Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hampton Roads/Peninsula thread

Since we've all started at about the same time with our journey I don't if anyone can relate to what I am saying. My best friend of 13yrs. as not been very supportive or interested in my "Band" journey. When I told her I was getting it done she said "why are you doning that?" and from that time on she doesn't congratulate me on my successes, shrinking dress sizes, or my continued exercising. What is a girl to do ?? I don't think she is jealous because that is an ugly word, but I thought at the very least my journey would encourage her to lose weight with me. Maybe she feels like "Im not doing it on my own" or " I am taking the easy way out" you know how people think. I askes her about it early on when I first got my band and she said "well what do you want me to say" I don't people often say after you lose weight you change I am thinking the people around you change. Just wanted to share that since it has been on my mind.

Since we've all started at about the same time with our journey I don't if anyone can relate to what I am saying. My best friend of 13yrs. as not been very supportive or interested in my "Band" journey. When I told her I was getting it done she said "why are you doning that?" and from that time on she doesn't congratulate me on my successes, shrinking dress sizes, or my continued exercising. What is a girl to do ?? I don't think she is jealous because that is an ugly word, but I thought at the very least my journey would encourage her to lose weight with me. Maybe she feels like "Im not doing it on my own" or " I am taking the easy way out" you know how people think. I askes her about it early on when I first got my band and she said "well what do you want me to say" I don't people often say after you lose weight you change I am thinking the people around you change. Just wanted to share that since it has been on my mind.
I understand where your comming from, my best friend was far from supportive. I just got tired of it and sat her down and talked to her about it. She told me she was jealous because she is over weight and she didn't think we would have anything in common anymore. Sounds crazy right but that's what she thought. I told her I was ensulted by that because fat is not what our friendship was based on. long story short I'm 73lbs lighter and she is still my best friend. So if they are a true friend they will support you and if not they are not worth your friendship in the first place.

I am new to this site. I just went to my seminar at Portsmouth Naval Hospital yesterday and I am looking for others who are getting started on there journey here in Hampton Roads. And I would really love any feed back from others that have already had the lapband.

Hello I was banded June 5th 2009 by Weightloss surgery center of Hampton Roads. I was 243lbs when I started I am not 197lbs with 3 fills so far. I am happy with me decision and glad I made this choice for myself. Be ready to be commited to eating right and exercising the band is only a tool and will only work as good as you work it.

I am new to this site. I just went to my seminar at Portsmouth Naval Hospital yesterday and I am looking for others who are getting started on there journey here in Hampton Roads. And I would really love any feed back from others that have already had the LAP-BAND®.

Hi, I was banded in CO and moved here this fall. I need to find a doctor who will continue to support me. I am currently living in Williamsburg so I understand that I will probably need to travel down the pennisula for a doctore. I have blue cross blue shield for now for insurance. I have a 14cc band and currently have 6ccs in it. I need a fill soon. Any doc recommendations?

There is a site that had small bite utensils. They even come in a little pouch that you can carry with you. portioncontrolconcepts.com. They have some other neat stuff too.

I am having the lapband surgery on 06/09/10. I initially wanted the gastric but changed my mind at the last minute. Im excited and nervous. Im going thru the WLSC with Dr. Clark. Im looking for more local support buddies in the area. I am in Newport News. I have my surgery on a Wednesday, and only took off the rest of that week for work, do you think I will be able to go back to work that following Monday?

I was down for the count that day of surgery, but I was up and about the next day with a little soreness. I was good to go after that, so I would say that, with caution, you will be just fine for work on Monday. Just make sure you are not doing any heavy lifting or other strenuous activities until you get the clearance. Good Luck!!

I was down for the count that day of surgery, but I was up and about the next day with a little soreness. I was good to go after that, so I would say that, with caution, you will be just fine for work on Monday. Just make sure you are not doing any heavy lifting or other strenuous activities until you get the clearance. Good Luck!!

Thank you!

I will be happy to talk with you if you have any questions!

Does anyone have experience with Sentara Norfolk General? I am just starting the process crossing my fingers that FED BCBS will pay for it!

KMW, I took off a couple weeks, but that is because I did a lot of heavy lifting with my job. I think you will be ok if you have a sit down job. I had a lot of gas pain from them blowing up the stomach, but other than that after the first few days I was fine. Good Luck with your journey. I went to WLSC as well, and am very happy with my outcome. I'm down 95 lbs and am healthier and in better shape than I've ever been in my life. I started this journey with asthma and high cholesterol, and have neither now. :-) It's been a life changing experience for me. Be prepared to make a lifestyle change though. It does NOT happen all by itself. It has definitely been a struggle, and is a struggle every day of my life to keep this weight off. I can gain 2 lbs in a week, and it takes 3 to get them back off. It's very hard. It's def not an easy way out. You have to make the right food choices and exercise regularly. Good luck. You'll do great!

I had my surgery with Dr. Clark at Norfolk. It was great (as great as young girl had me move myself from the surgery can be). The nurses were all caring and kind. I did have a little thing in radiology. The young girl had me move my self from the gurney to the table. You know Lift up and slide over? well after have surgery less than an hour ago, that was a little difficult. So I ended up with a bruise my back because I fell on the metal bar on the edge of the table (right before the padding). But that was a young girl with a student in radiology. Everyone else was wonderful.

Hey was wondering if anyone from the Hampton Roads area is still around here on the board? I was just banded back in April by Dr. T. Looking for some friends in the area to meet up with, and also any additional support groups around here besides the monthly one through the clinic.

Hey Faith,

I am in the process of getting all my pre-op stuff done and hopefully will be banded by september by Dr. Wohlgemuth at Sentara Norfolk General.

I am here for support, god knows I could use some!!

Rachel