Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Type II Diabetes Diet with LapBand?

I am still pre surgery, I have my first group meeting on Feb 2nd. I have seen the food discussed, Since I am type II Diabetes, and don't use insulin but pills and have no other diabetes problems except my BS is a bit higher than the doctor would like. What is good to eat with the band. I though of the Glucerna shakes that don' t have sugar and have Protein in them would be good and Soups and such.

I see some people eat salads? Is there a problem with them? I love salads especially in the summer. Also any problems swimming with the band?

I do love all the information makes me feel like I am making the right decision.

best to study up on HEALTHY lowcarb. I've traded in my potatoes for cauliflower, etc. George Stella recipes are great. I was just banded and presently inject insulin but determined to get this Type II Diabetes in remission and staying HEALTHY lowcarb is the key.

Aquacise is recommended by drs post banding.

My Cigna ins made me do a bunch of stuff before they agreed to pay for it. I started the application process in April, finally got approved in Dec, had the surgery Jan '08. I'm 15 days out and doing great.

The lapband recovery was a breeze, I'm one who always takes a while to get over the anesthesia

I don't have any restriction yet (haven't had a fill yet) but its like they cut a cord that was always ringing my hunger bell. Between staying lowcarb and the lapband, I have to remind myself to eat. Believe me when I say that I have always been a ferocious eater, I always had a bottom-less pit for a stomach, something great has happened!

I too am a type II diabetic, I was taking 1000 mg of Glucophage XR (extended release) daily, my sugars were higher than my MD liked, HbA1c was going up (6.4). I couldn't take my glucophage XR after surgery (I was afraid it would get stuck, they are HORSE pills!) so I didn't. (I tried once and it got stuck, felt like in my throat for 2 days) I never got around to going back to my PCP for a change to regular glucophage that I could crush (you can't crush the XR). I am happy to say, my fasting and post prandial sugars are good! Even without the meds, can't wait to see what my HbA1c is! Make the right choices...Bandster rules..protien first, vegie next, carb last and you will be OK. If you think about what a type II diabetic needs...it is exactly that, very little carbs. The only time my sugar has gone up after banding is when I didn't follow the rules. Losing weight and exercising only helps our situation. Don't fear the diet...it'll be a good thing!

The hardest part is waiting for restriction so you don't eat too much portion size....that was my problem in the beginning...I finally have a touch of restriction after my third fill...what a difference...I can only eat about 3/4 cup of food (real food, not mushie or liquid) Look forward to seeing you in bandlandia!:smile:

Type 2 10 days PO and lanuts is down from 78 to 30 droped the metformen and still ake 20 of Glipizide and 45 actos hope to be off the injectable soon

Hess

hi, sham

i too, am type2, band from4/5/04, since your portion is so small, you need to find foods that are high in Protein, look for that on the cartons, labels, you need to be careful, with fruits, but, when your weight , starts to come down your blood sugar, also starts to come down, ask your doctor, how many times a day you can eat, because of your small portions a day4 or 5 or6 as long as they are 4oz. each time, or what the doctor says, to help you. monitor yourself carefully. to get enough to keep you healthy.

and well, ask questions, on the type 2 diets, weight loss is great, and you will feel so much better, and your diabetics , will get better,

------------------------------------------------------------------

margie

4/5/04

emergency removed 1/23/08

THE MORE YOU WORK AT IT THE BETTER IT GETS.

im a type 2 as well had my band 6 days ago i was on two types of tablet now im only on the one i went on cambridge diet liquid only diet my bs were fine and still are now after banding they do say some times u get off all tablets and its just diet controlled then hope this helps

I am type II diabetic. Was banded 2.5 weeks ago and have already had success with my BGLs.

For the first time in years I'm showing normal readings. I am still taking metformin - hopefully, once I've lost weight I can stop that.(appointement with Doc in August about this). I've been able to stop my Diamicron MR, and Avandia already. Very happy.

I'm still on mushie stage - but am following the principal of Protein first, then veges. I've been making really good quality vegetable Soup, and have a cup of that before lunch and dinner. Protein for lunch and dinner - fish mostly at mushie stage. I'm tracking food in Fitday - finding i'm taking calories equally from protein, good fats and carbs (mostly from vege soup).

Its all good, am loving it.

Edited by Luscious

My dose of Glipizide is/was 1/2 5mg pill. I've been able to avoid the dose 3 out of 4 days. My doc told me not to take it unless my AM blood sugar was >150. It makes me uptight to let it get that high, so I take it when my AM blood sugar is 120 or above.

I have also been able to cut my BP meds in half.

It has been worthwhile for those reasons alone.

Back on Metformin for about 2 weeks now. scale has still not moving for almost a year now. Getting very frustrated!!!!

Band is almost at full capacity, I have an 11cc band. WTF!!!

I have been off Metformin for 5 1/2 years.

Do not miss taking medication and I have my A1C tested every year and so far all is good.

Metformin has been my daily med for years now, along with glucophage.

Given I became somewhat complacent with 1) giving up the C-Pap and 2) going off insulint shots within 10 months of the Band, after about 5 years of weight remains pretty steady regardless of what I ate....

I grew a bit less focuses....ok, careless and crazy....and started dealing with daily esophageal issues and daily slimes/active upchuck the pouch.....

too much caloric concentrated carbs too often became too comfortable.

I slowly gained a few pounds....then almost 10....

took a big hunk of fill out and lost the upchuck/spasm business....and eventually gained back....enough so A1c put me back in the INSULIN shots territory.

So 20 months later I'm 20+# fatter, and time to strive to get back to oral-meds only if possible.

NEED HELP! I had lap band almost 3 years ago and was not taking any meds. When I finally got around to getting my blood work done, it was all too high. Started taking metformin again, which did not work to lower my levels. Then I added Januvia, which did not work at all. Stopped that and started Glimeperide which made my gain about 10lbs very quickly. I was so frustrated I went back to my PCP and we are trying Byetta. Still I have not lost any weight and am very frustrated. the last time I saw my Bariatric Surgeon he told me he did not want to adjust me any further because I'm already at 9.5cc and I have an 11cc band. what are you guys eating to maintain sugar and lose weight?