Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Beginning as a low BMI bandster

I got banded with a bmi of 30- but I had some serious health problems.

You say that you are "perfectly healthy"- if that is the case, then why would you want to get banded?

The question you have to ask yourself is this:

"am I doing this *truly* for my health, or is it for vanity?"

Be honest with yourself. Mine was about 70% health and 30% vanity. But I had breathing difficulties, sleep apnea, a hiatal hernia and rheumatoid arthritis. I really think you'll have a hard time finding someone to do this for you in the US unless you can prove massive health issues like I did.

Good luck.

Do you regret getting your surgery. I am BMI 32, but most all of weight is in my belly. I have been this overweight since my second child was born 4 years ago. Are you happy? Are you always hungry?

I think it's such a personal decision. I have ALWAYS struggled with my weight. And, the lower BMI'ers lose much more slowly than those who have higher BMIs. (Probably b/c we have less to loose to begin with...)

It's been 13 months since I've been banded and I am so happy with my decision. HOWEVER, if you had asked me 3 months after having it done, I might have had a different answer b/c it's been coming off so slow. In total, I've lost 40 lbs. out of 60 lbs that I should loose. BUT, with my age and some health issues I was facing, it was the right decision for me. Good luck!

I got banded with a bmi of 30- but I had some serious health problems.

You say that you are "perfectly healthy"- if that is the case, then why would you want to get banded?

The question you have to ask yourself is this:

"am I doing this *truly* for my health, or is it for vanity?"

Be honest with yourself. Mine was about 70% health and 30% vanity. But I had breathing difficulties, sleep apnea, a hiatal hernia and rheumatoid arthritis. I really think you'll have a hard time finding someone to do this for you in the US unless you can prove massive health issues like I did.

Good luck.

Even though this is a few months old I would like to say, I got banded for vanity reasons only. I was perfectly healthy but obese. I was tired of being fat. Why should the band be reserved for "health reasons only"? Why should you wait until you are sick or morbidly obese before you seek intervention? And finding a surgeon who will do low BMI is not difficult.

HI I am 43 years old and weigh 142 lbs. I have gained almost 20 lbs over the last 5 years. I used to weigh 151 when I was 32, but lost 26 lbs just exercising and eating normal. Nothing crazy but not over indulging. After I had my son, I have found it extremely difficult to get back to 120s. I am a runnner, vegetarian and indulge only sometimes. I am fed up with struggling to get my weight down. I just started weightwatchers and realize that I am eating beyond my allowance, but I seem to so tired all the time. As for working out for some reason the pounds dont seem to be coming off like it did 11 years ago:-(. I guess after 40 the efforts need to be doubled. I try hard but sometimes I feel that this cycle will never end !. Sorry for such a long post, but I was looking for some guidance regarding the lap band.

I understand your frustrations with WL and getting older, it does get harder. I'm generally supportive of the Band, but do you really want to go through a major surgery for 12 or so pounds...not to mention the cost? The Band is most effective for people that are volume eaters...and it doesn't restrict that volume, but rather it keeps you full between meals so that you can eat less and stay satisfied. Best wishes!

HI I am 43 years old and weigh 142 lbs. I have gained almost 20 lbs over the last 5 years. I used to weigh 151 when I was 32, but lost 26 lbs just exercising and eating normal. Nothing crazy but not over indulging. After I had my son, I have found it extremely difficult to get back to 120s. I am a runnner, vegetarian and indulge only sometimes. I am fed up with struggling to get my weight down. I just started weightwatchers and realize that I am eating beyond my allowance, but I seem to so tired all the time. As for working out for some reason the pounds dont seem to be coming off like it did 11 years ago:-(. I guess after 40 the efforts need to be doubled. I try hard but sometimes I feel that this cycle will never end !. Sorry for such a long post, but I was looking for some guidance regarding the LAP-BAND®.

I am 42 yrs old and have had my band since 8/16/10. I would also like to see 125lbs again. I had to beg my Dr to do the surgery. In fact, I have been asking for about 3 yrs since my hubby had gastric bypass. My weight has gone up & down 20+ lbs over the past few yrs. I could no longer control it with diet and exercise as I had done before. I damaged my knee last Oct working out daily with a trainer. I had to stop exercising and gained 25lbs. I started out at 175 lbs and have heard many different comments about my decision to have the surgery. My family Dr approved it with flying colors. She made the statement that "you dont wait till a patient has pneumonia before you treat them for a sickness." She has seen my weight climb and was very supportive. I have had to listen to people say "you arent THAT big" and it makes me furious! Why wait till you're 100lbs over weight to get help??!!! I always answer that with "you carry around 50 extra lbs and tell me how you feel" It seems to shut them up! I wish you the best and remember, no one can make this decision but YOU! The weight was affecting me physically and emotionally and thats no good! I am worth every penny I spent on the procedure!!:)

@band-groupie - Thanks for your reply. I understand that this may seem trivial, but I would love to see the numbers on the scale go down. Also anything thing that would make me eat less would be a blessing.

@Shelly - Congratulations on your decision. How did it go ? It looks like we both met some of the same people LOL. Thanks for the input and since you pointed out that it is my decision alone, I have been giving it some serious thought. It would help me tons emotionally as well as physically too. Hope you are doing fine and wish you the very best.

@band-groupie - Thanks for your reply. I understand that this may seem trivial, but I would love to see the numbers on the scale go down. Also anything thing that would make me eat less would be a blessing.

Excess weight is never trivial, I'm sorry if it sounded like that as that wasn't my intention. I just felt the need to make sure you're informed about what the Band can/can't do for you, as well as weighing the surgery against the twelve pounds. Trust me, I know the struggle that comes with any excess weight and whatever you decide I'm here to support you. Even with 100 pounds to lose (I hid it well) I also heard that I didn't look heavy enough...even from lots of non-Bariatric Docs. Best wishes.

@Shelly - Congratulations on your decision. How did it go ? It looks like we both met some of the same people LOL. Thanks for the input and since you pointed out that it is my decision alone, I have been giving it some serious thought. It would help me tons emotionally as well as physically too. Hope you are doing fine and wish you the very best.

I am doing great! It was a lil painful at first but worth it. I have not received a fill yet...have to wait 6 weeks. My weight loss is slow but I know once I have some restriction it will come off! I do not regret it at all and anyone who has issues with it can just get over it! Good luck to you and let me know what you decide.

(I do miss being able to drink a cold beer!)

Started at 175

Today 159.5 :thumbup:

I am doing great! It was a lil painful at first but worth it. I have not received a fill yet...have to wait 6 weeks. My weight loss is slow but I know once I have some restriction it will come off! I do not regret it at all and anyone who has issues with it can just get over it! Good luck to you and let me know what you decide.

(I do miss being able to drink a cold beer!)

Started at 175

Today 159.5 :thumbup:

Wow good for you !!!. Love the spirit !!. 15 lbs down already god bless.

THANK YOU!!!!

156 today!!!!

I'm 5'6" and weighed about 200. My BMI was about 34-ish. In my area, a BMI of 35 PLUS a health condition related to obesity gets your band covered by insurance.

Since I have mild sleep apnea and pre-hypertension, I decided to gain the 10 pounds needed to reach a BMI of 35.

This was a difficult decision, as of course, I've spent my whole life trying to lose weight!

But the band is very important to me and I needed to make it happen. I just cannot afford to self-pay.

Honestly, yes, there is the health aspect (Dad developed diabetes, etc.), but I am just really tired of gaining 10 pounds every year, or of killing myself dieting and take 10 off, and put 15 back on. I can't keep doing that. And I can't keep feeling miserable, embarrassed to leave the house, feeling held back in life because I'm self-conscious about my weight, hiding from cameras and realizing my kids are growing up without any pictures of their Mom.

If I had to gain more than 10 pounds, I don't think I'd do it. But my decision has so far worked great for me. I'm getting banded in 2 days, and have lost over 20 pounds on the evil pre-op diet.

I'm really committed to this lifestyle change!

Nobody can tell you what is best for your life. Think hard, be honest with yourself, and follow your own path!

Good luck to you Boston!! I got banded last friday and we have the same amount of weight to lose.. however I had no health conditions and was a self pay.. good luck to you!