Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How much did you gain w/ band & baby?

I got a half unfill after finding out about our surprise family addition. I had lost 91lbs in the 8 moths prior with 75lbs still to go. I'm sitting at a weight gain of about 15lbs right now and i'm 31wks tomorrow.

I'm currently 7.5 months pregnant. I have gained 5 lbs. My belly is huge, but the rest of me is getting smaller. And the baby is fine, she's actually measuring 2 weeks too big! If you're interested, I'll update on you on how much I gain overall.

How is the pregnancy going? What is different with having the band and not? I am in a mad dash to lose 30 lbs (AT LEAST) by Sep, so we can have another one. If I can't do it by this Sep, I will have to wait another year!

I have a 13 month old. I was so concerned about the band and my pregnancy, however the Dr. assured me it was fine. I did the whole up and down with my weight. Actually lost around 8 lbs the first few months. With my first two children I gained around 60-80 lbs. Both of them being 9 lbs each but with my band baby I gained only 20 lbs total, and 8 lbs 1oz was a beautiful baby girl. I did not have to get an unfill, however I have only ever had 2 fills total since my surgery in 2005. Good Luck!:)

I must be a rare pig around here. With a lap band and about 2.8cc in a 4 cc band , I gained about 55 pounds!!!! I ate everything from ice cream , to fried chicken , nachos .. I had a ball.

Now ... I still have 37 pounds until I'm back down to my smallest Lap Band weight :rolleyes2:

I'm still working on it , got a fill , training myself again on eating and losing weight .

I will NEVER ABUSE MY BAND DURING PREGNANCY AGAIN!!!

IT WAS NOT WORTH IT ... AT ALL !!!

During my first trimester I lost weight. I really don't remember now how much - maybe I posted it on another thread. I would guess 15 - 20 lbs. No morning sickness, I just didn't have any appetite. Well, let me rephrase that. I haven't had any appetite to speak of since 3 days post-op (nearly 2.5 years ago), but I really just didn't want to eat - even more so.

Since the end of my first trimester I have gone up about 6 lbs. Part, if not all of that is Fluid - I've started getting cankles if I sit for longer than about 2 hours. But regardless, I'm still at least 10 pounds less than when I conceived. This is such a big head game.

I am trying to remain very aware of my weight gain and monitor it closely. About 3 weeks ago I had an unfill because literally overnight I went from fine to too tight, after over a year of being fine. I suspect the pregnancy played the starring role in that. This has really impacted what I can eat, so I have to be extra diligent and ensure that I'm balancing "can" with "should" and "need to."

People ask me, "Are you showing yet?" and all I can do is tell them, "I don't know." "Are you gaining weight yet?" "A little..." I've lost in the neighborhood of 180 lbs, and still need to lose about 40. There's more flabby skin and droopy pannus on me than most people will ever even think possible. But lately I feel like my stomach is larger. My profile doesn't seem as "almost flat" as it used to. And I know my uterus is larger, because I can clearly feel it.

I am 31 weeks pregnant and have gained about 17 pounds. I can feel it coming on a little more each week now but I would say "most" of it is in my belly. I did not have an "unfill" and have been able to eat a little more at each meal by drinking Water with my food. I know you aren't supposed to do that but it made me able to eat more calories per day.

I am hoping to only gain 25lbs total and I only have about 8 weeks to go. Considering I gained 54 with my son 10 years ago (and to think I'm starting all over!!!) I will be glad to gain 25 instead of 54. Hopefully it will come off quickly following delivery.

Did anyone breastfeed? They say you are supposed to have even MORE calories to do so and I don't know how that is possible with the band!!:lol:

I am 26 weeks pregnant and still have a loss of a pound since my "yes you are pregnant", doctors appointment. I feel so horrible being pregnant, I was three months out of surgery and had just gotten my very first fill three days before the big discovery. Does anyone else feel horrible about it? I am happy that my husband and I are expecting again, just wasn't ready to have a baby so soon after the surgery. I am also afraid of stretching out my band, there are days I feel that I can eat everything. I still get stuck, and full. But, I can eat bread, tortillas and all the stuff I am not supposed to be able to. I am bad about drinking with my meals too. Anyone hear about stretching out the band during pregnancy? I am sitting here in tears looking at how well everyone else is doing, from the same time I was banded, thinking - that could have been me too. Anyone else have the blues?:w00t:

Edited by poohlvr
typos

Don't feel bad! I had my first (and only fill) at the end of August and was pregnant by November. I had 3 months and you would have been at the same place too... Just keep in mind that after the baby arrives, you can go right back to your fill and smaller portions. If you need a fill, get one! :w00t: I wasn't ready either but am happy that I can move forward after the baby is born and continue what I'd started! It is only a short delay.

I have not heard of the band stretching but would too be interested if anyone is aware of that... I wasn't able to eat bread (at all) before I was pregnant and now can. Is that because the band stretched? I don't think the band itself can stretch but maybe some of the liquid went out? The band seemed REALLY strong and was a hard plastic.

Anyone?

The band itself won't stretch, but you can dilate your pouch/esophagus by stuffing.

I got a small unfill right after I got pregnant. It was necessary -- I was so so tight. BUT, I am still able to eat bread, Pasta, etc. And yes, I feel like crap about it. I'm trying to cut back on that kind of stuff and go back to more of the bandster rules, but those preggo cravings kick in something fierce!

Hi all I am so glad that I found this thread. I am 5 months pregnant and have not gained a pound. I actually go upa nd down two pounds depending on how much Water I drink, retain and swell.

I had my surgery last July and was doing great. Then in Decemeber I had to have emergency knee surgery so I had to do a complete unfill because if they have to put a chest tube in they can't with the band. Well after that they don't just fill you right up it is gradual like in the begining. So after finally 8 weeks of fills to be at my perfect restricion I found out that I was pregnant. It was a total shock as we were not trying, but a very pleaseant surprise. I did fine for the first couple weeks but then the morning sickness really took over and between that and the tightness of my band I was keeping absolutley nothing down. Even Water came back up at times so they had me get a complete unfill untill seeing both my lapband dr and obgyn. So my lapband doctor will only let me get a fill of half of my restriction which was 6.8 in a 10 cc band so I am allowed 3.4. I got my first fill and have no restriction and I go for my second fill next week, but that is all they will allow me to get. If I have any problems I am supposed to get it unfilled and then one month before I am due they say I have to get it completely drained in case for any reason I have to be put under or need a chest tube. Then I will have to start all over again. This is our first pregnancy so I am doing everything I am told. I am a little freaked out by everything, but trying to stay calm.

Has anyone else expereinced little pains around their port site since becoming pregnant? Nothing major just twinges every now and then? My guess is it is just because everything is moving and just adjusting in there cusing pressure the port. What do you think?

Hi Everyone,

I am also glad I have found this thread. I am almost 30wks pregnant. I got banded in March of 07 and to my utter SURPRISE found out I was pregnant in Dec. 07. I had just hit the 50 lb loss mark when we learned the my IUD had failed and I was pregnant. Due to issues and potential bedrest I had a complete unfill which was ok because a person can only deal with so much at one time. I have two sons age 9 and 2 and this one is a lil girl. We have totally adjusted to the idea of having another one but I will be getting my tubes tied 4 wks after she is born. I have slacked totally on my eating and figured I need to start with some of the habits now before she is born. For ex.. no drinking with meals, having some Protein shakes etc. Anyone else doing this? And yes I do feel my port at times and it gets uncomfortable. I am glad to say that it is not sticking out like I feared it would. I hope to keep in touch with everyone else.. its nice knowing I am not the only one.

Brandi

Hey, I only gained 20 lbs total. My lil girl weighed 8lbs of that. When I went back to my 2 weeks post check up I had lost it all. I was really scared at first, but everything worked out fine. I really have more trouble eating now after the baby, for some reason my pouch seems to have shrunk I havent had a fill in 2 years. God Bless and Good Luck!

Update from a previous post:

Since the end of my first trimester I have gone up about 6 lbs. Part, if not all of that is Fluid - I've started getting cankles if I sit for longer than about 2 hours. But regardless, I'm still at least 10 pounds less than when I conceived. This is such a big head game.

I got really swollen, they actually brought me in for a problem OB expecting pre-eclampsia because of how swollen I was, and that I was going up about a pound a day. But my BP and everything else was fine so I was sent home with advice to wear support hose from the moment I get out of the shower until I go to bed (no thanks).

I've now lost the Fluid (and the weight, I'm back to being about 15 pounds below my conception weight, so no weight gain yet - I'm just bouncing back and forth between the same 4 pounds), and have found that I only swell when I'm sitting. I haven't done that since I lost the weight to begin with. Bad flashback. If I can remember to get up and walk every hour or so, I do fine. I've also cut way back on my sodium, just to be careful.

Another update here...

I'm 26 weeks along, and I've officially gained 14 lbs. Not bad.

Hello ladies, I am 19 weeks pregnant with 7.5ml in a 10ml band. I had lost 5 stones exactly (70lbs) the day I found out that I was pregnant and very happy with my weight loss.

However, I have been very sick with hyperemesis (excessive morning sickness) since week 5 and I have not eaten very much at all over this period except for fruit smoothies, lucozade and popcorn. I have gained 7lbs but this has all gone to my boobs and belly and is definatlely pregnancy related and not due to eating!!!

I am really glad that I found this thread as there are very few of us banded in Ireland (less than 1,000) and no one who is pregnant at the moment! I do feel that I have forgotten how to eat as I have been unable to now for the last 3 months but I am hopeful that from today I will start introducing more balance in to my diet by adding veg. Soups, yougurt etc.

I am seriuosly suffering the constant nausea all day long and retch at the smell of everything and everyone!!! I do not intend to get a defill at this time as I do not see it as necessary as the thought of food just makes me want to be sick and my obstritician doesn't feel that it is necessary. Added to that is the complication that the company who I went with for the banding has gone out of business!!

Looking forward to hearing how you are all getting on with the eating over the next few months.