Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minnesota Folks

Hello,

I thought I would say hi. I was banded in Mexico 6-5-04 I'am so good weight is coming off slow but coming off all the same. I had my first fill here in MN at Abbott. I think I need another one. Well I just found this site we can continue it.

Welcome Snowy Owl. I'm glad that Abbott would give you a fill! The weight does come off slow, but you're right- it's coming off just the same.

Welcome to the site!

Megan

Welcome snow owl. Congrats on your surgery and I am glad you found this site too. I have currently lost 52 lbs, which the doctor says is to much to fast. The weight loss has slowed down a great deal but I am still losing so I am happy. I had a 1cc fill two months ago and I am doing great. Good luck and success.

10-21-04 245 today 193/192

Dawn

PS can someone tell me where you got the measures.........they are really cute.

hello, dawn from mn, Ive been looking in the Duluth mn, area and nobody does it there!

Im glad to here that it is working for you. Im looking for the day I, Can do it good luck on your new life! Chief,from wi,

Megan,

You look wonderful in all your pictures. We chatted a while back and at that time I hadn't totally decided on this surgery. I have made the decision though to improve my life. I live in Big Lake MN. I am meeting with Dr. Schwartz for my 2nd consult September 22nd. I posted a thread in the General Lap band discussion section and hope that you will view it and see if you have any insight. The name of the thread is "New to this." Dr. Schwartz wanted me to go to the support group discussions down at Abbott, however being I live in Big Lake its difficult to get down in the cities, and its not my favorite place to drive to.

Hope to hear from you soon. Schel from Big Lake.

P.S. my old user name was Schelski-mn

Schel,

Welcome back. It's a tough decision to make, and I'm proud of you for deciding to improve your life!

If you have any questions please let me know. You're doctors advice about support groups is right on- I think bandsters need to keep in contact with each other!

Best of luck,

Megan

Rock on Minnesota!

Add one more newbie to the crew! I thought you gals needed a guy around here, too! Megan, I've seen your comments on a few strands and was impressed with your honesty! I should have known you were from Vikings country! My wife is laughing at me trying to figure out how to navigate through this like i have any clue how to add posts or chat online...but it's nice to see how many others are out there feeling some of the same things I'm gonig through...so I plan to check back often!

I am less then one week out from my banding at Abbot (10/4)...and all seems to be going great! I really appreciate the info on fills and being extra careful in making that switch to solids and such without that first fill. I didn't get this far to fail, though...so keep up the cheerleading, Minnesota! Victory, victory...rah rah rah!

Do any of you go to the Abbot small group meetings? I'm looking forward to hearing more about how to best utilize this new tool that I've been given.

God Bless You!

Hi! I am new to this forum and I am looking any info on the banding surgery vs RNY. I have already met with the nurse at Methodist and done the required testing. She suggested joining this site to see what others have to say about the banding. I would like to hear the pros and cons of anyones experience. I would like to be able to make an informed choice before I see the surgeon. Thanks for any help anyone is willing to give!

Hello Anna!

Did you have a chance to look online or in pre-op info meeting about the benefits and drawbacks of each? I would suggest you do some research on both and then decide the pros and cons of each. For me personally, banding was the only option that did not completely terrify my wife. The possible risks, and equally as important...the possible long-term complications of the RnY were just too much for me to consider it (well...it was too much for my wife...and it was important that I had her full support). The band is much less invasive, completely adjustable, and removeable. The recovery time is faster and easier. The big thing that secured my choice for the band was that recent studies showed that even though the band typically helps you lose weight a bit slower than RnY....if you stick to it, the results after 5 years time are that they get to about the same place on the average.

You certainly have to do the work no matter what...there are no freebies either way. I've seen plenty of pictures of people who lost a ton...then went back to old ways...and gained it back, after surgery! It's a lifelong change to better health, and yet even on this site you sometimes find people who are looking simply for the golden ticket. That doesn't exist. The band is a tool, nothing more or less. With that said...I've only had a band for six days...and I've dropped 8 pounds this week! That loss, plus the weight I lost sticking to a "T" to the pre-op diet...I'm already 30 pounds off and running!

Best of luck to you on your journey. I hope that you find the answers that you seek to make a sound decision!

God Bless You!

Jon

Howdy all,

I'm Cloey from Farmington. I am undergoing pre-surgery appointments at St. Joseph's Hospital. I work at St. Joe's so it's not only really convenient for me but the staff is really wonderful.

I'm really nervous about having this done because I do love food and can't imagine having such a drastic relationship change but I'm also ready to get rid of the extra weight.

So far, I've met with the nutritionist, doctor, psychologist, nurse and next is the surgeon on the 27th. Everyone has been really helpful, very available and I heard that surgery waiting time is very fast compared to other places.

Feel free to write and I'll love reading your posts!

Cloey

Welcome everyone! It's so fun to see some fellow Minnesotan's here.

Thanks for the kind words, SuperDaddy (when I first read your name I thought it said "SugarDaddy" and I got so excited!)

I am going in for another fill tomorrow afternoon...this will be my eighth so far. The lapband takes patience and perseverence. Sometimes I have an overabundance of both, sometimes I am sorely lacking in both. But, it's forgiving and always there.

Once again, welcome!

Megan

Howdy my fellow Minnesotans! Add another Bandster to the group! I had my surgery done in Long Prairie, MN on 8/25/05 by Dr. Fortier.

So far, I have to say that things have been good...one week into my first fill, patiently waiting my next. LOL!

I look forward to getting to know everyone!

Linda

Thanks Super Daddy! I appreciate all the advise. I work in health care and know the importance of taking time to gather as much info as possible. Have you had any complications so far? Trouble with certain foods? I was told by a nurse that once you get through the first year you can eat just about anything you want but in moderation (of course!) How hard is it to stick to scheduled meal times? I work in an ER so we have very hectic schedules and that has definately contributed to my weight. Anyone else have any long term side effects or complications? I love the fact that this surgery is the least invasive and has the quickest healing time, but I haven't heard much about any problems. Maybe thats a good thing!

Hi All,

My name is Kathy. I am going to an informational meeting at Park Nicollet this Friday night, but I don't think I will learn anything new. You see, I started researching the Lap-Band before it was even approved by the FDA back in 2001, but couldn't afford the surgery if it wasn't covered by my insurance. I have recently come to learn that my employer's insurance covers all but $200 of a Lap-Band procedure - unbelievable! What am I waiting for?!? :D

SuperDaddy - I met you Tuesday night (10/11) at the Abbott Northwestern Lap-Band support group. I was the one sitting next to you (and no, not the one on your left :D ). It was great to see so many people there and hear the stories. Hope you're doing well and your tummy feels better. Thanks for the tip on this website. There's some great information and lots of support here. I'm looking forward to being active on this forum.

Annaqpreston - I am dying to know more about Park Nicollet's procedures and what it was like to go through all of it. My biggest question is, if I already know my insurance covers the procedure and they will approve it with a pre-authorization, how long do you have to wait until surgery? Do you have a date yet?

I guess I'll be back here after my meeting Friday.

Hi guys! So today I got a call from the clinic telling me that a patient canceled her appointment with the surgeon and he can see me tomorrow two weeks early. I'm really excited but nervous. I have alot of questions but most of all I want to know when my surgery will be.

I was wondering if anyone had concerns about dealing with the band and going through alot of stress. For example, if you eat when you're stressed, how do you handle not being able to eat? Did you notice a big increase in anxiety?

I work in an emergency room and some days I come home and I feel like I just left a war. Also, my nutritionist says you eat only 1/4 cup of food three times a day. I found this to be quite small compared to what others eat. That is for the 1st 3-6 months. No shakes or anything in between. Up to a max of 1000 calories for the rest of your life. How do you fit food into a 1/4 cup????

Hmmm....