Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How Did You Feel Physically After Lap Band Removal

I had my band removed on January 16. It is now February 2 and I'm still having pain where my port was. If I bend over or turn a certain way I feel like something pops under the incision and causes severe pain. I also feel like I have a burning sensation under one of the middle scars. I'm just wondering how long I'm going to feel this way. I was off work for 5 days but I'm back to work and its very hard to work with the pain. If anyone has experienced this and can share some insight with me I would be very grateful.

I have similar symptoms are you feeling any better? Mine was taken out almost 3 weeks ago, still have the heartburn.

I had my band removed almost 3 weeks ago.i still have pain and swelling where the port was. I guess lots of scar tissue...did anyone have that as well??

I'm out of the hospital and down to 2 Percocet. I'm scared to death when they wear off. I'm 36yo and 155lbs, 5'6". But I'm walking around the house hunched over like I'm 90 because I can't straighten up, my incisions still hurt 10days later, something keeps popping where my

Port was, and I'm still getting the "gas" pain in my left shoulder/neck. Omg, this is worse than childbirth!

Hello everyone! Thank you for sharing your stories! I am just curious as to why you all got the band out? I am considering it too because I have developed horrible conditions post surgery and I wanted to know if you all got it out due to similar reasons.

Just curious :)

And you're all super brave for going back under the knife...thinking about it just makes me nauseous.

. Mine out after routine egd showed erosion.

I had my band removed on January 16. It is now February 2 and I'm still having pain where my port was. If I bend over or turn a certain way I feel like something pops under the incision and causes severe pain. I also feel like I have a burning sensation under one of the middle scars. I'm just wondering how long I'm going to feel this way. I was off work for 5 days but I'm back to work and its very hard to work with the pain. If anyone has experienced this and can share some insight with me I would be very grateful.

I have that popping you referred to now... Does it stop? Did u find out what the "pop" was? How long?

Well 1 week in the hospital, X-ray, 2 ct's, colonoscopy, and exploratory laparoscopic surgery... Finally figured out the continued pain: adhesions/scar tissue.

Hi - Mine was removed after 10 years, 5 days ago. I have five 5mm incisions and one longer one. The first 3 days were rough with pain and I'm on pain meds still.the worst pain came from my shoulder from the gas. I have to take a daily Vitamin plus Iron now as my iron was low (normal blood loss from surgery) in post surgery tests. I see my surgeon in a week for follow up. I was on Clear Liquids for 3 days then eggs, Soup, cottage cheese now. Good luck to you! Let me know how you do.

After almost 12 years banded, I had it removed 3 weeks ago. I don't want to scare anyone but it's been difficult for me. It was supposed to be an hour surgery but it turned into a four surgery. The Dr nicked my spleen during surgery, Had difficulty getting it to clot. Had a lot of scar tissue also. After surgery I've had pain in left shoulder and neck, voice is horse with no pain, nauseated, and not hungry. I have to force myself to eat Breakfast and feel full all day like I still have the band. I have six incisions with the two nearest the port area hurt the worst. The majority of pain is in that area with slight swelling. It was worse having it removed then put in but I know it will get better. I go back for post op exam in a few days so hopefully I will get some answers to my concerns.

I had no problems after removal. Had it done on a Monday returned to work (desk) job on Thursday. I still eat smaller portions. Have not gained any back. Having sleeve done in a month. I feel so much better with it out.

I think age plays a part in the recovery time. I am 59 and 12 days post op and have bad pain down my left flank and exhaustion. My surgeon advised it will be 4-6 weeks + before I feel back to normal. Note: I was in hospital for 5 days with fever and extreme pain with my band removal. It has been rough. I have not lost the 9lbs Water weight I gained in hospital.

????

I revised to gastric bypass and I feel great (3 weeks post-op). I had terrible port pain and I'm so glad to have that thing out of me!!

I was banded in November, 2008. I started out at 254 and lost 34 pounds, which was awesome. I was able to stop gaining weight and actually be more active. Over the past three years, I have had issues with the band. These issues included very painful port area, which are not associated to any fills; losing the fill fluids after only a couple of weeks; and becoming so terribly stuck (right out of the blue), which landed me in the hospital.

I am having the band removed on June 4, 2015 and six months later, I will have the gastric bypass.

The last 2 weeks have been hell. I had to have an emerency band removal due to slippage. I was banded in 2012 and had my band removed (not by choice) on March 17th, 2015. They pumped me with some much Fluid I came home from the hosiptal 25 pounds heavier and ended up back in the ER a day later becuse I couldnt breath. Most of the Water weight has come off 2 weeks later but now I can eat completly normal. Even with monitoring my calories and exercise I am up 10lbs. The whole thing has been really depressing and I am worried about regaining all my wight without the band even though I am determined not to.

Edited by Sunshine2732

Had my band removed yesterday and I'm in a lot of pain. The worst is the left shoulder/neck pain from the Co2 gas (and the tummy area too!) The incisions hurt of course but where the port was it is sooo painful! From day one (back in 4/2007) they said the soreness where the port was would go away and it never has! I cant wait to have no pain there!!!

I had the band removed because it has made my life a nightmare. I have had it unfilled for 6 years and I still cant eat much (unless its ice cream, processed, or fried foods) Almost everyday I have to throw-up to try and alleviate the excruciating pain from food being stuck. (then I cant eat or drink anything for hours afterwards) Some days, if I have any stress at all the band will just tighten up completely around my stomach and I cant drink or eat anything for hours (sometimes till the next day). I have become deficient in many Vitamins and in Protein (because there is no way meat can go down - ever!) I try to drink Protein drinks daily but it isn't enough and my hair is much thinner than it ever has been. I hate going on trips because I never know when I'll need to run to the bathroom to throw up - or if I wont be able to eat or drink anything at all and just be miserable. So I finally called my surgeon and their office said my insurance wouldn't cover it and that it would cost $3500 to remove it. I told them my insurance will cover removing it, if it's medically necessary. I only wanted an appointment with the Dr. to explain my issues and see what he recommends. They wouldn't let me make an appointment unless I paid with cash, just ridiculous! I knew my insurance would cover the visits and tests.

So I contacted another Dr. and they got me in and did some tests including an upper GI scope and he said the band has slipped an should come out. So a few months later it was removed. My insurance paid for the removal and here I am.... hoping for the best outcome. As much trouble as I've had with the lap band - I cant see myself getting another bariatric surgery. I'm looking forward to living a normal life. Just hopefully I will make better food choices. (than ice cream, processed foods and fried foods - which was the easiest foods to eat/swallow when I was having trouble... which was everyday!) Of course I will continue to exercise and hopefully keep loosing weight...