Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am feeling so discouraged

I was banded two months ago... off to a great start - lost 22 pounds. I had my first fill 6 weeks post op. It did nothing. Well, actually, it did give me enough restriction that things get stuck if I am not careful but I don't experience the "full" feeling until I eat quite a bit (certainly more than half of what I ate prior to surgery but not quite as bad).

I haven't lost anything in a month. I haven't gained either which is the only noticable difference (before,when I dieted, I would have gained all this back by now plus some). I am working out 3 times a week and enjoy it - hard to fit in more when I am a stay at home mom and Curves doesn't have extended hours, etc.

I go for my next adjustment in one week - I can't wait, yet part of me is worried that it won't do the trick either. I don't "just" want that stuck feeling, I want to feel full so I don't eat.

Currently I am eating three meals and two Snacks - making much better choices than prior to surgery (night and day difference) with some chocolate lapses.

I guess I just need to put this out there - don't feel like I can talk to my husband about it only because he can't relate - he would try so hard but we'd both feel like it was a burden. He is very supportive and would not discourage me... but still.

Please tell me this is normal???? It will change after the second fill???

I have a gift certificate for new clothes that I got for Christmas that I am saving for some nice stuff once I lose a chunk of weight, not "just" 20 pounds or so. I was planning on going out to get new ones when I lose 50 - that seems so incredibly far away.

Thanks for listening...

Once u get a fill and you are only able to eat a little and then feel full, you will start losing the weight. I have had a total of 12 fills and unfills throughout my journey, so you will get there. Right now I need another fill, but I don't want to take time off work right now to get one. But, with the band adjusted properly, you will get the full feeling, in your chest, though and not in your lower stomach!

Good Luck to you and don't be discouarged.

HI Emmy,

I too am need that full feeling. I am a stay at home mom as well. I had my band put in on 2/16/05 and will have my first fill in about 3 weeks. At first, I hated feeling full after 2oz of something because I wanted to eat. Now I don't feel that fullness anymore and find my self eating out of boredom. I hope this next fill works for you. If not, It may be slippage. Your doctor I'm sure will be able to figure it out. In the mean time, hang in there.

The same thing totally happened to me. I didn't have restriciton until my second fill. But now it works pretty good. So good I got really sick last night since I was trying to eat after it was telling me I was full. I am totally on the same track as you with the Christmas Gift card! I have a $50 one for Old Navy that I am waiting to use when I get 50 pounds off. For now I am just wearing big baggy clothes. They aren't falling off yet, just not fitting snuggly any longer. You will have so much more restriction on the second fill and then you will want more. I just went for a 3rd fill and got a 0.1 fill! I was upset because I waited an hour to get my fill after my appointment time and paid the $50 and still only got 0.1. What's crazy is it is actually a little bit better. But I want more. I will wait until I get used to this one before I go for another! Good luck in your weightloss and congrats on all of the hard work you are doing!!Kim

One thing that many of us bandsters forget is that we will never experience that " Thanksgiving" unbottun my pants " full feeling in your stomach again.You will ge the tightness in your chest and an occasional hiccup. This is where some head works come in for me. Waiting for that full feeling in my stomach never happens. I just convince myself, Ok I have eaten a 1/2 of chicken breast with a small salad I'm not full but Iam satisfied. I will not die of starvation. I have gotten nutrition. I only give myself 20 minutes to eat, no matter what. After that I push it away regardless. Strange enough I have less restriction with my 3rd fill then I had with my first or second, but I'm making this fill work, I'm doing alot of head work. The band is my tool to help my head. I can not rely on my band to do it all that is not what it was designed to do. It is a struggle and I wish you all the best. Do not get discouraged, think of how you were pre band ..this is a victory is it not? :)

Hi Emmy,

I have definitely heard it said by doctors that the first fill can be considered sort of a "base" fill. It isn't until the second fill or more that the real restriction is reached, in most cases. I'm sure there's nothing wrong with your band, and there sure as heck isn't anything wrong with you!

Multiple adjustments are not uncommon. I've had 6 now in 18 months, and many people have more. Look at them as fine-tuning your instrument. I know it's possible to think of them as an inconvenience but they're absolutely necessary for the band to work to its fullest potential.

Be patient and don't give up!! It is a learned skill to eat slowly enough and carefully enough to get full without getting stuck, but learn it you will. And you'll be amazed! :)

Emmy, I am going to get my 5th fill on Friday. I have been banded for only 4 months!!! I feel I am finally close to that sweet spot and have very high hopes that this fill will put me there. Yes, the band is a tool, but without a proper fill, that tool is still in the toolbox, LOL!!!

Emmy, are you keeping track of what types and how much foods you're eating? Exercising regularly? Drinking your daily Water (but not w/meals)? If you're doing all of those and still not losing, perhaps you do need another fill.

I think you should go buy yourself something new and in your smaller size right now...maybe nothing fancy. But something to Celebrate your current weight loss. 22 pounds is wonderful!

Emmy,

I'm having the exact same problem. I was banded 12/14/04 and have lost only 24lbs and have been stuck there for weeks. I have had three fills, and its still not working well yet.

Staci

Orlando, FL

banded in Mexico 12/14/04

I'm in the same boat. I got banded on Jan.24 and lost 25 pounds real quick. I went last Friday for a fill, but my doctor wouldn't do one yet. They said I have lost 7 pounds in one month, and that is average. They told me to eat solid and heavy foods, so I would eat less and the food would sit on top of the band and keep my full longer. I am very disappointed right now. I don't feel like I have lost anything in weeks. Everyone says this is normal, but it sucks. Good luck! Just know, your not alone in the struggle!

Yes, the band is a tool, but without a proper fill, that tool is still in the toolbox, LOL!!!

I agree with Blossom's statement. My weight loss has pretty much stopped since December! I feel I need another fill and I've had 5 since my surgery in October. I'm at 2.00. I've got to get in for another one.

Thanks La Madam for letting us relatively new bandsters know that the fullness is more in your chest. I get that tight feeling sometimes at the beginning of a meal. So I stop eating for a few minutes, but then it will go away. I was able to eat a whole cheeseburger Happy Meal the other day. (I know I shouldn't have, but I'd been out all day and was starving.) But that's just what frustrates me! I think if I was properly tightened I wouldn't be able to do that.

Emmy don't panic too much I didn't really have any proper restriction until my third fill when I had 8mls in a 9ml band. At one point I stayed the same for 12 weeks and was very frustrated about it but then I had another fill and its started to come off again. The time inbetween fills I did my best to follow weight watchers and count points I know keeping a food diary is a pain but it really helps.

Good luck

Helenxx.

Guest MissyMar

Emmy27,

I'm not a real "poster" but felt compelled when I read "I'm so discourgaed". I was banded on Jan. 14; first fill on March 5 and I've lost a whoppin' 3.5 lbs - yeah 3.5! I know I don't always follow the rules but I expected more than this. Talk about discouraged; definately having 2nd thoughts about this procedure but everyone else speaks for positively about their experience. Trying now to muster up the commitment to do what I'm suppose to do but it's soooo hard....

Marla

Dr. Ortiz

Me too!! I was banded on Jan 3 of 05, lost 20+ lbs, was filled on 2-18 and haven't lost anything else or gained any. Spoke with my doctor who said I should come in to see him and discuss why I'm not losing (uhh-humm). He says he feels that my band is tight enough. Oh well, we shall see when I see him on Tuesday. I really think I don't have enough restriction - bottom line.