Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Bye, Bye Band..Hello Bypass

Guest zsflower

Guest zsflower

It feels very weird for me to say it out loud, but my band is gone..finally! I feel very ambivalent about the whole thing. I’m very happy to not be in pain and having problems anymore, but I felt very much “attached” to my band and felt it was very much a part of me for the last 6 years. I identified myself as a “bandster” and wanted very much for this to work for me. I actually asked my surgeon for my band back so I could keep it, lol!

I was very recently converted from a band to a bypass. The surgery was VERY difficult and took almost 4 hours. Most of which time was spent trying to remove my band. It was placed WAAAAY too high on my esophagus and I had no pouch at all. I am still recovering and I expect it will take me a while longer to feel back to my old self again.

I have decided that I shouldn’t define myself as a “bandster”, “bypasser” or whatever cute name we think of to call ourselves. My main goal is the same as it always was and I’m sure it’s the same as most of you. To be healthy and live a quality life, free of morbid obesity.

Let my situation be a lesson to everyone that wants to keep their band at all cost. The last thing I want to do is to put fear into anyone. However, I want you to be aware of possible issues and symptoms and to know when it’s time to let your band go. Mainly, if you have pain, something is wrong. Vomiting, loss of restriction, poor weight loss, etc. Even after following instructions given to me by my surgeon, I still had problems.

If your surgeon (or anyone else) tries to blame you, then SEE SOMEONE ELSE! If you follow treatment instructions and still have problems and/or pain, it’s NOT your fault and you need to be treated. Contrary to popular belief, more and more is known about complications and their causes. Most of which are NOT the patient’s fault. Your first priority should be your health and not keeping your band! Don’t forget that! I have forgotten that at times during my own journey.

I thought of my band as the end and the “cure”. It was neither for me. I had other options. I just wasn’t ready to see them. I was even thinking about giving my band another try while in pre-op waiting for my conversion surgery! Then I came to my senses. It’s not worth risking more serious complications or even death, just to keep your band. That is NOT why any of us decided to be banded. The reason we decided to be banded was to help us lose weight and get healthy. THAT’S IT!

I consider myself a success. To me, a success is not giving up and finding a surgeon willing to help me and get to my ultimate goal of health and quality of life!

Always make sure you keep your priorities straight and if you’re having trouble, seek not only medical help, but also emotional support. Whether it is on one of these boards or somewhere else. I guarantee that someone else is going through the same thing you are going through. So decide to be the brave one and reach out.

I hope none of you ever go through what I have been through, but the fact is that some of you will. Please listen to your body and never ignore it’s voice

I wish all of you the Best of Health!

zsflower, why did you need a bypass? you have lost so much weight and you look good . are you afraid of gaining your weight back? you are an inspiration.

Guest zsflower

zsflower, why did you need a bypass? you have lost so much weight and you look good . are you afraid of gaining your weight back? you are an inspiration.

Unfortunately I had gained back about half the weight I originally lost and never reached my goal in the first place. And the thought of "going it alone" scared the heck out of me!

How difficultwas it for you to get insurance approval to have the band removed and the bypass performed? Did you have to go throough the psychological testing all over again jus6 like with the band or ws it diffferent for you. I am only asking because I am doing well with the band but I keep getting slimed as they call it and then I have to vomit that up and once I do that I fee better and the pressure is gone. I would like to have the band removed and have a bypass done. My health plan covered the band and everything even my fills are covered for the first year.

Guest zsflower

How difficultwas it for you to get insurance approval to have the band removed and the bypass performed? Did you have to go throough the psychological testing all over again jus6 like with the band or ws it diffferent for you. I am only asking because I am doing well with the band but I keep getting slimed as they call it and then I have to vomit that up and once I do that I fee better and the pressure is gone. I would like to have the band removed and have a bypass done. My health plan covered the band and everything even my fills are covered for the first year.

Sorry it's taken so long for me to respond. I haven't been on this board in a while.

If you are having symptoms with your band, you may be able to get insurance approval quickly without having to jump through a lot of hoops. If you are vomiting frequently that's not good. Ask your bariatric surgeon to submit for approval and see what happens.

Good luck! By the way, I'm down 40 lbs as of yesterday!

zsflower-----I'm just banded and found your post. Thank you SO much for sharing your advise and experience. You are making some very important statements here and I will remember them.

penny

re: placement of the band. was his discovered during the revision to by-pass. could they have seen this on x-rays?

Did the complications start right away,after you had lost some weight or when you started to re-gain.

thanks

Good luck! By the way, I'm down 40 lbs as of yesterday!

Congratulations!! I'm glad it's working for you, and sorry the band didn't work out!