Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Facing up to the situation

Well, I've come to the conclusion that I really am too tight and need an unfill. I've had reflux on and off for a couple of weeks now, and can't really operate with such spotty sleep. The good news is that my doctor's office can do unfills in the office so it won't involve fluoroscopy or all the hoo-ha.

I'm going to try to set this up for Wednesday. Of course since this last fill I've now lost almost 20 lbs and I'd hate to see that slow down, but I have to be realistic. I don't want any esophageal damage and as I've said a million times, I don't want there to be ANY problems with my band so I'm going to be as cautious as I can.

OK, I've said it. Now I just have to make the phone call. :)

Alex, as hard as it is to do, I think it is the prudent thing to do. I would think that because I just did it myself this week. I had been losing weight quickly, but had had bad problems with air trapping, pain, and reflux. Also, it had gotten to the point that I was actually starting to gain weight because I was trending toward those unhealthy, but band-friendly foods like chips, etc. I got .5cc taken out. I still have some restriction, but I miss the tight restriction I had. But my symptoms have improved.

Good luck with your decision. I hope you feel better.

Nancy

Girlfriend, been there and done that, last week! I, too, tried to hang on to that fill as long as I could and I so didn't want to give it up! But, oh, the relief has been so sweet!! Good luck with your unfill.

I am happy for both you & blossom you both are choosing such a smart road to follow & will be rewarded in the end. I hope all goes smoothly.

When I had my first unfill I actually called the nurse at my doctors office crying!! I felt like he had taken something from me...but couple of weeks with a little added again and I was good as new!! Good luck to u!

hye alex,

i too hated to get the unfill, and i hated even more that it lasted for 4 months BUT i had piece of mind that i was doing everything possible to avoid any complications!

i am still not even at the level of fill i was when i went in for the original fill but i will get there! i am in no hurry. i am already at my original goal of 14/16's...anything else i lose is a bonus!

You've all reassured me, though I already knew I was doing the right thing. It will be a pure-T pleasure to sleep flat again! Michelle, you said exactly what I needed to hear--about not being in a hurry. My original "goal" too was 230, the low point I'd reached after Opti-fast back in 1990. So my test will be maintaining this weight, which I'm sure I can do even with less restriction. I'm thrilled to have made it this far and want to be really careful about the future. I'm ready for my unfill, doctor! :)

i tell you what alex as soon as the dr gave me the unfill he had me drink Water and when it went down without even stoping in my pouch i realized how tight i had been! that Water was like liquid gold! i think if i had gone through the weekend i would have gotten dehydrated. i didnt have reflux before my second unfill i just got super tight and was going out of town over the holidays...always better safe than sorry.

how long will your dr have you wait till you can get refilled? right now i am 3 weeks out from the refill and not sure about the level i have now so my new thing is i can eat as much fruits and veggies as i want plus my 3 meals a day. they are pretty low in calorie and they fill me up and give me fiber!

you look ABSOLUTLY FLAB-U-LESS ALEX!!! and i know how great you feel! just think we are approaching our 2 year and have both already hit our own personnal goals!!! i told myself from the begining 3-5 years...3-5 years...3-5 years...3-5 years...and its only been 18 months!! so we are doing GREAT!!!!

i know pre-op i tried to avoid thinking about my weight, calories, exercise etc so now sometimes it seems so consuming! i am always either making a meal, buying food, eating food, working out, washing gym clothes, reading labels, drinking water etc. everything revolves around the new healthier me!

i looked at ALOT of pre-op pics of myself while i was unfilled!

michelle

Alex good for you, a very wise choice. I had my first unfill and yes my weight loss has slowed but I don't know how anyone could live like that. I did for 7 days and thought I was going to die. You will feel so much better.

how long will your dr have you wait till you can get refilled? right now i am 3 weeks out from the refill and not sure about the level i have now so my new thing is i can eat as much fruits and veggies as i want plus my 3 meals a day. they are pretty low in calorie and they fill me up and give me fiber!

The last time I had any Fluid taken out he wanted to see me in six weeks. At the end of that period I asked if the fill could be put back, and he actually filled me a tiny bit more than I had been before. So maybe it's just that extra .1 cc that is doing me in this time, and that's all that will have to be removed. I think this is just going to be a teeny tiny adjustment and I'm hoping it will be the last one I need for a long time.

Eating fruits and veggies sounds HEAVENLY!! :)

Hi Alex,

Good plan! I had reflux for one night two weeks after my fill last Aug 2003 and I was rushing to the doc to take some out! I did not even wait an hour after it happened and I was in my car at 6:00 am heading to my docs office.

I cant imagine having reflux on a regualr basis and I do know some people that dont understand that reflux should not be part of the banding experience.. I feel pretty fortunate that I have not had this problem. I have not had a PB in 9 months and only 5 times in 20 months, each experience being from chicken or steak .

There are days that I am convinced I need more restriction because my weight loss has slowed down so much and I do have the ability to eat more. I then do a mental adjustment, go back to basics and find that the weight can still come off if I work at it and stick to the basics.

Babs in TX

I'm glad I read this thread. Thanks to PMS I've had way too much restriction the last couple of days, and even liquid yogurt was getting stuck in my band. I've been happy with my recent weight loss and feeling of fullness, but this reflux has got to stop. If I still feel like this after my monthly buddy passes through town, I'll get a slight unfill.

The thing I will miss is indeed the feeling of fullness, Zoe. I literally have to remind myself to eat! Today I think I've had something like 800 calories. It really is nice not to be hungry, but it's also not normal. And lord knows waking up coughing with Fluid in my throat isn't normal either. :rolleyes

Alex you are one of the most experienced bandsters her always giving such sound advice and encouragement. I'm so glad you are going in for an unfill . You are being a responsible bandster and I admire you for taking control and not letting the great wieght loss you have been experiencing deter you from doing what you know in your heart is the right thing to do for you and your band :cool:

I have always said, this is not a race but a journey.