Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Friday Fun Thread

DeLarla

Okay, it's not Friday but I'm feelin' spunky so I can't wait. If we can't laugh at our problems, we'll just cry, so what were some of the names you were called and/or things kids did to tease you growing up?

Me:

PahPahPahPiglett

Fatty Fatty Two By Four Can't Fit Through The Kitchen Door

You:

Good thread Lisa: Let's get out all the aggression by writing down the names and in a sense purging ourselves of those names. Hmmm? NAW! Too serious. Let's just write em down.

ME:

Four eyed, ugly, pimple faced, fatso

Fatty Patty (even though my name isn't Patty)

Lard butt

Wide load

Someone put this on my back in jr high (caution this person exceeds the weight limit of earth)

Jelly Belly

Thunder Thighs

No one ever called me fat names. About the best they could ever come up with was "crystal pistol, big fat wist-le." But when I asked them what that ment they got confused and wandered away....

i was lucky at school not to be too big . was called a fat b***H by a really skinny girl so i slapped her face really hard and she never called me it again.

after that i was generally called just plain old b***h ...lol

Thankfully I didn't get called much to my face. Two that I overheard while in high school were Man Mountain Mike (charming, huh?) and the ever-popular Thunder Thighs.

And one event sticks with me even today. I started a new school in 9th grade, which became the worst year of my life. I had, literally, one friend in school and lived my social life completely after hours. The summer after 9th grade I guess I grew taller or something (because I sure didn't lose much weight) and as a result looked slimmer. Well, in 10th grade I was suddenly noticed and made a bunch of friends. One of these people literally had no idea that I had even attended the school the year before! He had been cruel to me the prior year and when I tried to remind him of the episode (which just had something to do with stealing my hat) he in all honesty thought that had been some different person. Now, this was a VERY small school with a total of about 50 people in the entire grade.

I don't know why, but 25 years later I'm still stung by the blatant ignoring and dismissal by people who later profess to embrace us. It may not even be weight-related, but this is still one of the most hurtful experiences of my youth and since Lisa asked, I thought I'd share. (Fun, huh?)

I was never yelled at directly, but the word fat still makes me cringe.

In jr. high one girl told me I should wear a sign on my butt that said "wide load". In high school I was doing a dance routine with 2 other girls. One was really skinny, one was regular size and I was the chubby one. Our boyfriends were watching our practice with our sparkly costumes on and I overheard them calling us "small, meduim and large". Guess who was large? Then again in high school a girl was telling me how she was describing me to someone else and she told me she described me as the one with the "big belly". Isn't it wonderful how we can remember these days like it was yesterday and I only wish I could get back down to the size 11 I was at that time!

chubby

fat A$$

Gordita

Jugs

When I was in middle school because I developed early the guys use to ask me how my rocky mountains were doing. very humiliating

I can't really remember any names I was called... How in denial AM I?!?!

But... I DO remember the SOUNDS. The moo's, the snuffling oink oink sounds, the snide sound of words without clarity and the resulting laughter. I was a size 18 in highschool.

One of the offenders was a trumpet player that sat behind me, and he would make sounds for my benefit. We ended up going on the same European band tour the summer before my senior year, and ended up on an elevator alone together.

I asked him point blank if I was really so very offensive that it was absolutely necessary for him to be mean for no other reason. I don't recall him answering the question, but I don't remember him ever making noises to me again.

Donali, you reminded me of something awful! I was at the grocery store a couple years back looking for milk and yogurt, and I kept hearing moo and oink noises. At first I thought I was imagining it, but then I realizes someone on the other side of the freezer was watching me (you know how the freezers are two sided so they can load it from the warehouse?) First I almost cried, but then I stormed up to the manager in front of the whole store and let loose. I demanded the person be fired, and the people in the store all backed me up. Wow, what an awful memory.

I hope this doesn't offend anyone, but I think this is good therapy. You have to remember it, accept it, say it, then let it go for good. Bye bye bad memories.

I asked him point blank if I was really so very offensive that it was absolutely necessary for him to be mean for no other reason. I don't recall him answering the question, but I don't remember him ever making noises to me again.

Wow. I can just see the look on his face; I'll bet he felt about two inches tall. And you know what? I'll bet he remembers this too. Good job, lady. :)