge or advise on this?

Edited by Desdemona

Well.....my divorce was final this week.

I am proud to say that I have NOT resorted to stress/binge eating during this difficult time. I haven't lost any more weight, but I haven't gained either.

I'm quite sure, pre-band, this would have resulted in quite a jump in the scales.

I'm feeling good.....very hopeful about my future....and yes, even hopeful about my ex's future. We both deserve to be happy and it just wasn't going to happen together......

Anyway.....going to give myself a week or so to 'digest' all of this....and then back at it hard and heavy to get the last steps of this journey FINISHED!

Harley do exercise to relieve the stress maybe if you do it now it will become a habit. Sort of like eating to relieve stress had to start sometime and it became habit.

I think I am pretty well back to normal. I started back to walking last night for the first time I was gonna start a few days ago but it started to rain. I thought I might have have a hard time with walking and have to build my way up again. I did only walk about 20 minutes but it was pretty easy.

Going to my sons 25th birthday party tonight they are having a cook out and cake and ice cream. Hope I don't eat too much cake its one of my weakness's

Harley -- good to hear you're making it through these tough times. It is pretty ironic that every time I personally have felt really blown away by something I thought was just terrible, I was able to find something good on the other side I hadn't anticipated. I had worked 17 years for a large company and unfortunately the last 3 I had a boss from hell. I prayed, I tried, I cried, nothing seemed to make her change so I got counseling so I Could Change! Best thing I ever did. One statement that counselor said to me that I still remember 15 years later is this... the Price to Stay is equal to the Price to Go. You have to decide if you want to keep enduring the pain and struggles of where you are, or face the unknown and the certain pain of making the transition to something that might be better. It took me two years to let that fully sink in but when I did, I finished my MBA with flying colors, that company had to pay for it...and then when I graduated, I walked out that door and got a better job and have been at that company now 13 years. Not to say I haven't had times when I've been very down here too, but it was a lesson I told myself that I'd never accept abuse from any one person ever again in my life in the work environment especially, that I'll change jobs and scrub toilets if I have to, but I won't stay where I know its not right for me. I have had a 2 brothers who divorced cheating wives (goes both ways and they were equally devastated), 3 sisters get divorced and I kept thinking okay, I'm looking for my first Mr. Right...what are my chances. Haven't found him but each time I tried to lose 100 lbs to land the big boy of my dreams, things eventually went south, I saw them for what they were, and said, don't need this. The bad part of that is that I ate my way right back up the scale and gained that weight back. This time, its for ME, for getting healthy.

Sorry for the long post, but it just struck me how hard it must be for you not to eat at this point.

Hang in there Harley!

We have all had our struggles, whether personal, work related or for whatever reason.

I am like so many others a stress eater. and work right now is STRESSFUL. but managing it fairly well.

Harley - sounds like you are handling things well. When my ex and I divorces we shared the house for 6 months, until his new place was avaibale. we are now better friends than we were spouses. I even get together with his girlfriend's family for holiday's. My 2 girls are also included and it goes very well. Who would have thought that

Scrappy. My surgery is Wednesay. Total circumference bosy tuck and my thighs. After looking at my legs I decided to get that taken care of too. I plan on getting back to work after 3 1/2 weeks. My DR finally said that "may" be possible. I do have a desk job, so it may be feasible, but I am not going to rush things. Work is too stressful these days to go back too early and slow recovery. Hoping for a somewhat speady recovery..

Looks like a very hot week ahead for me here in Delaware. Crank up the AC.

Enjoy the weekend everyone

Lynn, best of luck to you on wednesday. My legs didn't really bother me, but now that my belly is gone my legs look huge. LOL. Guess we are never satisified.

Truthfully I am not totally satisfied with the tt. He did not tighten the muscle so I guess I really didn't have a Tummy Tuck. When I first started talking to the dr I asked him if he was gonna tighten the muscle, he said he was, but then I think it was the day of surgery he told me he wasn't gonna cuz he didn't want to move my port. I think maybe I should have insisted on it. He assured me I would be happy with what he was gonna do. I paid extra money to have the top part of my belly done and that part is still sort of saggy. The apron is gone and I am happy with that part. I keep asking him about the top part and he says just give it time, so that is what I am trying to do, but I have very little patience.

Hi Scrappy, Thank for your thought about your surgery. I just saw the PS on Tuesday and he said it was my option to have the muscles tightened or not. I am thinking that I am going to go that way. I want it all done at once. So he is submitting for the Panni and the mons lift. I do not think the mons lift will go, but he said that he has had great success getting it approved so we will see. He is the head of falculty for the hospital that I am going to. Also he works with a lot of weight loss people. So we will see. :biggrin: Thanks again for all of your insights. I appreciate it.

Katie K.

I will have the muscles tightened. The docotr deals with alot of weight loss & lapband patients, even my surgeon said he knows what to do with the port. so I am confident about that. As for my legs, I figured once the tummy weas done they would look out of proportion, so am getting them done. Also only in pain once instead of going back for more later ... I was told because of my age the tummy would not, could not/most likely be as tight as I would expect..age and elasticity of skin are that issue, but as long as the flb is gone. My TT will include some Lipo sculpting as well. Total cost for circumference TT and thighs, including overnight in hospital, anesthesia and whatever is needed while there, plus 1 year follow up with the plastic surgeon.. just about $15,000. My daughter will be my nurse for the first 3-4 days I am home.. As well as the TLC of my gentleman friend!!!

11:30am on Wednesday...

Good Luck Lynn!!! Please let us know how you are doing. I will be sending painfree thoughts to you. :crying:

Good Luck Lynn!!! Please let us know how you are doing. I will be sending painfree thoughts to you. :smile2:

painfree thoughts are welcome. I know it will be painful, but the results will be worth it.

Just want to get through work on Tuesday. It has been crazy and stressful.. only 8 hours at the office to go. Today a 10 hour day.. and got nearly nothing accomplished..

looking forward to the time off, just to get out of that place for a bit!

Holy Moly! I just checked in to see what was going on. This page is INTENSE!! --- We are going through some very big changes here!!! Me too. It makes me wonder what's happening? Is it just the times we're in or do you think we're just somehow in a place in our lives where we have decided to make major changes (including our weight and appearance)?

I'm waiting to hear about 3 very big decisions this week. 1 will affect income; 1 will determine if I change places of employment and 1 will dramatically change my body (breast reduction surg may happen as early as THIS Fri)!!

I need to ask a question about the band. I have come close to passing out 3 times within the past month. I have never passed out in my life so this concerns me. My blood, urine and other usual screens/checks are excellent. I had an MRI that checked all organs below my ribs. Band is in place. So far it has happened on afternoons that have all been muggy. I don't experience panic attacks but I'm pretty anxious these days because of current events. I think I was excited (and talking a lot) each time it happened. My MD once told me that the band can cause you to be short on breath. I'm wondering if that could be the problem and if I should have some saline taken out. Has anyone else had this problem?

Edited by Desdemona

Thought we could encourage each other with this one since we mostly have lost our lone male bandster tracking along with us. Keep going ladies. You are my inspiration and support.

God doesn't give you the people you want, He gives you the people you NEED. To help you, to hurt you, to leave you, to love you and to make you into the person you were meant to be.

One Flaw In Women

Women have strengths that amaze men.

They bear hardships and they carry burdens,

but they hold happiness, love and joy.

They smile when they want to scream.

They sing when they want to cry.

They cry when they are happy

and laugh when they are nervous.

They fight for what they believe in.

They stand up to injustice.

They don't take "no" for an answer

when they believe there is a better solution.

They go without so their family can have.

They go to the doctor with a frightened friend.

They love unconditionally.

They cry when their children excel

and cheer when their friends get awards.

They are happy when they hear about

a birth or a wedding.

Their hearts break when a friend dies.

They grieve at the loss of a family member,

yet they are strong when they

think there is no strength left.

They know that a hug and a kiss

can heal a broken heart.

Women come in all shapes, sizes and colors.

They'll drive, fly, walk, run or e-mail you

to show how much they care about you.

The heart of a woman is what

makes the world keep turning.

They bring joy, hope and love.

They have compassion and ideas.

They give moral support to their

family and friends.

Women have vital things to say

and everything to give.

HOWEVER, IF THERE IS ONE FLAW IN WOMEN,

IT IS THAT THEY FORGET THEIR WORTH.