Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Question about pain at port incision

Hi all-

Got banded on 2/5/08. Starting to feel almost normal again with just a bit of tenderness around the middle yet. Well today was my first real day of some housework and now I'm paying for it. Have some stinging pain around the port if I bend. I called the clinic but haven't heard back from a nurse. Nothing super major mind you but pretty stinkin' annoying when I thought I was healing so well.

Has anyone else overdone it like this? Just taking it easy seem to rectify the problem? Did I tear any stitches or just aggravate it? My guess is aggravate 'cause I wasn't doing anything aerobic!

Thanks all.....

Windy:cursing:

I've heard this concern a lot. From shoveling snow to just turning too fast seems to cause it. Since the port is sewn into muscle, it's definitely going to take longer to heal. I'm 3 months post-op and still occasionally feel like I have a stitch in my side (haha...pun not intended) where the port is. There's no way to know if you've torn a stitch until you go in for a fill and they are able (or not) to insert the needle into your port. Just take it easy.

Hi,

I was banded on Jan 16th and I had that horrible stinging pain around my port area as well. Anytime I was on my feet more than a few minutes, and leaned forward the pain would be awful. It took nearly four weeks for it to go away completely. I have talked to others who have had the same pain, so you are not alone. Hang in there and remember to rest whenever you can. It will get better.

I have a large bump too... I was banded 2/11. I'm concerned something happened, because it's so big. I can't even lie on that side, not because of the pain, but because of the lumpiness. Anyone else had a large lump? It sticks out when I lie on my back.

I was banded on 2/8 and I too have pain around my portal area. My belly sticks out about an inch or so further on that side. It is uncomfortable to bend over and lifting anything a bit heavy aggrivates. I have been walking and swimming since day 10 and that doesn't bother at all, but tried to exercise on my elliptical last night and that didn't feel so good...... I am glad to hear I am not the only one...

Dont think you should worry. I had my 1st surgery on 1/18/08, then 2nd surgery on 1/23/08 and till this day from time to time when i bend the port area bothers me as well. I can't say it's painful, but it is bothersome.

Hope you feel better! :thumbdown:

Maribel

my port site is a bear trying to get used to. It doesn't hurt as much as it is uncomfortable. One of my incision sites is tender though, and it feels like a small knot is under it. Maybe scar tissue or something. I'm hoping it's not a hernia.

I was banded 6/2/05. I had the same symptoms initially post op for at least 6 mos, they do go away. I now have a good size bump (the port), under my left lower ribs, that sticks out because of the wgt loss. Dr says that he can reposistion, but I don't wear biniki's (don't plan to either), so why go thru the discomfort and surgery to replace it. I've learned to live with it.

To this day, the port site will still get tender if I over do abdominal exercises.

I have pair of pants that I wear that hits me right at the port site, they are irritating, even now almost 3 yrs post op. I find when I wear them, that I'm constantly repositioning the pants or pushing on the port to get it out of the way of the pants band. I now know when I buy new pants to try them on first and see whether they have a high waist.

My port is bothersome as well. I guess well have to deal with it. I havent lost much weight yet, so I am not sure how it will turn out to look. Hopefully it wont be that visible.

Mine feels the same way, it is just the port down there. In the bigger incision. Mine feel tender as well and still bother me.

mine stings to and i was actually gettin on to ask wat u all answered 3 days out n it stings good to know that im not alone most of u are months out.. so its not un common good good..

I'm having pain in the portal area. Started getting bad when I had to push hard for a B.M. And it happened after offices are closed on a Friday. Now I have to wait until Monday to call the doc's office. Wish me luck.

Sandie, I hope it turns out to be nothing. I was having a LOT of port pain and tubing, it turns out. The lapband surgeon told me to go to Costa Rica and get a Tummy Tuck and when they pulled the skin back they could fix the tubing and the port. Well, I did and so far, so good. Only problem is that the tummy tuck is nice and tight (GOOD!) but it makes my port stick out even more..kind of like an alien. :thumbup:

Oh well, I think (hope) it will be worth it. Won't really know until I heal well enough to start back to the gym. I think everything was kind of stuck in the fat before and then it had no fat and was just kind of wandering around (the tubing). At least that's the way he explained it. My surgeon said that the port is attached to the abdominal wall with just a couple little sutures. I hope you didn't rip yours!! Denise

I'm having pain in the portal area. Started getting bad when I had to push hard for a B.M. And it happened after offices are closed on a Friday. Now I have to wait until Monday to call the doc's office. Wish me luck.

I hope I didn't rip anything either. However, in a matter of 17 hours, I will have called the doc's office to ask what she thinks might be the problem. However, when I put an ice pack on it for 20 minutes, it feels better. hmmm, interesting.:thumbup: