Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

CURVES-please share you experiences

I am really thinking about joining Curves Gym.. Is anyone a member? Please tell me about your experiencs. Is that 30mn work-out vigerus enough?

Just want to get some insite be4 I commit

My surgeon swears by it but they are closed the hours I can go. They close between 1 and 3 pm and I wanted to go on my lunch hour. Hope you can get more input.

It's wild you should ask, because I just had my five year anniversary February 14th of being a member at Curves!!

I always feel Curves is for the beginner woman: the initial Curves store has eight pre-set machines and eight "stations" to walk on inbetween. With this "circuit weight training", you remain on each machine or station for 30 seconds and then you will be prompted to move to the next machine/station. You go around the circuit three times (8 minutes each x 3 = 24 minutes total).

As Curves gets more members, it is allowed to have more machines--so my Curves has 11 machines and 11 stations, so we only need to go around 2 1/2 times.

The weights are preset for each machine and are good for women--there's no changing of the weights up or down, you just get on the machine and go.

Curves is an excellent start--and the best thing is that it also provides commraderie with other women (generally our size--it's rare I've seen a skinny minny with tights and a leotard join--and I've been to four of their clubs).

I will say that last year I also joined our YMCA with my husband--I just needed to go heavier on the weights to get a better workout. So now I go twice a week to Curves and twice a week to the YMCA and it's the perfect blend for me!

Hope this helps in making your decision! (And I think they're running a "no registration fee" now--and should be having a food drive next month, where you take in a few items for a food Bank and you also get free registration)! :biggrin:

PS Ours used to close from 1 - 3 but now stays open from 7 AM to 7 PM. (Individual owners of each club!)

there is another curves thread a page back or so. I go 6 times a week and 4 times around [11 machines-22stations] but still dont think it is enough.

I also wear a bodybugg and see that it doesnt burn as many calories as they advertise.

however I did lose 10 lbs and 10 inches last month without ANY restriction. so I will continue

I was a member of Curves before surgery. I love it, I go on my lunch hours at work. They say it is equivelant to 1 1/2 hours in a gym. It depends on how you work the machines. If you keep your heart rate up I think it works!

Curves seems to be good option for a beginners, but from what I understand there is no real weight training, only resistance. I did it for a while and lost some weight, and got bored with the whole thing. I find I'm like that a lot with exercising, I need to move to a new thing every 6 months or so..... So if you are planning on joining, I would go month to month and not sign up for the whole year initially.

Curves is very effective, but I get bored doing the same thing everyday.

I too believe Curves is an excellent place to go especially if you do not go someplace now. I did curves for a year and it was mainly to get my butt doing something.... and to see if I would actually go.... I did, I enjoyed it, made some great friends, lost some weight and after a year decided I was ready for more and joined the gym I now belong to but it really got me into the habit to go and work out. I say its a great place to start and well worth the money. believe me a year really does go pretty fast. Also curves have great promotional deals every couple of months that cut down that membership price, check that out.

The Curves that I belong to has the new Curves Smart system. Each machine is set up with a sensor system and you run your tag over it to sign in. It tells you if you are working at your optimum level, under it or over it. All the information is sent to a computer. When you are done with your workout it will show you many things including how many calories you burned and which areas of the body you may not be working hard enough. All your stats are programmed into the computer before you start and are updated when you are weighed and measured every month which gives you a workout designed especially for you. After I started this program it showed me just how hard I wasnt working without it. Its like having a personal trainer looking over your shoulder telling you to work harder. Oh and the average calories that I burn for the 30 minutes I am there is between 580 and 610.

I had a few free passes. I found the atmosphere to be one that was supportive, friendly and would be great if you're just starting out at a heavy weight.

For me, even back at the start of my journey 2 years ago (which is when I had the passes) it was not challenging enough for me. I was already reasonably fit even though I was fat. I could see that the benefits would be very limited to me.

I think it would be a fantastic first year option for you but that eventually you're going to need the heavier equipment and services of a bigger gym. But not till you're ready, till then Curves is a fantastic option.

Hey Pammycakes--that Curves Smart System sounds fantastic! I have the feeling our owner won't expend the cost, but it does sound awesome! :wub:

Curves is fantastic. I am re-joining again March 3rd when our local one begins their food drive for free registration. This time, I won't quit after several months.

The workout you get is individual, and it totally depends on YOU and how much YOU work the machines. It is effective as long as you operate the machines effectively and as long as you work it, girl! You have to really get on each machine and work as hard as you can. Your success depends on how hard you work...the machines and the facility are not at fault if it doesn't work for somebody.

It's great. I highly recommend it. :wub:

I just joined last week as a matter of fact and I couldn't agree more with mamajava. It is totally up to you how hard you work yourself. Today, I was working my butt off and I walked out sweating up a storm. I think so far it has been an awesome way to get myself used to doing some type of exercise on a consistent level....I really like it. I agree that at some point down the road I will want something more intense but for now, I think this is perfect for someone trying to get motivated into exercising.

The way it was explained to me, and that I have found it to work is just like Krista said above----if you operate the machines effectively they work!

They work on resistance -- similar to say the shock on a storm door---the faster you move it---the more resistance is builds up. If you get on a machine, and casually work the "shock" in and out slowly----you get no resistance. My Mom does this, improving her range of motion only. When she gets to the recovery pads between stations, she once again simply swings her arms or walks in place, til time to go to the next station. She does not lose weight---she does not build or tone muscles. She does keep her shoulder that was recently operated on, loose, and moving.

Now if you get on the machine, and work it quickly--with full extensions----keeping the speed up--the resistance builds--and it is more difficult to pull down say-there is a build up of air in the shock, and it is much harder to slide. Then when you get to the recovery pads, if you will jog in place, or do jumping jacks--or dance yourself silly-something--anything--to keep your heart rate up----and do it non stop for a set time limit depending upon your health--then I believe you will see results. I have. I work up a sweat to this day. I finish off with their suggested stretching, and add several in of my own---and come out feeling full of energy, and revitalized.

I joined a gym in town, but there was always a wait for the machines....and it was a different atmosphere----I preferred Curves, so that is where I remain. There is never a wait, everyone is moving in the same direction. They give me a monthly weigh in, and measurements in private--keeps me in mind of where I am and how I am doing. They give me a print out monitoring my progress over the last year.

We have a wall with names of who has lost 100 pounds, or how many inches, or how many times they have been....the music is varied--often times I ask to change it if we are alone there, and really rock it to a steady beat----keeps me going on the recovery stations. I plan to go for 30 or 40 minutes--and when I reach that time, I quit, and go do my stretches. I am home within an hour--it is right down the road---and well worth it.

I am on the 5 foot wall---having lost over 60" by their measurements!!!

Kat

Curves is great for what you put into it. I used to go 5 times a week for an hour at a time and lost 50 pounds easy. But, I worked hard on those machines. Had to wipe my sweat off of them with a towel! You can easily just go through the motions. You have to be your own judge of hard you can work yourself. The smart system sounds great...wish ours had it.