Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

March Bandsters: MASTER THREAD

Scheduled an endoscopy for February 24th. Wish I could get it done sooner, but no ride since DH is in Hong Kong for a while still.

I find I am avoiding eating anything that will cause me discomfort. Thus anything that will stay in the pouch and do what the band is supposed to do. So I am eating soft foods and way too much ice cream. If I eat "real" food I am uncomfortable with burning and somtimes pain for about 2 hours after I eat. I just need some answers.

I will stop the ice cream, and try to get back into normal meal eating. My GI guy said to double up on my meds I've been taking since October on the really bad days.

Christine

HI guys,

I'm not sure if any of you remember me, it's been a while since I've posted. My name is Carrie and I live in Houston Tx. I'm also a Shrinking Shamrock. I've been following this thread off and on for the past (almost) year - gosh it's been almost a year!!! I feel kinda like a stalker because I've read about you guys during your journey, I feel like I know you all...

There are several reasons why I've stayed off on the sidelines, but the biggest one is that my band didn't work for me until October. I'll never forget the date, October 6th, because in some ways, it is more important to me than the day I got my band.I didn't get any restriction at all until the doc filled my band to 10cc's. Then finnaly it worked. It was a miracle. I've lost 47 pounds since then and I love my band!!! I didn't want to post on this very positive and supportive sight with all of my failure, so I stayed away. Now I feel the need to share, and say congratulations to all of you!! WOW - you guys have lost some serious weight!!

FENTON - 100 pounds.

I have to admit... I'm a little jealous.

Now, I feel a little bit like and intruder, or the 3rd wheel on a date, but I also feel like I'm talking to friends.

I'll tell you a little about myself, then maybe you won't feel like I'm a stranger.

I live in Pasadena (suburb of Houston) TX and I have 3 kids. I am happily married, and I teach English to 10th graders. I'm 37 years old and will be 38 in April. I lead a fairly uneventful life... I teach and I spend time with my family. I teach a night school class on Mondays and Wednesdays, and I'm currently using that as an excuse not to exercise. "I don't have time" is my favorite answer. I'm beginning to realize that it's just an excuse though and that I will have to eventually get off my shrinking rear end and get to the gym, or I won't shrink any more.

Since I've started to lose weight, I've begun to feel like part of the club, and you guys are an inspiration. I want to say thank you. Even though you may not know it, there are those of us out there who read the things you write and we are motivated to make this work for us too.

I'd really like to see some pics and put names to faces, where might I find those?? I'd also like to use them for a little push to get my butt to the gym. As soon as I hit 50lbs, I'm going to post some pics somewhere... just not sure where yet.

Well, I think I've said enough for now... I'll check back in soon.

And thanks again to all of you ... you don't have any idea what your posts do for those of us "on the sidelines".

Carrie welcome!!!

This is the most active band and although you have been on the sidelines I'm sure what others have been through sharing their journey has helped. Congratulations that you found your way. We have all struggled with what is our ideal restriction and at 7 cc's in a 10 cc band I am going to get more at my next visit. Good days and bad days but have been fortunate enough to lose at every visit...just a little amount. The stories here are enlightening and supportive and we come from all walks of life yet there is a trend in each of our experiences.

Continue to join our conversations and read what everyone says.....there is helpful information in everyone's story.

Sharon:)

:thumbup:

Edited by sharona

BRRRRRRRRR,,, does anyone else seem to have an issue with cold weather and restriction., It seems the cold weather has made eating tough at times.. Eating more soft foods lately.. I know it is not good, but everything else gets stuck after a few small bites.

You know Lynn I too haven't thought about this but there are more days that I can't take in anything but soft foods and I am in a COLD zone....I am careful about what I take in though making sure it is high in protein...usually go for the greek yogurt...I forgot who recommended this yogurt but thank you as it is a great standby....

Today I had a clinical to do and went to whole foods to get something to eat.... OH MY GOD>..they had a chocolate extravaganza going on throughout the store...you couldn't walk anywhere without someone there with something chocolate. I decided to buy a newman's candy bar that was 150 calories rather than graze so I knew how many calories I was taking in...and quickly grabbed my lunch and went back to work...

sharon:)

You guys are all amazing, I think I have lost the least in the entire group and sometimes get a little down about it....I can't believe it's going to be a year soon. I have had bronchitis x 2 in the last 8 weeks so have used that as an excuse to stay away from the gym. Planning to get back there this week. I really think this dreary weather doesn't help. Anyway, congratulations to you all...and thank you for your sharing with us all...we should think about a get together this summer. I think Fenton should stay in Paris until then and we can all go visit him....

hahahahahah......

Harley? You could be in your 150's by May, if you really wanted...

Yes, I think that's totally doable.....the lowest I've weighted in my adult life was 160....so it will be interesting!

I had a lovely greeting from my wii fit this morning........

it said I'm OVERWEIGHT....and not OBESE! So it was a happy day for me!

Sharona - smart of you to take the calorie hit you KNOW, rather than to pretend you're being good while grazing!

I've finally updated the headshot that goes out when I do interviews or for reviews - I'm down 100 pounds, and I don't look THAT different, but I'm definitely looking better.

Here's an interview with me, and my new photo:

Interrogating Jonathan Hayes - Author of Precious Blood | CrimeCritics

BTW, I don't talk about my band in public, although I figure at some point I will. I just know so many people I hate having to explain it over and over again, and to decide which people are close enough to know, and which I should just lie to.

It's a great interview, Jonathan.....

I don't know what you looked like before, but you're certainly a great looking guy now......love the beard.

Sharona,

You have lost more than I have. I am right at about 48 pounds, waiting to hit that 50 pound mark. Any day now!

Harley-

I too am planning on going on a cruise in May. My goal is also to be in the 150s by then. I know we can do it.

Hope you all are enjoying your weekend!

Erika

Loved the interview Jonathan! I think you are a Hottie! I have always had a thing for big guys....interesting that I married a guy very, average in build and only 5'6" tall. Hmmm.....

Anyway...great interview.

Christine

Harley, make it a goal for yourself and push it. Imagine how amazing you will feel when you get there.

I am having trouble with my goal of being under 200 by my 1 yr point. I am now in the size pants that I had set as my ultimate goal. I am still obese and need to keep losing, but my DH has made it clear that I am fine the way I am....then again he thought I was fine the way I was 75 pounds ago.

So, I have decided to push it and really set my mind to it. I will do it. Join me.

Christine

Edited by nycm00

How do you use your Wii Fit? We bought one recently and I am trying to find a system that will give me the best result. I have discovered that just like the treadmill I cannot use it if the kids are around....so that limits it to after bedtime, since I'm on the treadmill in the AM before they wake.

Do you have a system or do you just play around with it?

Christine

I do 30 minutes of the aerobics.....either the stupid hula hoop, the jogging thing or the step program (which is my favorite)....

Then I make a point to do three or four yoga positions and three or four strength programs....

Usually about 45 minutes, then, if it's a day off...I play around with the other balance games......

I'm coming out of hiding to ask for advice - I read this thread but never post.

I am debating on another adjustment. It's been 2 months since my last one. We thought I was at 9cc in a 10cc band, so we were really reluctant to do another adjustment. I pleaded for a "tweak" and when she withdrew the saline there was only 6cc.

About 6 months or so my doc had trouble with a fill (took about 45 min) and that was a 3cc fill... we are wondering if he just hit the side of the port b/c it's 3cc that went "missing".

Anyway we did .5cc to be safe, so we think I have 6.5cc.

I feel like my restriction is okay now but wonder if it couldn't be just a little better... I know that everyone's magic number is different but could you share with me the signs of perfect restriction? Anyone been too tight? What were those signs?

I don't want to push things but I do want to get the most out of my band especially as my bandiversary goals are creeping up on me.

Thanks for letting me post, I know you guys are a close group but I really want feedback from those right where I am in the same journey.

Go for the fill if you feel you need it. My surgeon uses these guidelines....

Are you hungry in the morning.

Do you feel hungry less than 4 hours after eating?

Are you losing 1-2 pounds a week?

It is possible that if the doc could only remove 6 cc, that's all there was. I have 4 cc in my band right now. I had 6.5cc at one time. I had to have an unfill because of some issues I've been having.

When I was too tight I had horrible reflux and could not keep anything other than liquids down. I have heard that with the 10cc band the sweet spot for most people is between 6 and 7 cc.

Best of luck to you and please post anytime. We all could use the support and we learn from one another all the time.

Christine

Jamie, glad to hear that they verified what fill level you are at. Yes, I do think some docs doing fills aren't verifying what amount is in there before they fill but my doc withdraws what amount is in there to recheck the level and then adds that back in with the .25 cc or whatever adjustment he feels is needed based on my discussion of my eating capability.

My restriction level now which is good for me allows me to eat about 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup of good solid Protein, or a fruit or something nutritious before I'm full. I can eat Soup or mushie type foods in greater quantity but I try to make sure I am eating whole foods as much as I can. Today I was able to eat 4 oz of steak in very tiny bites and about 3/4 cup of smashed sweet potato over more than an hour's time of eating and chewing very slowly. I took the other half of the potato and the steak home.

I have had to learn to stop eating about 3 bites before I really think I'm full because if I eat until I feel full I am really over full.

Surprisingly I tried to eat about 1/4 cup of raisins last night and I got way over full because it didn't occur to me they'd reinflate inside my stomach and plump back up to their grape size!

Edited by SpecialK