Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hampton Roads/Peninsula thread

I never heard of such a thing, eating at 11 am. My surgeons office does not do that. He doesn't say what time we should eat. I wonder what reason he has for that? Did he say? That sounds weird to me.

Has anyone else reading this heard of that?

High cholesterol probably isn't considered a co-morbidity because it's controllable with medication. Who knows... So is high blood pressure. What is your bmi again? Did you say 40. I know a bmi of over 40 is a co morbidity, and that may be enough for insurance to give the ok. Do you have any other issues your Dr. can list, like bad knees, arthritis. Whatever he puts on your medical records will help.

Your surgeons office should be able to set up your nutrition appt. and your psych eval for you. WLSC does it all for you. You really don't have to do a thing. They file the insurance and everything.

I exercise basically every day. I try to switch things around, so I don't get bored, but sometimes I have to force myself cause I don't feel like it. lol. I got an elliptical for Christmas, so I try to do either 30-45 minutes on my elliptical, or I do my aerobics tape. I hape a couple tapes called turbo jam from beachbody.com. They are fabulous. If it's nice out, I walk. I just came back from a 50 minute walk. I try to do at least 45 minutes of exercise everyday. I get bored, so can't do much more than that. hee hee But.. I do it every day. Once in a while, I'll skip Sunday. But.. some girls dont do it at all, and still lose the weight, so... The scale does not move for me if I don't exercise. But... like I said, up until now I didn't have much restriction, so the exercise got me where I needed to be. I figure if I eat 1200 calories in a day, and burn off 400 then that's not so bad, and and I'll lose weight. I'm looking forward to the warmer weather so I can do more outside stuff, like biking, etc... I'm going to pm you, and give you my private e-mail address. You can e-mail me anytime if you want. Where do you live?

Oh, forgot to mention. There is an online support group for the Southside. It's a Sentara support group. I'll try to get the website for you. There may be other people that are going to the same surgeon as you. I think most on this Hampton Roads thread go to WLSC. Not sure. If you talked with some on that thread, they may have more info on the Dr. and their procedures.

I am part of the Sentara board. That board is getting more and more active and I've asked some questions there and did get some good info, thank you. I just need to be patient and wait until Friday when I meet with the surgeon. I'll ask him again about the 11am thing and let you know.

You're doing an awesome job with the excercise! What an inspiration you are. I am like you - unless I exercise - the weight isn't going to come off. I have a personal trainer I'm seeing 2x per week. I've not gone the past 4 weeks, and as bad as this sounds, I'm 2 lbs away from dropping below a BMI of 40 and I'm trying to NOT lose weight. Unless I am at 40, Ins won't cover it. So, it feels very strange to try to not lose weight! LOL. I've never done that in my life!

thanks for all the great info you're sharing - i appreciate it.

And PS, I live in Va Beach. :tongue2:

FYI, I think this site has much more info than either of the Sentara groups. They're rather vague and not nearly as many experienced bandsters.

I wish you the best.

I completely understand that. Go eat a few big macs, or ice cream sundaes. hahahahah Don't get below that 40, or they will not cover it. Isn't that awful???

Thanks HarleyNana - you're right. I have found a lot of great info here. And such informative people not afraid to share anything.

Lovemy2dogs - LOLOL! I know it IS awful!. I actually weighed myself today and I'm 232, so I'm 2 lbs short. I have to gain 2 lbs by friday. Its so strange!! I'm really concerned about not having given myself enough time to get this done and get the surgery scheduled in time by the end of March. I sure hope they understand and try to help me along as much as they can -otherwise its a 17500.00 self pay. UGH.

EEEK! That's a lot of money. I know many on here that have paid out of pocket. That must have hurt. I'm sure most would do the same again though. I agree this site has more info. There was no one on there when I checked it out. The posts were very old. I thought maybe the Southside one would have more info, but they didn't either. Those threads are not very active. Did your Dr. weigh you already. If he already weighed you, and they use that weight you should be fine even if you lose a couple. He'll use your highest weight when they submit the info to insurance. You're right, they need to work fast so your insurance doesn't run out. There are probably lots of girls on the thread now, as all their hubbies are watching the superbowl. lol

Hi Harley, I missed your friend at my last fill. He must be to his sweet spot, as I've seen him every other time. Hope he's doing well!

rhc, how did your appt go today??? Looking forward to hearing!

Love2: you are so sweet and thoughtful! :wub:Thank you so much for asking b/c I was really down and you asking makes me feel great. thank you for that - you have no idea how much that means to me.

In short, it didn't go well at all. I showed up 30 min early for my appt and they told me I had to complete a lot of paperwork BEFORE the appt. I had not and didn't realize I should have done that at home (my own fault). So they said I had to reschedule my appointment to Feb 13th because the Dr. couldn't wait for me because he had a schedule to keep. I respect the importance that the dr keep an on time schedule but that was a little ridiculous imo. I could tell the receptionist at the front desk agreed with me by her facial expression and being overly nice with me. It was the office mgr who was making the statements. Anyway, I was determined to prove a point and I completed the paperwork in about 7 minutes. :cursing: So I was done by my appointment time. I asked to leave the paperwork there and the receptionist was again overly gracious and I could tell she disagreed with what her boss was saying. And picture all he documentation I had brought with me to be prepared. I even had a table of contents attached to all the medical records I had brought with me!

I was a bit ticked off at first. And I'm a little embarassed to say I was frustrated and trying not to break into tears as I went down the elevator and got to my car. Once I got to my car, I drove home with tears streaming down my cheek and I thought to myself how silly I must look driving down the interstate like that! :cry_smile:LOL. I thought there must be plenty of people at that hospital crying real tears for reasons more serious than my disappointment. But I just couldn't stop myself. I felt like my only chance to have this happen had just been taken away and I was sad and frustraed about that.

I almost cancelled a standing appoint the following day with a Wellness center I've been attending for my weight loss efforts for years simply bc I was just down. I didn't end up canceling and my Dr there asked how the appt went. She had sugg lap band to me in the first place. I told her it was postponed and she mentioned that she and her sister who is an anesthesiologist in CA had traveled to Dr. Ortiz' office in Mexico. She stated that she does fills for other patients of theirs who have had surgery done in other places or in Mexico. I coudln't believe it! I had no idea she did this! I have so much respect for her and for her to tell me she and her sister were impressed of the facility - I suddenly felt hopeful again! I decided right then that if I don't get this done through my insurance b/c this local dr's office is dragging their feet - then I'll possibly explore Dr. Ortiz. I'm simply not going to pay 17500!

So, sorry for the long rant - but thanks again for caring enough to ask!

So how are you doing?

OMG! That is sooo ridiculous. And... if you got your paperwork finished by the appt. time, why wouldn't they take you then?? I would have been ticked off too...

Oh, and I can certainly relate to all this stuff and frustations causing you to cry. It is all very overwhelming, and you are trying to rush a lot of it through before insurance runs out. They should have been a little more sensitive to that. You should have cried at the office. ahhahahah You should have seen me on the phone with the insurance co. They denied my claim 3 times because of their stupid unorganized office procedures. They kept saying they were not getting all the paperwork I was sending, etc.. I was screaming at one guy on the phone and crying. hahahhah So.. do not feel bad at all. This is a very overwhelming procedure, and it really means a lot to you, so I completely understand. They should have too.

I have talked with so many women that have gone to Dr. Ortiz in Mexico. I think it's a great idea if insurance doesn't approve. When I am all said and done with my weight loss, I am going to Costa Rica for the plastic surgery. Tummy Tuck, boob, etc... Their prices are so cheap, and have excellent medical facilities. Some of the best and safest in the world. If my insurance denied my lapband, I was going there to have it done. Whatever it takes. This is your life, and your health. DO NOT give up on it!!! It will be so worth it in the long run.

I had an unfill. I'll tell you about it later. I have to run for a 10 am appt. Hope you're doing better today. SMILE!!

RHC, sorry you're going through so many hoops. I thought you were going through Dr. Terracina's office, then I read the word elevator, so I figure you're on the South side. As for the $$, I paid close to that, and I'd do it again tomorrow, but I hope I never have to, LOL.

In the end it's all worth it....just my opinion. I know how excited and anxious you must be, but it is worth the wait.

Be careful who does your fills, especially the first year, you want to be sure it's under flouro.

Unfill, yikes such a horrible feeling, being too tight, not to mention NOT good for your band.

Hugs

Thanks HarleyNana! I'm wishing I was going to Dr. T on your side now! Thanks for the advice on the fills. I would use my Dr at the Wellness center if I have to end up doing a self pay. I am so comfortable with her and trust her immensely.

I inquired at Dr. Ortiz, and they sent me infomation about Mexico (I'm still unsure) and they quoted a price of $7300. I checked & flights right now to SanDiego are about 230.00 with tax and fees through USAir. I'm going to see my sister in CA Mar 14-17 (going with my sister and my mom) just to spend a long weekend in Santa Monica and we got tickets for the same price (230.00) which is fantastic. We're trying now to get tickets to the Ellen Degenes show, I'd also like to go see Jimmy Kimmel live or a game show. How fun! Best part is we're all going without kids or husbands! woo hoo!

Thanks again! I'll be glad when this roller coaster is over and I can proceed down one path or another and set a date. My goal is March or bust (ha! literally! hee hee) I appreciate everyone's care and recommendations - and also sharing your experiences. I'm listening and learning - thank you!

PS - I changed my user name from rhc to LifeStartsNow - because that's how I feel. I'll be 40 in six months and I'm ready to do what it takes to get my act together, lose this weight, and start living life the way I really always wanted to. I hold myself back from so many things because of my weight. I don't want to do that anymore.....

Luv - How exciting about Costa Rica!! And you had to have an un fill? I hope all is ok! I think I will end up with a Tummy Tuck and boob lift after I'm done too. My mom had a tummy tuck this after having new boobs after reconstructive surgery following her mastectomy due to breast cancer. She looks awesome but she's always been slim and beautiful - I don't think she needed it - but she did and that's all that matters. My mom and both sisters are both slim and beautiful - they are wonderful and have never ever said anything whatsoever about my weight. It will be nice when I am slim and look like I'm actually related to them! LOL. I'm the only one in my family who is overweight. Even in my own family - dh is slim and handsome, kids normal. I just want to be normal too - and I will be! One time, my son who is 7 said to me "Mom? what aren't you straight like me and Dad?" I asked "what do you mean? straight?" He gestured with his hands starting at his chest and slid his hands 'straight' down to his stomach - and said "you know, straight!?" I laughed and said - well that's thanks to you and your sister that my tummy isn't "straight" like yours and Dads! To which he promptly retorted "but aunt shelly and aunt marcie are straight and they had kids!" LOL - he got me there! I'm looking forward to being "straight" someday even if that means I get a tummy tuck to make that happen! LOL!

I can't wait to hear about Costa Rica and when you might be considering doing it. Something for you to look forward to!

And I'm SMILING! :thumbdown: Thanks to you!