Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you get fiber in your diet?

i have been eating...

black Beans

hummus

lentils

fresh spinach salads

spinach Pasta

prunes

english muffin (has 8 grams these Thomas Bagels light or added fiber..something)

fruit

wasa crackers

i also add cooked spinach to my Pasta dishes

exercise

Water

and i will take a 'softner' if i feel the need!

ok, the benefiber isnt working anymore. I thought Id bring back this thread just in case someone else is having the same problems. :)

Im debating on whether or not I need a little fill. So I read the information about "Adjustments"... and I question the Fiber intake. How in the world do we consume 25 grams of fiber?

And why would you want to consume that much?? If you are wanting to keep things moving so to speak then just drink prune juice, coffee, tea, heck even dr. Pepper works for me.

Others to try for keeping regular I take a senokot once a day. Keeps things moving right along.

ok, the benefiber isnt working anymore. I thought Id bring back this thread just in case someone else is having the same problems. :)

Im debating on whether or not I need a little fill. So I read the information about "Adjustments"... and I question the fiber intake. How in the world do we consume 25 grams of fiber?

I just emailed the person on that site and asked WHY the need for that amount. IT never says why just the requirement. I will keep you updated on the response.

30 or so grams of fiber is the generally recommended amount for adults. I'm sure that for bandsters an adequate amount would be lower proportionate to the amount of calories we're taking in. But I too have real problems getting in even 15 grams some days.

Benefiber is a staple of my day, in my morning coffee. But that serving is only about 3 grams. My Protein bar has 10 grams (Atkins, which is why I like that brand) but lately I've been eating Cereal for Breakfast just because I can and I like it. Raisin bran seems to have no effect.

Otherwise I have no helpful advice, because I need WAY more fiber in my diet. It's tricky, for sure.

Here is a helpful link about Fiber and how much we need daily, below the link is the article from the link if you do not wish to go to thesite.

http://ks.essortment.com/fiberhealth_rvef.htm

Fiber is important for health. This article will help you determine how much is needed and if you need to make a change in your daily intake.

Fiber originates in plants and the use of fiber has been since ancient times. But it was not until recently that researchers began to realize how important fiber is in our daily diets. The western civilization is the worlds worst in fiber intake. Researchers estimate that the average person only takes in about twelve grams of fiber per day, while the body needs approximately twenty grams to help in reducing widespread illnesses and certain cancers. While some people choose to take large amounts of fiber drinks and other supplements, this is not recommended. It is recommended to intake fiber gradually throughout the day for best results.

Most of the fiber that is indigestible comes from fruits, vegetables, dried Beans, cereals, grains, nuts and seeds. The outer part of grain has the most fiber content and is usually lost in processing. If you buy products like brown rice and whole-wheat bread these are higher in fiber than bleached (White) grain products. There are a few suggestions for increasing fiber intake from the foods that you already eat. Such as when eating potatoes, apples and other fruits and vegetables eat the skins, most fiber are in the peelings. Avoid using the bleached processed flours, use whole-wheat products.

If you feel you are not getting enough fibers and make the decision to increase the amount of fiber you intake on a daily basis. It should be done gradually, not all at once. If large amounts are taking it can cause severe stomach complications. Symptoms could include stomach cramps, bloating, and an extreme case of gas or even bowel obstruction.

There are consequences of consuming too many fibers also. Too many fibers can prevent the digestive system from absorbing valuable nutrients and minerals the body needs. If a well-balanced diet is followed this will provide as much and not too much fiber as the body needs.

Thanks MIchelle for that great article!

Benefiber is a staple of my day, in my morning coffee. But that serving is only about 3 grams. My Protein bar has 10 grams (Atkins, which is why I like that brand) but lately I've been eating Cereal for Breakfast just because I can and I like it. Raisin bran seems to have no effect.

FYI: (I need to update the "Benefiber" thread with this same info) I did some label reading at Walmart and noticed that the Benefiber granules have MORE fiber and less carbs then the chewables... so its a wiser choice to get the Benefiber granules.

ok Alex, did you say that the Atkin protien bars have 10 grams of fiber???

I make a shake and add Benefiber, I can't tell where it's working for me either. Alex, you actually put it in your coffee? It does not affect the taste? Hummmm.

As for the disgusting IMO prune juice, I was holding my nose and drinking it, nothing!

I've been trying the Benefiber, 2tbs. at least 2X/Day, and NOTHING. I'm also not eating much cause of fill problems, so I know that's contributing. The only thing that works is Hailys MO (not stimulating, the kind that says good for hememroid suffers) The stuff is so gross, but like I said, it's the only thing that works. I'm gonna get some spinach tomorrow & cook it & pour eggs over it..kind of a frittata & lots of fiber.

Boy, the things we talk about!

I've been trying the Benefiber, 2tbs. at least 2X/Day, and NOTHING. I'm also not eating much cause of fill problems, so I know that's contributing. The only thing that works is Hailys MO (not stimulating, the kind that says good for hememroid suffers) The stuff is so gross, but like I said, it's the only thing that works. I'm gonna get some spinach tomorrow & cook it & pour eggs over it..kind of a frittata & lots of fiber.

Boy, the things we talk about!

What is Haily's MO? Never heard of it - but at this point, Im ready to try just about anything... could someone pass me the dynamite, please?