Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hampton Roads/Peninsula thread

WOW! That's fantastic!! I would love to lose 90-95 lbs. Dr. T. told me to expect more like 50% of what I am overweight. Being that I'm about 250, I guess that means I'm about 100-110 lbs overweight, and that means I should lose about 50-60 lbs. He says 100 lbs is not the norm for lapband. What are your thoughts on this? I'm sure he knows, he's the Doc!, Just wondering what others think. I know everyone is different. I really hope I lose closer to 70-80. I'm banking on this really helping my comorbidities like my asthma alot. If I can just lose enough to get off some of these meds, I'll be so happy. I'm just not sure if 50lbs is going to do it. I'm hopeful that it will be though. I see some of the girls on the other forums losing 100-150. Man, that would be awesome! LOL! I'm just going to do the best I can to get as healthy as possible. You've done fantastic! You should be soooo proud! One discouraging thing to me, is that there really aren't that many people in here from WLSC. Out of all the surgeries he has done. Where the heck is everyone?

Harley! I am definitely starting with "I'm going to succeed" I'm going to do everything humanly possible to make sure of that. I am looking forward to a new ME! Thanks for the inspiration!

ML, I'm sure I'll be joining you at next month's meeting! Looking forward to it.

Harley, (I'll probably be bombarding you with questions) What about Hair loss, etc... Some say they can lose their hair by losing so much weight, but I though with lap because you lose it slower you don't tend to have the hair loss. What are your thoughts on this?

Luv, you're really getting close! I have a friend who is also being banded the 11th.

I hope you had that great big, juicy, cheeseburger last night, LOL.

Good Luck!

HARLEY! Even better......I had a big fat juicy Rib Eye! A baked Potatoe with butter and sour cream. Then, my husband said we should go for my favorite dessert, a hot fudge sundae, but I resisted that. HAHAHHAHHA Today I'm eating light. Protein Shakes and broth for me. EEEEK! I'm very ready though, but still very scared!

Hi everyone! I'm glad I found this board. I am also a patient of Dr. Terracina, I was banded December 11, 2007 and have lost 71 lbs. so far. I still have a long journey ahead of me, my goal is to lose 150 lbs and this is the goal Dr. T set for me. I started at 315 lbs and can't believe how great I feel already.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind. I went to see Dr. T back in April for my third fill which was the first time I ever really felt true restriction. I was so tight, I almost went back to get unfilled but hung in there and since I wasn't having any trouble, figured it was fine. Dr. T told me in April that I should be good to go for a while and that I should decide when and if I needed my next fill. So, fast forward to August. I waited a little too long for a fill but life got in the way (work, vacation, etc.) so I was ready. When I saw him in August, he was a little upset with me and said for the first year, I should be coming ever 6 weeks regardless of needing a fill or not. I'm so confused....:huh2:Trust me, I'd go see him every week if I could. He's great and the support is much needed.

My question is, if I don't need a fill, do I make an appointment to see him at his office every 6 weeks or do I schedule the fill and let him decide once I get there if I need it or not? Did you all get the same instructions? He indicated that I had only lost 14 lbs from April to August and I should be a little farther ahead than that. I agree, I have made some mistakes and I can't believe how hard its been to get back on track after a summer of not so great choices. I'm just glad that I didn't gain at this point.

Thanks for any insight you can offer. I hope to offer some support to anyone new to Dr. T's group. He's great, and the lapband was the smartest decision I've ever made!!

Sue

Hi everyone! I'm glad I found this board. I am also a patient of Dr. Terracina, I was banded December 11, 2007 and have lost 71 lbs. so far. I still have a long journey ahead of me, my goal is to lose 150 lbs and this is the goal Dr. T set for me. I started at 315 lbs and can't believe how great I feel already.

I have a couple questions if you don't mind. I went to see Dr. T back in April for my third fill which was the first time I ever really felt true restriction. I was so tight, I almost went back to get unfilled but hung in there and since I wasn't having any trouble, figured it was fine. Dr. T told me in April that I should be good to go for a while and that I should decide when and if I needed my next fill. So, fast forward to August. I waited a little too long for a fill but life got in the way (work, vacation, etc.) so I was ready. When I saw him in August, he was a little upset with me and said for the first year, I should be coming ever 6 weeks regardless of needing a fill or not. I'm so confused....:huh2:Trust me, I'd go see him every week if I could. He's great and the support is much needed.

My question is, if I don't need a fill, do I make an appointment to see him at his office every 6 weeks or do I schedule the fill and let him decide once I get there if I need it or not? Did you all get the same instructions? He indicated that I had only lost 14 lbs from April to August and I should be a little farther ahead than that. I agree, I have made some mistakes and I can't believe how hard its been to get back on track after a summer of not so great choices. I'm just glad that I didn't gain at this point.

Thanks for any insight you can offer. I hope to offer some support to anyone new to Dr. T's group. He's great, and the lapband was the smartest decision I've ever made!!

Sue

Sue,

I too see Dr. T. I went in July for a fill and saw him in August and was doing pretty well. Since then I have only lost about 4 lbs. I know he is going to say something about it, but I really feel like if I get another fill I won't be able to eat at all. He too told me about probably not needing a fill for a while so I'm very confused. I also thought about getting an unfill right after my fill (also my 3rd) and I'm wondering if that is what I need because I think I'm not getting enough calories in.

I went for blood work since I am 6 months out and I am now anemic and my Vitamin D levels are low so I'm not really sure what he will say about that.

I guess I need to decide if I should try a slight unfill for a while or if I need another fill. I do get stuck sometimes and have no hunger at all so I don't really think a fill in the answer :lol:

Help! I'm not liking too many of the Protein Drinks. The Champion whey is ok, but don't love it. The Isopure Water sucks! Has anyone tried the New Whey Bullets? I'm only 1 day post op, but having trouble getting in my Protein. I'm actually not hungry at all. I would welcome any tasty protein supplement suggestions. Thx.

Help! I'm not liking too many of the Protein drinks. The Champion Whey is ok, but don't love it. The Isopure Water sucks! Has anyone tried the New Whey Bullets? I'm only 1 day post op, but having trouble getting in my protein. I'm actually not hungry at all. I would welcome any tasty protein supplement suggestions. Thx.

I had a horrible time getting my protein in to begin with. I tried but the protein drinks made my stomach hurt pretty bad.

One thing that saved me was Sonic ice (thanks Pat!). You can go to Sonic and they will sell bags of their ice. It is just the right size to suck/chew on.

I couldn't do the protein drinks until about 2-3 weeks after surgery and I was so sick of sweet stuff. I cheated a little about 3 days out and got some boneless dark meat, yolkless egg noodles, bullion and boiled it and then put it thru my Magic Bullit and ate that. I couldn't stand sweet. This was a little salty and very thin but satisfying.

When I went to see Dr. T after the first week he said it was ok that I couldn't get the protein in. He told me to wait another week and try. After that I was fine.

Also have you tried the Special K powders you can add to water? I think they are 5g of protein.

Does Sonic Ice have Protein? Doesn't that have a lot of sugar? I did eat a sugar free popsicle today, and that was good. I'm just having trouble getting the protein in. Maybe it will get better in a week or so. Haven't tried the special k powders yet. Maybe I'll give that a try. I had a lot of pain today and yesterday. Dr T told me to take some advil. That surprised me, as I didn't think we could take that, but it helped a lot!

No Protein in the ice. It is just normal ice...water only. It helps to keep fluids in. Dehydration was a concern for me because I couldn't get hardly anything in. The Sonic ice is just convenient due to its size. It is just shaped like little balls and it is easy to suck on or chew. It was easy just to have a cup of it with me at all times.

J...try the vanilla rice Protein, I get it at the Vitamin Shoppe, it's the only protein chit I can use, no flavor and no smell. I use it with ice and orange juice and frozen straberries, etc. (it goes through a straw). It's not as high in protein as the others, but at least it's protein and it works.

Take care.