Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone Have Problems with Milk?

OK...I haven't been here in a very long time...wow have things changed!

Just a question if anyone has had problems with drinking milk and having it come back up curdled? I've done some research and it happens no matter what type of milk I drink (skim, 1%, 2%) although I most often drink skim. I can only relate what comes up in consistency to that of cottage cheese or a cheese curd.

From web research I've done, apparently this means it is partially digested, however, I'm wondering why it continues to occur as I'm so missing my milk.

I am on Nexium for acid reflux and wondering if this may in any way relate to my problem either that my stomach is still too acidic (which I don't think the case is) or possibly too basic.

Any thoughts on the matter are greatly appreciated!

I have discovered in the past month I can't tolerate milk. I have had nearly the same problems you are describing. I had my band placed 10 months ago. I guess we will have to find something else to drink in the place of milk. I had someone suggest soy milk.:rolleyes2:

Paula,

I went to my band doc on Monday and he completely took my fill out upon my request and now I'm not having one bit of a problem with milk, or much less for that matter, however, I'm pretty sure that I have an obstruction due to some medications I'm on from 4 back surgeries that cause a slowing of digestion - basically, the milk just sits in the upper pouch and then becomes curdled as it is only partially digested.

I am going for an Upper GI Endoscope on Thursday to see if I have an obstruction (which would be my 2nd - prior one was last March) or a possible slippage.

Now don't get freaked out because I said the "S" word...I'm sure your just too tight - have you had a fill recently? If not, have you been keeping up on your fluids because I know that when I get low on fluids my stoma swells up and then it's really hard to get anything down.

In addition, are you drinking skim milk? I've noticed that when I've been tight in the past it's more apt to happen if it wasn't skim milk - not sure if a higher fat percentage is more apt to curdle.

Lastly, I did pick up a little 'trial size' bottle of Silk Soy Milk Not Flavored on Saturday and it was actually pretty darn good!

Let me know your thoughts!

I haven't had a fill in over 6 months. I think I got my stomach really irritated drinking whole milk one week and I also drank a lot of cranberry juice for a UTI. I started on Prilosec 3 weeks ago. My stomach does feel better, but I still can't keep anything down hardly. I hope to goodness I don't have a slipage. That would be terrible! I am self pay as well! I go see my doctor Thursday and I think he will want to do a barium swallow. I can tell him what it will say....Nothing is passing! I wonder if any other folks have had to have unfills this much later. I may wait until I know for sure whats going on before I try the soy.

Speaking from experience, I have had a fill and months later had to have some taking out...sometimes I just think our fill level and how we react to it varies with the barometric pressure! It could definately be your just too tight and then not being able to get down enough fluids leads to being more tight...uugh!

I too wonder if an extreme amount of acid has anything to do with the milk situation as well...I seem to notice it more when I'm drinking alot of OJ or Lemonade or anything acidic. I'd be interested to hear your doctors opinion on that.

Did you happen to take antibiotics for your UTI. Many antibiotics are very hard on the tummy and can cause a severe bought of gastritis which would lead to being very tight as well.

Glad to hear your on the Prilosec and feeling a little bit better and going to your doctor on Thursday. Sounds like we will both have a great Thursday planned - you with your Barium Swallow and me with my EGD...fun times!

I'm too am praying that either my situation is a bought of serious gastritis or an obstruction...Not exactly ready for another surgery if it would be a slip, yet, you do what you have to do I guess. I just pray my insurance would cover it and am praying you need a slight unfill and you'll be back to being a happy bandster.

Please let me know how it goes!

Hopefulchurch, you mentioned that you are self pay, but that should not matter if you have a slippage. Even though the banding was elective surgery, the fact that something is wrong makes any procedure to fix it a medical necessity. I hope it wont come to that, but if it does, you go to the mat with your insurance company or call the insurance commissioner's office in your state for help if need be to get it covered!

I am really surprised to hear that you guys are having problems with acid reflux after the surgery. I had a hiatal hernia prior to the surgery, but my doc fixed it when he banded me and I have not had a single problem since. Perhaps because I don't drink juices much (the doc drilled "don't drink your calories" into my head until I dream about it!). I am not sure what is going on, but I wish you both luck on Thursday.

Laura

yes if dairy products come back up, even a minute after Ive drunken/eaten it then yes, it will most likely be curdled. Not nice, but milk and stomach juices obviously dont go together.

On a side note, I used to be lactose intolerant in a big way before I lost the weight. I found I could suddenly drink milkshakes again without getting bad stomach cramps. Im not sure if it was the band...or the reduced weight...who knows.

You might want to try drinking lactose free milk or soy milk like someone else suggested.

I know this sounds gross but i promise its not that bad, goats milk. I use to drink it in high school due to allergies that cause my Migraines, and it take a little getting use to be as long as its COLD COLD its actually not bad.

Just a few suggestions.

HTH

Mindy

Hi Graceful One,

Any update on your band?

I decided to search to see if others had same problem w/ milk. I have been having this problem for about 4-3 mos & I too had been having gastric burning.

I just started taking Aciphex a week ago and 100% improvement - Zantac and cimetidine were not cutting the pain.

When I told my doc about the curdled milk he thought that was odd and said could be a sign of slippage, but dosen't think so because the way he does sutures the stomach over the band, and I have been able to eat w/ out problems (meaning keeping foods down).

My doc is ordering an upper GI - concerned maybe there is an erossion because a week ago I woke up w/ hematemesis (dark coffee ground emesis = blood) I have been battling the GI upset since Aug. Seems if I am too tight the GI becomes irritated.

The stange thing that it has pretty much improved before I had the vomiting - the vomiting occoured at 04:30am - woke me up out of my sleep. I had my H&H checked and my values were beautiful.

Edited by XX BeGone
spelling of medication

Oh. My. God. I am SOOO glad you posted this. I thought I was the only one! I have been too scared to even ask!!!

I *think* that this happens from drinking a bit too fast. It sits in the warm tummy waiting to go thru the stoma and curdles. And heck, those curdles don't go thru very well!

I keep PB'ing curdled milk and have had to stop drinking it as well. This even happens if I drink a latte.

I know I'm a skosh too tight so that may be some of my problems too.

I didn't notice this before I was this level of tightness 2.6 in a 5cc band. But just yesterday my doctor removed .2cc and I am still making cottage cheese (as my husband calls it).

I got a fill this week to 5cc and I've noticed that whenever I drink a latte I keep bringing up curdle milk. My band is definitely too tight.