Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Thinking about Dr. Lopez-Corvala in TJ Mexico?

I just read a great post by 'wasabubblebutt' regarding Mexico doctors. I wanted to let anybody know, who is interested, that I was banded by Dr. Lopez in TJ, Mexico. If anybody has any questions regarding this doctor, his side-kick doctors, price, pre-op diet, post-op diet, hospital care, transportation, staff, flouroscopy, or anything else regarding my experience, please do not hesitate to ask right here. Or you can privately email me and I will answer your questions.

I want people to feel like they are making the right decision by having surgery outside of the US and with a doctor they can trust.

I too did my homework. I found out about dr. verboonen and his Obesity Goodbye clinic. He uses his whole family. I found several patients that were pissed off by the way they were treated after banding!!

I know of Dr. Corvala also. He is a good surgeon but thats as far as his care goes. I actually over heard him while riding in the same elevator with him at the Bandsters bash. He said " These damn patients. All I want to do is surgery I am sick of their (patients) constant questions"!

One of the first to do band placement in Northern Mexico works in a very low end hospital in TJ.

I like the surgeons that are Fellows of The American College of Surgeons. (FACS). This is a designation of membership in a organization that supercedes local requirements and standards. The one that I know of is Dr. Mascareno in TJ. I went and met him on a surprise visit and found him very professional and not interested in becoming the next Mega Surgeon. JMHO:smile:

One more thing. Getting banded and being home with no complications is only a small part of this journey. You may need regular contact with your Dr. Its nice when he actually talks with you on the phone. This is very important. Old saying here "you get what you pay for "

i am in the process of getting all my paperwork and appt. to be banded by dr.lopez. how was your experience?

I have had no complications. I was overfilled once, but looks like that's pretty common here on lbt.com.

I talk to Dr. Carmen on the phone anytime I want, and have her direct phone number. She is Dr. Lopez's side kick... she's the one who does the video tour on their website: obesitycontrolclinic.com

I am very happy with my results. I love my band. Dr. Lopez is very nice and funny. Dr. Carmen is very detail oriented and I like that a lot.

As far as an elevator conversation, I don't believe it. I think that you must brush up on your spanish. That's very unprofessional of somebody to do, and he has been doing this type of surgery for almost 2 decades, and it much too smart to make a rude comment like that.

The hospital goes by US standards and in fact is the best hospital I've ever been to/stayed in.

I was banded by Dr. Lopez-Corvala 3 weeks ago. Everything was easy. After much research I just called down scheduled surgery fly down, was picked up and taken to hospital, have all pre test. Have the surgery. I rested in hospital a couple of days. I stayed an extra day at a loclal hotel. The biggest hassle was waiting in the line at the border. I had my pass-port at the ready all went smooth. I would do it all over again. I will go down for my fills as they covered for a year. I can get $49.00 flights and he charges $100 for floro. I am one happy CHICA...I have lost 14 lbs. in 3 weeks.

I had surgery with Dr. Lopez 3 years ago and after many complications due to his negligence, I no longer have my band. His staff does not respond unless you are happy. Any problems and good luck. His two best coordinators are gone. Diane he almost killed 2 years ago removing her band and puncturing her colon and Anita quit and no one is saying why. She posted on a local board that she no longer endorses his services and now nothing. Hope she is alive.

Yes, Angeles hospital is nice. Dr. Lopez has experience but also the highest rates of erosions among doc's.

He now employs JoAnne Naryan (formerly of Dr. Kuri) to get him patients. She never calls back either. If you read her site, she states they do not do aftercare and do not provide contact with the doctor.

With the options available today at low cost, avoid Dr. Lopez. His removal of my port almost killed me. Truly I was in the hospital(US) three weeks and almost died without IV antibiotics. I know I am not the only one.

Do your research. Cheap and false promises should be their motto.

I had surgery with Dr. Lopez 3 years ago and after many complications due to his negligence, I no longer have my band. His staff does not respond unless you are happy. Any problems and good luck. His two best coordinators are gone. Diane he almost killed 2 years ago removing her band and puncturing her colon and Anita quit and no one is saying why. She posted on a local board that she no longer endorses his services and now nothing. Hope she is alive.

Yes, Angeles hospital is nice. Dr. Lopez has experience but also the highest rates of erosions among doc's.

He now employs JoAnne Naryan (formerly of Dr. Kuri) to get him patients. She never calls back either. If you read her site, she states they do not do aftercare and do not provide contact with the doctor.

With the options available today at low cost, avoid Dr. Lopez. His removal of my port almost killed me. Truly I was in the hospital(US) three weeks and almost died without IV antibiotics. I know I am not the only one.

Do your research. Cheap and false promises should be their motto.

So erosion is the doctors fault? :biggrin: And funny that you just joined and this has been your only post? JoAnne has always called me back. Their nutritionist even emailed me last week to see how I was doing.

my surgery date is feb 29 with dr lopez. i have done alot of research and i have found good and bad on all the doctors. that is how things work.you have good with bad in everything.syylvia is my coordinator and she is awesome. so sorry about your complications.

Banded and lost,

I almost died due to Dr Lopez also. I made a huge effort to post my situation here and warn people of my experience. I was met with nothing but grief! Don't even bother. You just can't warn people.

I have been a memeber of this board for almost 5 years. All the old Dr lopez people are gone. I miss them.

People are for the most part happy at first ( I was) and then his true colors come out. Nobody ever comes back and apologizes for all the negativity they cast towards those of us who made a good faith effort to warn them.

I wish I could do it all over again and save myself the $9,000.00 I threw away in TJ. Dr Billy's revision cost me $15,000.00 and I wish I could have had him do my original surgery.

Oh well. I hope you are well. Now watch as a mountain of shit rains down on this post.........

Christine

Christal,

I didn't have an erosion. However, an erosion can be the fault of a doctor. Most erosions are a result of improper band placement in the first place. I had another issue all together.

Until you have a problem they are great. Once a problem occurs, be ready to get another doc to help you.

Great for you that you are doing fine. Hopefully you will never have a problem.

Dr. Neal in Olympia will no longer see Lopez patients without a consult and an EGD. That should be a warning to everyone.

I had joined this group years ago. Got tired of hearing people complain and saying bad things about my doc and quit. After much thought, people need a warning. You post your great success and I post my experience. That is what boards are for anyway.

To future band patients...The band works well. It is worth the money. Get a surgeon with less negative comments. Everyone likes their doc best. Do research and get aftercare close by.

my surgery date is feb 29 with dr lopez. i have done alot of research and i have found good and bad on all the doctors. that is how things work.you have good with bad in everything.syylvia is my coordinator and she is awesome. so sorry about your complications.

Tlynn,

Best wishes. Sylvia gets her $500 for coordinating your surgery and then will be gone. His own coordinator Nancy will actually call you back aftrwards if you need something. BeLiteWeight is just a scheduler. Joann doesn't even have a band anymore, her's eroded. She has done well without it though. Good for her.

Be careful.

I had the lap bamd done 9/1/05 from Dr Lopez Corvalla. It is the best thing I ever did. :smile2: When I was there they went above and beyond my expectations with their care.

I live in Alaska and I have had some minor complications. Whenever I email questions or concerns I get a response with in 24 hours. The minor problem I had was my esphagus swells if I eat anything spicy, I got on nexuim. I finally figured out cinnimon was causing the problems.

I have a friend that went down after I did for the surgery and she like Dr Corvala as well. Highly recommened from Alaska!

I have had no complications. I was overfilled once, but looks like that's pretty common here on lbt.com.

I talk to Dr. Carmen on the phone anytime I want, and have her direct phone number. She is Dr. Lopez's side kick... she's the one who does the video tour on their website: obesitycontrolclinic.com

I am very happy with my results. I love my band. Dr. Lopez is very nice and funny. Dr. Carmen is very detail oriented and I like that a lot.

As far as an elevator conversation, I don't believe it. I think that you must brush up on your spanish. That's very unprofessional of somebody to do, and he has been doing this type of surgery for almost 2 decades, and it much too smart to make a rude comment like that.

The hospital goes by US standards and in fact is the best hospital I've ever been to/stayed in.

My Spanglish is perfect! I know exactly what Corvala said. In any event "want2beme" The Angeles Hospital does not go by US Standards! You can be sued by saying things like that. If the hospital was the same then why is it so much cheaper? Look I have been around this stuff for 6 years not six months. I travel to Mx weekly, I meet these Drs. often and I can tell you the ones that are doing mega surgeries are making most of the complications aslo the ones that are very lo in fee as well. Do real research and you will see..