Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

New Guy Here....

I had my lapband installed in Dec. 2007. To date I've lost almost 60lbs. I have had 2 fills and am not as restricted as I would like. It takes several fills to reach the right restriction, but eat that Protein first and continue to drink those Protein Drinks (protein helps control the hunger pangs).

Skip

BigGuy, you don't mention your height, but as a uh big guy, gastric bypass isn't a walk in the park - the fatality rate is scary. And you've already had a scare with your kidneys, and your MD is recommending lap banding as a much safer alternative.

How motivated do you think your brother is? If he's still eating whatever he wants, and has only one fill, I'm not sure that I believe he's dedicated to losing weight. I don't think that any physician in the country charges $1000 for a fill - it's a simple procedure where the physician (or an assistant, often), squirts a fraction of a teaspoon of Water into the op scar - a $1000 charge is unbelievable, and no insurance company would pay for that ever, if that was what it cost. And post-op people need multiple fill sessions to carefully calibrate the exact restriction they need for weight loss.

So, yes, I'm suspicious of what your brother is saying - possibly unfairly.

But you're here on this board asking questions, which is a great first step. The fact is, it's possible to lose 200 pounds by dieting alone; the lap band is a tool that will make that long march downwards possible.

I think this is a great place to share your experiences, to get advice and support as you lose. Can you lose that weight? Of course you can.

It's up to you.

btw im 6ft3

I'm certainly no expert, but I have two friends of mine that each has WLS. One had the RNY (bypass) and the other had the lapband. Both are 4 years out.

My RNY friend had a starting weight of around 450lbs. She got down to 180lbs very quickly, and is now 300lbs. :mad2:

My Lapband friend had a starting weight of 325lbs and is now 190lbs (and has maintained that weight for sometime....she hasn't had a fill in ages and enjoys milkshakes a little too much, lol).

I don't know about you, but coupled with the fact that Lapband surgery is MUCH safer and the recovery time is MUCH shorter, it was a no-brainer for me to choose Lapband. I'm not saying RNY doesn't work for a lot of people, but the possibilty of it not working for me was not worth the risk.

Also, when I went to my seminar back in Nov 07, there were like 6 people there wanting to re-do RNY's. I think maybe it might be too easy to stretch your stomach back out???? Which, in my opinion would suck, especially after going through a massive surgery like that.

I wish you the best of luck, I don't think you're going to have any problem taking off the weight! You sound very determined, and with the support here for you...there's noway you can fail! :cool:

Best Wishes

wtg on your surgery date you will do fantastic Had mine done mar 5th 2008 lost 34 lbs so far. I feel great surgery was a piece of cake . your in my prayers good bro you are keep after him too good team work.

BigGuyChicago,

I have only lost about 50+ in a year and a half. This is because I haven't been following the rules. But I would never ever change what I did and go with the bypass. No offense to anyone who has ahd it done but those people just do not look right. the weight comes off so fast that their bodies do not have time to adjust and most of them just end up looking like someone is pulling down on their entire body.

The weight loss is also so fast that many of these patients do not have the heart to take it - literally. Their heart fails and that's it. I know that with the lap-band I am in control. I can use it or I can abuse it. But I am still in control. With the other surgeries I can not see where the patient has any control.