Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Which do you prefer of the two: elliptical or treadmill? Why?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer of the two: elliptical or treadmill? Why?

• Elliptical
    • Treadmill

I love the elliptical. My knees were very sore when I started going to the gym, but the elliptical does not bother me at all. I think it is much more "fun" to do. It did take me a while to get moving on it but now I can do an hour without any thought and my work out is strenuous on it. It is just more fun for me to use the ellpitical.

everyone has there own preference but for me the eliptical is better I own a eliptical and a treadmill and I get more work out from the eliptical both of my machines are good quality machines thy both are worh 1600 dollars together so nothing cheap about these babies but the work out for me is better on the eliptical:thumbup:

I like the treadmil because I am forced to go a speed I set.

If I set it for a speed I have to walk that fast. even when I am watching tv I still walk the speed. On the elliptical if I get distracted I end up slowing down.

That is why I prefer the treadmil.

As with a most things related to exercise, the elliptical is something you begin in short spurts, and increase as your stamina increases. I think when I got mine, I started at like 3 minutes!!! Then in a few days I went up to 5...then added a minute or 2 everytime I thought I could. The pre programmed work outs on mine are set some are 20 minutes, and some are 30 minutes. I can now do either, and sometimes choose to go beyond that.

I listen to books on CD or on my Ipod while I walk. There are times I am exhausted, but want to know what happens next so I keep going! I do not allow myself to listen any other time!

Try your elliptical again---begin with 5 minutes several different times through the day--slowly increase that--it will improve faster than you expect! It is a great workout my Dr.'s have all said.

Kat

Thanks Kat not I dont feel so bad about only doing a few minutes on the one last night.

I also love listening to books on my MP3 player! I get thru my work out much easier!:thumbup:

Elliptical, all the way. It is all about the low impact. Treadmills hurt my back, knees, and ankles. Plus the elliptical is all moderny and newfangledy. :smile2:

I did 5 minutes on the Elliptical last night Woo Hoo.

I am trying to transistion over to it vs the treadmil

I have a Precor eliptical. It's great, but it cost about $2000 five years ago. It weighs a TON. It took two beefy delivery guys at least 15 minutes to get it up our stairs. We joke that when we sell the house, it's staying. I would be veeeery suspicious of a $189 eliptical trainer.

I use my treadmill. I got a commercial NordicTrack from costco for $800 and I love it. I can switch up my workout by changing speed, incline and my intensity. I can walk and/or run. I had originally purchased a cheaper treadmill and returned it because when we ran on it is was very shaky.

I'm happy to say that I started walking on 1/21/08 and since then have only missed 2 or 3 days. That's more than I've ever done in my life :-)

I have to say I have been doing the Elliptical more and I really am starting to like it. I am up to 11 minutes then I walk on the treadmil for 20 minutes. I can walk much faster on the elliptical and I really get my heart pumpin but my ankles dont ache at night.

I use both, but you get a better workout with the elliptical and I find it more enjoyable. I burn twice as many calories for the same amount of time on the elliptical as well.

i AM UP TO 26 MINUTES ON THE ELLIPTICAL!

WOW I really sweat up a storm in 26 minutes.

I increase my time every time I get on it.

On the Elliptical I usually burn about 425cal for 30min and on Treadmill for about 30min its around 250 cal (i think). I dont think it really acurate on cal burn but it does seem to work out a good amount but either way I try to switch back and forth Elliptical week to Treadmill week.

So... Im at 30min Elliptical now and Treadmill at 45min (3.2mile). Who knew I could do this much cardio... cant wait to get better time. :wink:

Oh I hate the elliptical. It hurts my ankles and I always think I am going to fall off of it. I can't do it long enough to really get a work out. Maybe I am just too big.