Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hiatal Hernia/EGD Surgery Tomorrow Morning

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning and i am kind of confused because. I told my Doctor that I had a large hiatal hernia so, I was told that The first thing that they would do is put a greenfield filter inplace to prevent blot clots and I would also have an EGD to look at my Hernia before surgery.

I got to the hospital today and had the filter put into place but now the dr is saying that I don't need a EGD, That makes no sense to me because he was not the one to put the filter in and he has not even done an xray.

My question is why wouldn't the doctor do an EGD before surgery. I plan on voicing my concerns tomorrow, If he does not do an EGD, then there will be no surgery tomorrow and I will find a new doctor.

Does this make sense to anyone out there:confused:

I also had a large hiatal hernia and I told the doc on my first appoitment. he didn't say anything about doing a EGD he just simply said when he does the surgery if he sees it he will fix it. I had the surgery on 12/31 and he did not fix the hernia he said he did not see it so he left it alone. maybe your doctor just wants to wait until he gets in there so he can see the hernia and then decide weather or not to fix it.

Thanks,

The doctor did my on 1/16/08 and i was told that my hernia was taken care of! I was terrified before surgery!

i had a moderate hiatus hernia and my doc told me he would fix it when he put the band in place cos it's really easy to do. he did, and i'm now at home - 3 days out. i think it just makes recovery a little slower.

good luck. i hope it goes well.

t

I had my band placed and large Hiatel Hernia repaired on 11-12-07

I have not once had any reflux, and it's great. Before surgey I would cry my acid reflux was sooo bad...... Next to my band it is the best thing to happen to me.....

Before surgery I have always had severe acid reflux, when I ate it always felt like my food stopped somewhere in my chest,which also made it very easy for my food to come back up without any effort by me ( sticking my finger or some other object down my throat) I am 3 days post op and now I feel like I can keep my food down, and I haven't had any acid reflux. I have had it since I was 10.

Hi I had a very large hiatal hernia repaired at the time the lap band was placed. I had had endoscopy about a month prior to surgery. They did give me an injection to prevent clotting the morning of surgery. But when he was performing surgery he said he was suprised how large it really was as it did not appear that large on the slides he had from the endoscopy.

I no longer have the GERD, or the taste of bile, or pain! I love it.

All the best

My surgery is scheduled for tomorrow morning and i am kind of confused because. I told my Doctor that I had a large hiatal hernia so, I was told that The first thing that they would do is put a greenfield filter inplace to prevent blot clots and I would also have an EGD to look at my Hernia before surgery.

I got to the hospital today and had the filter put into place but now the dr is saying that I don't need a EGD, That makes no sense to me because he was not the one to put the filter in and he has not even done an xray.

My question is why wouldn't the doctor do an EGD before surgery. I plan on voicing my concerns tomorrow, If he does not do an EGD, then there will be no surgery tomorrow and I will find a new doctor.

Does this make sense to anyone out there:confused:

why do you need a greenfield filter?? GFFs are not routinely placed prior to LBS, even for some individuals with known clots. Lovenox injections are used in my facility and is considered best practice. My doctor did an EGD during my preop workup but said he would scope me the day of surgery as well (in about 2 weeks). My hernia will be repaired before he places my band- so it is like 2 surgeries in one. I am assuming he is scoping because of the HH, but I also have some ulcerations. hope this is helpful-good luck tomorrow!!

Hi everyone, Last Wednesday I had and endoscopy done. They found Barretts Esophagus, large hiatal hernia, 5mm tear in my esophagus. I also walked away with Aspirated pneumonia with which they gave me Amoxicillin and a follow up with my Primary this Thurs.

Now I must ask, will I after going through all the clearances be able to get the lapband. Can surgeon fix it all? Also I must have problems with anesthesia .

your surgeon cannot fix a barrett's- with time and decreased acid a barretts can heal. your doc will probably start you on proton pump inhibitors. weight loss can only help your GERD. I found that mine went completely away after my band

Can you please tell me how long any of you were in the hospital? I have a large hiatal hernia, that they want to scope but are afraid they will have to cut open. I was just wondering about hospital stay.