Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need to shrink my liver.....fast!!!

Surgery is in 2 1/2 weeks. Haven't been doing the diet the surgeon gave me. I told her that looked awful and she just said, "don't gain any more weight between now and the surgery". I haven't been paying attention and might have gained some; i'm not sure.

Tomorrow I want to do what I need to do to get on track. They only require a liquid diet 24 hours before surgery. liquids only one week post-op then mushies. They seem liberal compared to others.

What is the fastest way to shrink my liver? Low carb? Low Fat? Low Calorie?

Any suggestions?

Marieze

I was only required to do a low carb , high Protein 2 weeks prior to my surgery and my doc said my liver was fine as far as the shrinking went.

But if I were you i would start following your docs advice now or you might risk not getting the surgery !

Mindy

My doc had me do 2 weeks of 2 Protein Shakes and 2 lean meat/green veggie/fruit meals per day.....it came out to about 1,000 calories a day. I have a history of having a very enlarged liver and I lost 13 pounds on the pre-op diet but he was barely able to still do the surgery. This is just me personally though. Most people who do a 2 week pre-op diet shrink their livers fine. Mine is just always enlarged.

My date for surgery is February 6th. I've been on a liquid diet--Slim-Fast Optima & Protein shakes--since January 23rd. It hasn't been easy, but I think I'm past the point of extreme cravings for creamy macaroni & cheese! LOL. Oh--I can have sugar-free, fat-free Jello. Well, I'm not really a jello fan, but there you have it. I would like to know how many of you out there have struggled--but prevailed--on your pre-op diet?

Low carb. Sugar is stored in your liver. The first place your body goes for energy (sugar) is your liver. Once that is depleted (and your liver shrinks), it will go to your fat stores for energy. Try to keep your carb level around 30 gms a day. I have been doing that for two weeks and have lost 14 lbs.

One more thing. If you are going to do this and be successful at it, you need to be mentally prepared to follow doctor's instructions to the letter. There is no more putting it off. It is imperative that your liver be in good shape for the surgery. You are a partner in your weight loss team. Your doctor and the band can only do so much. You have to do most of the work. So starting today, resolve that you are going to do what it takes to be a successful loser! :D

Good luck!

I followed a liquid diet for 9 days pre-op and lost 11lbs. I was only allowed diet drinks, Water, sugar free Jello, chicken or beef broth( add 1 chicken bullion cube to chicken broth to make it more manageable), 1/2 c. lowfat cottage cheese twice daily, and one slim fast optima daily.Oh yeah, and sugar free popsicles. They came in handy when I felt like I needed to chew something.Good luck and if you change your mindset now, after surgery will be much easier!

Well, I was just reading and thinking I as schedule for surgery on the 10th. I was suppose to be on a complete liquid diet as well. However, I manage to cheat 2 times. I am praying God will be with me and my liver and pray you have a great surgery as well

My understanding is that it depends on your BMI... if you are over like a 47 or 48 then you need to do the liver shrinking diet.... if you are lower than that, it could actually be the wrong thing to do the LSD.... did your doctor tell you that you needed to shrink your liver? 1-2 weeks is all you need of the LSD if your BMI is high.... if you need the specific diet, I can email you the one recommended from my doctor... however it is not a recommendation from me, just passing on what I will be doing prior to surgery. Send me a private message if you would like me to send you the diet...

Kammi in Everett, WA

soon to be banded 5/27/08

Dr. Kuri - Mexico

You might want to think about things seriously.... and make your comittment now... if you cheated a little when it was easy, I hope you don't choose that when it is more difficult.. I am not ridiculing, but be careful with yourself and this life changing surgery.

Kammi in Everett, WA

Dr. Kuri - Mexico

I REALLY need help w/ the liver shrinking diet. I told my Dr's and nurses how I feel like I am addicted to eating meats! I have done the low carb diet, but to do w/out meat is torture to me! I need help!! They put me on an ALL liquid diet w/a BMI of 40, for 2 weeks!!!!!!! How can I make it through this period? I seriously have cheated for 5 days out of the 14 days thus far, but I am seriously trying to commit to making it through the next 9 Days. Initially, I was on the medifast diet, but the food is HORRIBLE so they switched me to the All->Cream of chicken broth & sugar free Popsicles +jello+puddings, etc. But why can't I eat stuff like unsweetened apple sauce, or baby foods, or instant low carb/low sugar oatmeals, and then have maybe some Protein products like chicken breast? Please help me??? I just don't know how people can manage off eating liquids when for years you have grown accustomed to eating different things? How do you take a 300lb person and tell them all you can have for 2 weeks are liquids. I feel like I am being setup for failure?? But I know there is HOPE! And I will commit as much as I can to get through this last week. Somebody PLEASE HELP ME? Any SUGGESTIONS ARE WELCOMED <?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 12pt; HEIGHT: 15.75pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://www.lapbandtalk.com/images/smilies/default%20smilies/confused.gif" src="file:///C:DOCUME~1djLOCALS~1Tempmsohtml101clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape><o:p></o:p>

Edited by two1woman

Myn surgeon did not make me go on any special liquid diet or any diet before my lap banding in sept, he told me was not necessary, my weight before lapbanding was 204lbs, am 5 ft 4.:biggrin:

You might want to think about things seriously.... and make your comittment now... if you cheated a little when it was easy, I hope you don't choose that when it is more difficult.. I am not ridiculing, but be careful with yourself and this life changing surgery.

Kammi in Everett, WA

Dr. Kuri - Mexico

Amen.....please think long and hard about whether you are ready to make the commitment to the band.

You are setting yourself up for problems down the road if you aren't able to follow your physicians directions.

I am on day 9 of my 14 day liquid diet, I cheated my first day after that I have been fine. I drink 6 carnation instant Breakfast shakes a day with 1% milk thats it, nothing else. Im not saying Im full but it has been keeping me satisfied. I think its more getting over the mental thing than anything else