Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you gain w/ band & baby?

I got pregnant with my first child a year or so after my surgery. I was down about 50 pounds. I got unfilled because I was sick sick sick. I gained 30 pounds. I got an adjustment 2 months after she was born and continued to lose. I got pregnant with my second child about a year later. Again I unfilled because I was heaving every day and worried about misplacing the band. I gained 20 pounds and have already lost it (I am unbanded, the baby is 3 months old). I plan on having an adjustment next month. My doctor told me that nursing shouldn't be a problem banded.

I'm due in 4 weeks and have so far gained 30 lbs. I have also been completely unfilled for about 1/2 of my pregnancy. I'm looking forward to having my baby and getting my fill back. My Doctor said I could come in about 1 month after the baby is born to get some fill put back in.

I am 12 weeks pregnant, due 02/03/2009. I had surgey on 06/04/2007 and lost over 100 lbs. I have now gained back 25 already! They say you can't lose during pregnancy, but I can't be as large as a house again and my band is completely unfilled. What can I do? (PS. My gastric doctor's dietician doesn't return phone calls to post-op patients either, apparently!)

I am glad you posted this because I was starting to get upset/ "jealous" reading that most people lost or only gained a small amount during pregnancy. I am 10 weeks and have gained 15 pounds!! I am out of control. I am starving, and my band is empty because I was so sick at first I was throwing up. Now I am not sick, but eating everything! It scares me to death to think I might gain all the weight back. I guess I need to get a slight fill....???? Can you even do that if your pregnant?

I am glad you posted this because I was starting to get upset/ "jealous" reading that most people lost or only gained a small amount during pregnancy. I am 10 weeks and have gained 15 pounds!! I am out of control. I am starving, and my band is empty because I was so sick at first I was throwing up. Now I am not sick, but eating everything! It scares me to death to think I might gain all the weight back. I guess I need to get a slight fill....???? Can you even do that if your pregnant?

Sidenote: ugh, this website just ate my thoughtful response. Let's see if I can recreate :

Yes, I believe you can get a fill if you are pregnant. In fact, you can just leave it filled if you aren't having issues. My doctor said there was no need to unfill for pregnancy or breastfeeding unless I wanted to unfill for some other reason. I had mine unfilled for each pregnancy because I was sick and didn't want to deal with it. Yes you will eat more than you were so you may gain weight. Just be reasonable and try to eat veggies and drink your Water, like you should be for the baby anyway. Maybe try the gestational diabetes diet if you are gaining too much. You can lose it after the baby comes, try not to stress it.

sorry you're so hungry.. :tt2:

you CAN get a fill while pregnant (clear it with your band doc and OB first, of course)... obviously,, do not get it under x-ray though.

i was unfilled almost 1/2 way due to my morning sickness, then filled a bit back up and i just went in for a slight unfill cause i was too tight.

no need to suffer. you can still use this tool during pregnancy!

good luck..

I just found out I am 4 weeks pregnant with my second child. The first child I was not banded and gain 22 lbs. I am kinda nervous to see how this one will turn out like. I do not want to gain a lot of weight with this one. Any advice on the prenatal Vitamins that are easy to take while banded?

Well, I'm not very far along yet......8 weeks and 1 day.......but i've not gained any yet. But wow, i am totally eating more than normal......

I was 198 when I got pregnant with my daughter and gained 22 lbs. I have lost all of the weight and then some as I am also breast feeding.

Good luck:)

I am not far along now at only a little over 7 weeks. However, I know that I am continuing to lose and am currently down about 10 pounds since conception.

I know it will start heading the opposite direction eventually. I am not trying to diet right now, only trying to eat healthy. I guess we will see. If I gain anywhere between 10-25 pounds I will be pleased with myself.

I just found out I was pregnant a few days ago. I am so excited!!! I had my first child, a boy 4 1/2 years ago and it had taken me about 8 years to get pregnant. That was before the lap-band. I have had the band a little over a year now and have lost 108 pounds so this time, I was only off of my birth control for 2 months and it has happened already! I am so thankful. I am now worried about how much weight I am going to gain though. I am hoping to only gain 10-20 throught the pregnancy and then hopefully lose most of it quickly. With my pre band pregnancy I gained 55 pounds and that was in the last 4 months. I didn't even know I was pregnant until I was 5 1/2 months since my periods were irregular and I had pretty much given up on ever having a baby, now I am starting on my 2nd!

Rebecca

278/170/150

Banded July 10, 2007

I'm still being a cow, still gaining way too much weight, still hate myself for it.. :thumbup:

I gained about 40 total. I had hoped to gain no more than 20. But it's coming off quickly. I'm already down 25.

Hi Everyone,

I really need to connect with others who are having or have had a baby. I had my baby July 24, 08 after getting banded March 07. I was down to 220 which was about 50lbs down when I found out I was pregnant. I am now at 247 and just got a 3cc fill last week. I am supposed to be doing a diet journal but its getting hard to get back on track..

I was totally unfilled when I was pregnant.. my choice I have way to many other complications when pregnant than to have to worry about the band.

Anyone else just had a baby and getting ready to get fills again?

Thanks,

Brandi

See Pics at: www.myspace.com/cuddlenymph :blink:

I'm now 14 weeks along, and I've gained 7 pounds so far. It's not the total amount that worries me, but rather the fact that I've gained those 7 pounds in the last three weeks. I suppose I don't REALLY need to eat cherry pie for dinner, huh.

I have to admit that I have no earthly idea how much weight I should gain this pregnancy. According to the baby books, I should be gaining about 1/2-1 lb. per week. But the pregnancy weight doesn't go on in a linear fashion, so it's tough to know whether I'm going through a growth spurt that will eventually even out, or whether I'm actually going to gain 2.5 lbs/week for the rest of the pregnancy. And so I just try to make good food decisions and hope that I don't get too obsessed with it.