Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

balance ball & high bmi

I saw a special news report some months back about about some balls being of poor quality and popping. It showed a man who broke both his wrists when it popped, he was suing the company that made it. He was not a particularly big man either.

I have a feeling that it may be a "get what you pay for" type scenario here is someone else complaing about quality defective yeti: On The Ball

I've used them at the gym, perhaps call a gym and ask which brands they buy and why

I read the article below from ABC a few weeks ago about how they had found that sitting for prolonged periods effectively shut down your lipase enzyme, which is reported to be a key enzyme in breaking down fat cells. It seemed to show that even if you exercized for an hour a day and had an otherwise healthy/active life, if you sat for hours at a time the effect on the lipase enzyme could still result in weight gain.

It was this article that made me wonder if maybe using an exercise ball at work might keep those core muscles active enough to stop the enzyme from shutting down. I went so far as to track down the head researcher at the university that did the tests to ask him his thoughts on this. He thought it sounded feasable but wouldn't commit one way or the other.

I'd like to try it but as I said before I'm the only gal in an office of guys that already like to poke fun at me I'm afraid the ball might be just too easy a target for them. Still I might give it a try. If I do I'll let you guys know if it seems to help.

ABC News: Overweight? Standing May Be Solution

If the guys laugh at you, let them give it a try for an hour. Bet they won't do it, and if they try, I bet they fall off. Then you get the last laugh!

I got a ball a long time ago. I mainly used it as I type at my computer (it is my chair) and I talked to a trainer about using it as such and she said that was great way to get used to them. You use many more muscles than you are even aware and of course as you get used to sitting on it you just automatically bounce up and down - just because. It is great for posture, core muscle strength and that is without even doing anything but sitting here typing. Now I use it for all kinds of exercises with weights and with a medicine ball - doing crunch type exercises. They are definitely worth the money!