Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hampton Roads/Peninsula thread

WOW! Where is everyone? This is a very non-active thread. How is everyone doing with their band? How about the newbies? We need some action on this thread!

Hey everyone this thread has been dead so I joined up with June 09 Jounery's. I was banded 6/05/09 and so far I have lost 31 lbs. I have had 2 fills going for my second one on 9/10/09. I am working full-time and going to LPN school 5 nights a week. I get up at 6 AM to be on the treadmill by 6:15 am to get in 30-40 mins. of walking during the week and hopefully if I have time I can get in 45 mins. on Sunday (which has not happened since school started). I say all this because with such a busy schedule I still have found time for the first time to walk daily, I watch what I eat, and I am seeing results and if it took getting this band to motivated and help HELL !! I wish I had done this 10 years ago. Nevertheless I am doing good and I feel great with clothes falling off me and everything. So please lets get this thread re-started because I need all the motivation I can get.

Hi Keam, how are your fills going? Do you seem to have good restriction? Congrats on your loss. You're doing great!

Hi Keam, how are your fills going? Do you seem to have good restriction? Congrats on your loss. You're doing great!

The first fill I had no restriction and the second one I had a little for about a week and half, then nothing so I am going on Sept. 10th which will be 4 weeks from the last fill because I have no more restriction and I am starting to get hungry between meals. I have 9cc in an 11cc band so I am afraid I might not ever get to my "sweet spot" before I max out on CC's. Lol

Yeah, that is my feeling exactly. I'm already maxed out, although they say they can go a little over. I'm at 9.2 in a 9cc realize. Do you have a realize band. Also, I was trying to remember. Did you go to WLSC of Hampton Roads, or did you go to Norfolk Surg on the Southside. I can't remember if you said.

They were pretty aggressive with your fills too.

I remember now, you had Dr. T as well. Do you have the new 11 cc realize band. You are in a very similar situation as me. Very similar in size when we started, etc... Because we are actually one of his "smaller" patients so he says, it takes alot more Fluid to fill the band to get to restriction. It sounds like you are taking aggressive fills as well like I did. My first fill was 5cc. I was like HOLY WOW! I've been filling every 6-8 weeks since then. I've had like 6 fills. He says you can fill over the max, but I've heard that it can fold the band if you do that too much. I haven't asked him about that. I'm a little discouraged right now because my band filled so fast. I have had great weight loss, but man I have worked for it. I'm still very happy I did this. I know I could not have gotten here on my own. I guess I just worry about the future and maintenance. I worry because I really don't have any room in my band for maintenance fills.

I remember now, you had Dr. T as well. Do you have the new 11 cc realize band. You are in a very similar situation as me. Very similar in size when we started, etc... Because we are actually one of his "smaller" patients so he says, it takes alot more Fluid to fill the band to get to restriction. It sounds like you are taking aggressive fills as well like I did. My first fill was 5cc. I was like HOLY WOW! I've been filling every 6-8 weeks since then. I've had like 6 fills. He says you can fill over the max, but I've heard that it can fold the band if you do that too much. I haven't asked him about that. I'm a little discouraged right now because my band filled so fast. I have had great weight loss, but man I have worked for it. I'm still very happy I did this. I know I could not have gotten here on my own. I guess I just worry about the future and maintenance. I worry because I really don't have any room in my band for maintenance fills.

Yes I had the wonderful Dr. T. I love him to death. I have the new Realize C band which is an 11 cc band. My first fill was 6cc and then the second was an additional 3cc so I don't what the next one will hold for me because I still need room to lose. Lol I was 243lb when I started now I am 211lb, but I feel like I have done most of it on my own with motivation from the band though, since I have not really felt any restriction yet.

I live in Chesapeake, just signed up for the next seminar at WLSC with Dr. Terracina today. Pretty sobering when it asked for my weight and I stepped on the scale and got the over-limit display. At first I thought it was a mistake!

Definitely time to get the ball rolling. What goes on at the free seminar anyway? I tried calling WLSC to just schedule an appointment but the calling tree didn't seem to have much other than the seminar signups so I figured that's the right place to start. Also taking my husband with since he's sort of cautious about the idea of me getting surgery, although supportive. Figure it will help alleviate his curiosity and get me going.

I haven't been to my regular doctor for at least a year, just because I got fed up with being put on then taken off of different medications while my weight crept up and my energy/mood/money got sapped away. I hope that doesn't create many problems with the preliminary stuff! I have Aetna POS (ppo) and from what I've gathered around here I'll probably have a few months of prep ahead anyway.

In any case, I'll be thrilled just to get started on the process. Just finding out about banding, reading up on it and making the decision to try for it has helped me feel a lot more in control than I have in years.

Does anyone know of a lapband support group in or around the Suffolk area? I can't seem to find one.

Hello everyone just wanted to check in and try to keep this tread alive. I had my third fill yesterday, I am down 32lbs, and looking forward to "onderland". Dr. T said I should really feel this "fill" work some wonders and its only been a little over 12 hours and I must that I feel a big difference from the last two fills so hope I can get to "onderland" with this fill. Hope everyone is doing and please share you stories to keep this tread alive for people in our area that really need it. Like me !!!

Well hello everyone! My name is Della and I am from NSG with Dr Fontana. I have the Lapband version of tha band and it holds 10cc's. I am at 6.75 I think...lol I have had 5 fills to get to this point. I have had some sort of restriction at every fill just didn't always last. As I got more fills They lasted alot longer. I was at my sweet spot for six months with the fill before last. I got my last one and am totally there again so far. I have lost 95lbs so far andmy surgery was 8/4/08. I am completely happy with my decision so far and know I could not have donethis on my own! I can say to you all who have been struggling to keep up the good work! It is so worth the hard work when it actually pays off.

Edited by BANDIT GIRL

Hello,

It's been months since I checked in on LapBandTalk.

I was banded this year on April 16th. Since the start of my LapBand journey in December 2008, I have lost 50 pounds. I feel great, but I've hit a weight loss plateau.

My doc said he put 2 cc's in my band during the surgery. I had my first and only 1cc post-op fill in late May. I was gagging and sliming for weeks and was actually considering having the 1cc removed because I was miserable.

I am still having some problem days with eating. It seems to be a day by day problem and not related to any specific food. A few times a week something gets stuck in my throat and I have to vomit to get it out. Sick isn't it!!!

I have an check in/fill appt at the end of this month. Since I seem to have hit a plateau, I'm thinking about another fill, but I dread the sliming experience again. I was constantly either running to the restroom to spit up slime, or a I'd have to pull the car over, or run to the nearest public trash can. I ended up carrying a roll of paper towels everywhere I went "just in case".

Now a question: Has anyone ever had their lower extremities go numb during that stuck, gagging, I have to vomit feeling? I know it related to the band because I never had that happen until after the band. My doc said he never heard of that happening to anyone.

When I feel stuck and stand up to go get unstuck, it feels like my extremities have fallen asleep and my legs are going to give out. It's scary. Any insight fellow banders?

Thanks for letting me rant a little. Any and all input is appreciated.

Blessings to all!

Vayiayia, I've never heard of that happening, but I'm sure anything is possible. Maybe straining from vomiting causes pressure on the nerve of your extremities. I dont know. Did you search it on the lapband site? I've learned you can pretty much find anything on there. If its happened, it's on there. lol Sliming, etc.. is no fun. I can see why you're hesitant about getting another fill. What size is your band? It sounds weird that 3cc in your band could do that.

Della, You're doing fabulous. Keep up the great work!

Hi Keam, How's your latest fill going. How much did Dr. T put in? I'm still struggling with little restriction. I haven't been back in. I hit my bandiversary on the 11th. I need to schedule my appt. with Dr. T's office to have my before and after pics taken. I'm still discouraged that I had no more restriction with my last two fills. I feel like the band reject. :-( I am still doing well. I dropped two lbs in the last few weeks. It's definitely slowed down, but I guess that's normal. I exercise like crazy, so I am losing more inches than anything. I feel like I get hungrier more in between meals, and can eat more at one sitting. I just don't know what's wrong with me.

Lotus, The seminar talks all about what the band does. They show you a little movie, and talk about the band vs bypass, etc... You learn alot from it. You fill out some paperwork, and that paperwork determines if you're eligible based on your weight, etc... Good Luck in your journey. You've taken the first step to being healthy!

Kimaly: Did you have your surgery at WLSC? They have a support group at Sentara Careplex in Newport News. Not too far from Suffolk.

Kimaly: Did you have your surgery at WLSC? They have a support group at Sentara Careplex in Newport News. Not too far from Suffolk.

No the problem is I was self pay and had surgery in Mexico so no Doctor in VA. will touch me. I get my fills at Fill Center USA in VA. BCH. I was just hoping there might be a support group somewhere that's open to the public and might welcome anyone who needs support. So far no luck.