Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Feeling Really Bummed

I was getting ready to go buy a treadmil this week end 'cause I been feeling really good, and Thursday night I fell down the stairs outside of work, broke my ankle and am crutches for at least one month, now ther is no chance for any exercise and I will probably plateau in my weight loss and everything else is really SHIT!!!

Bigmom

Banded Jan18 05

Dr. Christou

Total Loss to date 31 lbs.

Awwwww! I am so sorry that happened to you! But don't get discouraged, a while back I ruptured a disc in my back and couldn't walk for 7 months, (I went to a quack doctor that said it was a pinched nerve) anyway, I went on a diet and still lost 120 pounds. Opps, I probably lost about 85, then the rest when I started walking. Just watch what you eat and you will be fine. Keep coming here and posting and it will help too! Sending you a great "big" hug, because you certainly need one.

I am so sorry you broke your ankle. Don't be discouraged you will be up and ready to use that treadmill. So just give you ankle a chance to recouperate and don't worry about loosing weight because it looks to me like you are already doing great.

Bigmom,

Sorry that you broke your ankle. Make sure that you do any therapy asked of you. If you skimp on the therapy it will make exercise in the future really hard and painful. In regards to the tredmil, I would say go ahead and get it so when you can use it its right there to jump on.

Feel better and keep your head up, you will be boogying soon enough.

Maybe you could do some upperbody exercises enough to get your heart rate up?? Just 30 minutes a day may make a difference. Try doing arm exercises or even some abs....

You'll feel better about yourself for still making an effort on your exercise. And if you're like me you need to keep the ball rollin' or else it stops!

When life gives you lemons, make lemonade! (Or at least do some lemon drop vodka shots!)

Sorry about you ankle. Hope this helps.

Hello,

Broken ankles stink... I know... 5 years ago I fell down and broke my ankle in a very strange way. It only looked like a small break but ended up requiring surgery, pins and screws put in. I was wheelchair bound for 3 months and gimped around on a walking cast another couple of months. I actually never did any physical therapy and have never had a problem with it since. The only lingering affects are the scar and the bad memory. I have been much more careful about walking and falling since then. At the time my hubby (boyfriend at the time) decided he could make more money fire fighting to make up for the loss of my income, so not only was I crippled but all alone most of the 3 months. I couldn't even get out the front or back door on my own. It was a very tough time. My parents came over to check on me every couple of days and took me grocery shopping. My dads truck is really tall and jacked up so there was no way I could even attempt to get up in that at the time. The best thing was getting to ride around in those electric wheelchairs at the grocery store and costco. I found I really like those lean cuisine chicken with stuffing meals and they only have a couple of hundred calories. Cooking was tough trying to balance and deal with the hot stove and knifes so if you could stock up on healthy decent tasting microwave meals and low calorie Snacks you should do okay. I don't recall gaining anything during my experience. Best wishes to you, Teresa

Bigmom, that really bites the big one, I know it!! I broke my ankle about ten years ago and had to spend a whole summer on crutches. I feel for you!!

But this is one of the greatest things about the band. It's not like you're forced into inactivity during the first crucial months after bypass, possibly hindering your loss and definitely hurting your ability to build muscle while losing weight rapidly. Nope, this is the BAND and it will be there waiting for you when you're back on your feet. Just concentrate on healing and taking care of yourself. Remember, you are banded for the rest of your life and hey, this is your life! Not fun at the moment, but this will in no way change the effectiveness of the band when you're ready to get moving.

Oh man! I broke my ankle about 2 years ago-and I know what you are dealing with. I remember being sooooo frustrated because I couldn't walk-and I wasn't good on crutches so I used a walker and a wheelchair. But-before you know it you will be back up again-believe me. Just keep it elevated, and take good care of you. I know it sounds weird-but take this time to do some relaxaing.

Joan

hey dont feel to bad I tore my rotater cuff had surgery! left arm. The n chasing my son fell

broke my right elbow, ripped all the skin of knee! hang in there Im lossing weight just waiting to find a doctor , get to a meeting to get started. chief

Bigmom,

Sorry to hear your going thru this. Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Nicole has very sound advise. Don't totally give up and take the chance to do upper body exercises. Don't have to be a lot but any will help burn the calories and help with a maintanance of your weight during your down time.

Good luck

Thanks so much everybody, I think that I will do the uper body thing, maybe this will give me incentive to keep up the exercise thing.

I am trying hard to keep my appitite down but you know boredom begets hunger (at least for me). So this is a good lesson on howto control this (making lemonade from lemons)

You guys are the greatest always ther with postive encouragement and postive real life experiences to help I hope that I can return the favor for the next bandster.