Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Minnesota Folks

I just joined this forum and thought I'd post a note in the empty Minnesota section. I'm concidering having the lap band surgery and am going to attend the informational meeting at Abbott next Friday. Has anyone out there had this surgery done at that hospital? Can you share your experiences with me? Thanks!!

Megan in Northfield, MN

Hi! I'm from Minnesota, too. I live in Robbinsdale, Mn. I am going to be banded at Methodist Hospital. I haven't set the date yet, but on Sept.25th, I'll be meeting with the surgeon and then the date will be set!! When you get the info on the post-op diet from the folks at Abbott, will you let me know?? Mine is very strict, and I am trying to find evidence to present to the doc regarding Band post-op diets vs. RNY post-op diets. Thanks!

Sheryl

Sheryl-

I sure will get you the diet info. I've heard really good things about the doctors at Methodist. My insurance doesn't cover there, so I am looking at both Abbott and Fairview-U of M. I have the Abbott informational meeting on Friday and the Fairview one next Wednesday so I'll have both sets of info. I'm pretty sure I DON"T want to have it at Abbott- I call there and you can't even talk to a person and they won't even give you the time of day if you haven't attended their info seminar. When I called Fairview- I talked directly to the doctor's secretary and I at the info session they have, you actually have a one-on-one with the doctor. What a difference!

May I ask you a question? Why did you decide to go with the band?

Thanks!

Megan

Why did I decide on the band? Well...It al startred back...no, really, it started when I met with a new PCP and told him that I wanted to lose 100 pounds. He asked if I was serious, and of course I said yes. He told me the only sure way is with WLS, specifically RNY or gastric by-pass. He gave me a referral and I went home and started researching it. It gave me the willies to think of re-routing the digestive system...we have it for a reason, don't we? Then I saw other WLS options...I had never heard of the Lapband, and was very intrigued. I also figured since I never had heard of it, that it wasn't available here. Then I was talking to my best friend and found out she just got a job scheduling surgeries(including WLS) at Park Nicollet SLP, and she mentioned that they do the Lapband there!! It has been like good karma ever since. After my info meeting the paperwork got in right away and I got scheduled for a meeting with the bariatric nurse, and by luck got in the very next day with the dietician!! I feel as though I have been given a gift, and it is sooooo the right thing for me to do!!

How's that for a long-winded explanation? :)

Sheryl

Hello nice to see some fellow Minnesotans. I will also getting banded, as a matter of fact I just got my date. Feb 2004. I went to the informational meeting last December there must have been 400 folks there. They told us then it would take 8 months to have surgery, but for me it will be 14 months. I'd be curious is to what they tell you. But, I don't mind the wait cuz the doctors are the best. If ya need more info you can e-mail me. Best of luck Gabby

I went to the info meeting at Abbott last February and they told me 8-12 month wait from when I attended the meeting. I got my insurance approval in April and was told I was put on the "list". I'm still waiting to get an appoitment to meet with a nurse or surgeon.

I'm looking at using a different surgeon for a couple of reasons:

1. I'm not comfortable in signing a form saying that its okay to do a RNY if a band can't be done.

2. I got the impression they think the lap-band is not as good as RNY

3. Everytime I call there, I never talk to a person, I always have to leave a message and hope they'll call back. I understand they are busy-but they are making a ton of money-why not hire some more people?

Thanks,

Melissa

I went to a seminar at Abbott, not so long ago. I was horrifed by their attitude. I decided after the seminar that there was no way I would ever let those people near my body. That's just me, though. I totally disagreed with the RNY thing they would make me sign, and also, the idea that if I were more than 60" around they won't do the band laproscopically---that is rediculous. My surgeon said that was the dumbest thing he's ever heard. He's performed lap surgery on patients that were 400, 500 pounds. It's the skill of the surgeon and the right equipment.

Don't wait any more for them to call you...call someone else. Call your insurance to findout what other doctors cover you. There aren't a huge list to choose from, but keep trying!

I highly recommend Dr. Ikramuddin at U of M Fairview. Although it's the nurses and dieticians that you come most in contact with. That's what scared me about the Abbott lady- she's the person you see at follow up! Maybe the surgeons are great there, but they don't have a lot to do with you once you've had the surgery.

Shop around- this is the rest of your life! The whole process will take months no matter where you go...at least have the piece of mind that you are waiting for the best!!!

Best of luck,

Megan

Guest jasminesymone

Does anyone know any doctors in the Saint Paul,mn area that does the Lap band?

Hi everyone.

I am new to this group and just had the band surgery done on 10-21-04. I had my surgery done in Sioux Falls SD and had Dr. O'Brien. He and his staff are wonderful. The hospital was wonderful also. They were very resectful and helpful. So far I have lost 37 pounds and I am thrilled. I would go through the surgery again in a heart beat. I have been very luck and haven't had any problems at all. I still have not had a fill because I have not had problems with hunger. I hope to lose a total of 90-100 pounds.

Welcome Dawn!!! So good to see you here! Please feel free to browse through all the forums. There are lots of pics to see and great experience and knowledge, free for the asking.

Everyone welcome Dawn. She and I have 'known' each other for quite some time via the internet. She's a great gal!!

Congrats on your spectacular loss so far!!

Dawn-

I love it when another Minnesotan finds this board. Congrats on your banding. I'm so happy you've had such success!!!

Megan

Guest schelski-mn

Megan, Hello my name is Michelle and I meet with the surgeon at Abbott NW Hospital on January 27th 2005. I found this web site and very glad that I have. I hope that being here will answer and clear up some concerns that I have. The first thing though that I read though is about someone having their band removed and how painful it is with eating "all" the time. Do you or anyone else know if this is in fact true? If it is, this would greatly weigh on if I wanted to get the band, RNY or neither.

If you or anyone has any input, I would really appreciate what you have to say.

Thanks so much! Michelle from Big Lake MInnesota

Michelle,

Welcome to the board. I had lots of questions, too, when I started out my journey so don't be afraid to ask.

As far as having the band removed- yes that can happen if there are complications such as erosion (where the band migrates into the stomach) or severe slippage (the stomach comes through the band). These are very rare but can happen. In such cases, the band is removed and the patient's stomach heals. In some cases a band can be placed again. This is the most severe of the complications. In RNY complications are generally much more severe and life threatening.

As far as eating with pain all the time- there is a period of time when eating is painful because you are learning how to eat all over again. It is not painful ALL the time- just when you eat too fast, don't chew enough, or don't stop when you should.

I've been banded for 14 months and have lost 60 pounds. I am a very slow loser- and the holidays haven't helped much. I'm back on track though, and that's the very best thing about the band- you can start over any time you want by making good food choices.

You won't find a lot of people on this board who think the RNY is the way to go- and on RNY boards they won't think the band is the way to go either- so really it just comes down to which lifestyle change you are willing to make, and what sort of complications you are willing to risk.

Best of luck, and ask more questions if you have them!

Megan

Guest schelski-mn

Megan, Thanks for getting back to me so soon! I'm sure I'll have lots more questions in the next week. I'll be able to chat more on my days off. Thanks again! Michelle