Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New York Area Fills

I am using Dory Ferara at the Long Island Bariatric Center. She's a Nurse Practitioner and was a coordinator for Lap Band trials. She works with several NY area MD's as well as Dr. Gabriel & other Mexican Docs. She has offices on LI, Westchester & NYC & sees people from all over the northeast.

She charges either a flat fee for a year's care (about $1,250) that includes as many fills as you need) She performs fills either under floroscopy ($100 for radiology center's fee) or without. After having my first fill in TJ under floroscopy she had to unfill me a little then add some. She did it w/o the flor. & was totally fine. She also sees patients on a per diem basis, first time she charges a little more (maybe $350) & meets you at the radiology center for floroscopy. Then you can choose with or without for the next fills (I THINK $250 - $257) per, but don't quote me, cause I'm using the flat fee method)

Anyway, her # is 516-579-0094. The sec'y there can give you her NYC or Westchester #'s. Sorry this is so long, but I really like her a lot. Hope this helps someone.

Is flouroscopy the same as the barium swallow? She asked me to get xrays of the port while I was being banded which I did (only $40 so it was much cheaper than getting them done here). I am afraid of a blind fill because I don't want my port to get stuck or for her to miss and I have to do it again...

Gypi;

Yo

U Have Lost So Much Weight Already Is My Math Correct 31 Pounds Since Band Date Of 3-31 I Am So Proud Of You ~!! I Start My Journey Next Wed It Is My 1st Appointment. Sandie

hahahaha...no try like 8 pounds to date...I have to make adjustments to my weightloss if it says that. It think the others are goal weights..sorry about that...but I swear if I'd lost thatmuch by now I would just disrobe and do the nekkid happy dance!!!

After my 1st fill back in TJ, I have had my fills w/Dory without flouro & she never misses. She has tons of experience. She (& most fill people in the U.S.) has a more conservative approach to fills than the MX dr's...it just takes longer to get to your sweet spot.

In my case I became overfilled & she sent me for a barium swollow (flouro, it's the same, but they just took the picture & printed it...she knew she had to take out quite a bit cause of swelling). I've gone back 2 weeks in a row for small fills, and Thank God, it seems to be o.k. She also will do your fill under fluoro if you ask, you just meet her @ the imaging center & she'll do it there. You pay her the same amount & pay the lab $110. It's funny, when I was swollen, the imaging center asked my symptoms & I said relflux & difficulty swollowing, which were true, so my insurance paid! Ha Ha, they wouldn't pay for my banding, but they paid for that.

:thumbs_up:Dear Karen:

Thanks so much for all the great info on your fill doc! This has really given me hope as I've been banging my head against a wall trying to get my insurance company (Cigna) to cover, but I am starting to think outside the box thanks to you.

I've heard great things about your surgery doc in Mexico as well. I'm thinking of trying to find a lap band doc within the states. Anywhere outside of NY as here it's close to 28,000 dollars out of pocket.

Thanks again!

M

Karen I noticed that you switched to RNY recently do you care to share why? Great job either way on getting to goal weight

I don't know when you posted this, but Dory does not have an NYC office anymore, not since November 2007. I know because I was left high and dry with no notice. Her office cancelled my last appointment on the day of the appointment and unceremoniously stated that she wouldn't be in NYC anymore. If you want to see her, you'll have to go to Lawrence Hospital in Bronxville or out to Long Island. Without a car (and most of us in NYC do not have cars), the trip will take one to two hours by subway and then MetroNorth or LIRR. Dory is very good at what she does, but after firmly committing herself to her NYC patients, she left with no more than "sorry, I'll work with you at Lawrence Hospt." My travel there and back is four hours. So in addition to $175 for the fill, I's out a half a day's pay to get there. I'm still looking for a fill doctor in NYC.

I do belong to a group of post-bariatric patients. We meet once a month in Manhattan and are looking for a few more members. It's free. It's been very helpful for me to have this support. I'm the only post-lap. The others are by-pass, but we have many issues in common. If anyone is interested, you can reach me through this site. Thanks.

Noticed discussion of fills and Flouro or barium swallow. I know a little so don't take this as being an expert. My doc flouros me after he fills just to check how contrast he has me swallow flows through the band area in stomach - has nothing to do with locating the port - that's all feel.

As far as flouro to barium swallow here's what I know.

Barium swallow study usually includes flouro. but they also take more x-rays and they are more detailed.

A quick flouro like my doc above is done without taking films or digital pictures and is just a quick check.

The contrast they use can be barium, ionic iodinated like hypaque, gastroview or gastrografin, or non-ionic where the only product approved is Omnipaque.

My doctor uses the ionic category. I've been trying to get him to use Omnipaque the non-ionic as it doesn't taste as bad and won't be as toxic to your GI track. Now keep in mind I sell Omnipaque so I must have some bias. But I have customers who will not give barium or the ionics if there is any risk of a perforation of the GI track as these older agents can cause problems. I've heard the ionics can give some irritation/diarrhea.

Omnipaque is more expensive but much less than it was 10 ears ago when it was way too expensive to use for these studies.

Bottom line is "barium swallow" is almost a generic term - they can use any of the 3 categories of contrast above. And flouro is part of it. X-rays or flouro won't show much without use of one of the contrast agents above.

Hope that helps.

I have had the lapband since 11/07 and am very interested in a support group. I don;t know how to make this a private email so don't want to give out my phone # or anything.

Caryn

Hi Ilene 62,

Don't know if my previous post went through. I'm very interested in a support grp in NYC. How can I get more information? Been banded since 11/07

Caryn

I got your message. There's suppose to be a way to leave a private message. I have no idea how to do that, but I'm going to try. Anyone out there can help me with this? When I figure out how to leave a private message, I'll give you the info. Thanks for the response.

To cmeyer11: I figured out how to send a private message to you with the info about the support group. Now you have to figure out how to access it. Good luck. Hope I hear from you.

cmeyer11: If you want to send a private message to me or read the private message I sent to you about an NYC support group, click on your user name. You'll get a drop down menu. One of the choices is "send a private message." This should also get you to a way to read any private message. Hope to hear from you. Ilene62