Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's considered "reasonable"

My husband and I are eager to have kids... but I'm being banded on Monday, so we'll be waiting a couple years. My question is... during my pre op I was told we needed to use "reasonable" methods of birth control. I, of course, don't want to get pregnant at an unhealthy weight... but here's my issue: I have PCOS, so I don't want to take birth control because I'm interested in seeing at what weight my period starts up again. What did everyone else use pre pregnant days? And did it work? :thumbup:

I've never liked birth control pills, all the ones I tried gave me headaches and pimples and very sore boobs.

Pre babies I used a diaphragm for years, easy in a long term relationship. We also used condoms frequently, I'm up for it most nights of the week but oh how I loathe the mess! So that's the deal here, every now and then I get to be the one that rolls over and goes to sleep EVEN now that I've had my tubes tied, lol.

Diaphragms arent common here, and I got a strange look when I asked for one. Very alternative choice of birth control. However I can say with confidence it worked becuase when I wanted to become pregnant, I got pregnant first month all three times, even at 35. Sheesh, when I think of the risks we took when we were younger it gives me the horrors - if I'd known we were that fertile I'd have stayed celibate till 27! But I really dont like the thought of altering my body's natural cycles and went for permanent birth control right after Eliza was born.

I've been on the pill since I was 19. I just found out I have PCOS when we started TTC. It took about 7 months of nothing, then I started on Metformin. 3 weeks later... preggo! I wish I had some words of wisdom for you on other BC methods, but the pill is all I've ever used, and I totally understand why you wouldn't want to go with that.

I would say dont take the BC pills. I have PCOS also. Although losing 60 lbs with my band has restored my fertility. The reason I say dont take the pill is b/c it messes your system up more, and you will not know about your fertility if you are taking it. I would recommend either barrier method or natural family planning. Natural familly planning involves using signs and temping to find out when you are ovulating or if you are ovulating. I did this to get pg before but it could also be used to prevent pg. the other benefit is when you are ready you will know when your fertile. Your fertily is a very special thing- guard it with your life. I went through many fertility problems and treatments to conceive my first and second. This one is a band baby, my fertility returned about 1 year after my band. We never did alot to prevent pg, but I wasnt too worried if I should happen to get pg, although I really never thought I would since I had to take fertility drugs both time. Good luck Jill

I also have PCOS. I'll be doing a combo of FAM (temping and checking CM) and barrier methods during fertile periods. I'm not going to take the pill again, I feel like it aggravated my hormones very much and it also stalled my weight loss.

We used pull and pray. I know is it not a method of birth control but worked for us. The one time I said don't pull out and let's see what happens well i was pregnant! Sorry if TMI but that was what we did!

I guess you didn't pull and you must not have prayed that hard either, huh!? :cursing: That's wonderful that getting pregnant was easy for you like that, I hope that's what happens to me when the time is right.

heidabear - I lost a lot of weight a few years back and at that time I wasn't getting my period more than a couple times a year. After I started losing a lot, I had really odd menstrual patterns, like two weeks on and two weeks off...it took a long time to level out! I guess we store a lot of hormones in fatty tissue so when we lose fat we get dosed up with those hormones. Just wanted to throw that out in case you get some weird stuff going on - not sure if it's the PCOS or what. Anyway, I wish you good luck when the time is right for TTC!