Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Google and your privacy

Should we allow Google to index LBT ?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we allow Google to index LBT ?

• I don't mind if Google indexes LBT since I understand this is one of the only ways people find out about LBT.
    • I care more about my privacy and I don't care if new users are able to find out about LBT through Google.

OK, since I'm the one that discovered this, I've had a little more time to let it sink in. I am on several dating sites, so having my photo and stats out there isn't that weird. The part, for me, that is a little disturbing is having my weight and my heartfelt thoughts easily accessed. One thing that I should not have done is make my profile name for LBT the same as other screen names so you *could* google it.

I have to agree with Donali about the a third option.

Megan

Hi, Alex B! Thanks again for this forum. And, I think that people need to understand that anything they post anywhere on the internet is subject to being found. To assume otherwise is to invite disppointment.

While I do find it a little scary to be Googled, I also believe that the responsibility for anonymity lies with the user. It you don't want your private information to be available for anyone to find on Google, then make sure you don't put it on a website that is likely to be indexed. Personally, I cleaned up my profile and feel better about the indexing. It is important that people be able to find this website by reasearching on Google. That's how I found it!! :D

I cleaned up my profile, noone knows my last name or phone number so you can't find me in the phone book, I took out my zip code, and I'm lucky enough to have one of those user names that has 35 million other things come up before me, in fact, I don't have the patience to find me when I googled lap band and my user name. I am not a particularly private person, but something about my profile coming up on google makes me feel funny. I'm glad mine is buried so deep it's not likely to invite weirdos, other than you all-ha! Kidding

Hey, what's the possibility of those who wish to being able to change their user name to something more anonymous? Or, could they log in under a new user name and somehow let the other go, what, dormant? Or link them somehow...dunno, just a thought.

I wonder what Alex's opinion is of the Google Spider...who caught the wording of the poll, it's a little biased, don't you think? "I don't mind...this is the only way people will find out about LBT" OR " I care more about my privacy than all you other schmos out there...your'e on your own!" I thought that was funny. You wear your heart on your sleeve!

I found LBT by Google. I vote "I don't mind".

I took some of my profile off but am leaving my picture up. You all know what Side of the Rockies I am from anyway and I guess if anyone really wants to know where I am at they can ask me. I found this site when I did a search on Lapband Forum did not know there was any other way. I did a search on Bubbame and came up with the ADD site I joined but not many people know my screen name vs my real name. So I guess I feel a little comfortable But I am going to miss all the avator photo's that were taken down.

Alex~ I found LMT when I was doing a Google search. There for I see your point that if you can't search ,then new people won't find us. I'm glad I found LBT and it has helped me more than any other site. Yes we are intitled to privacy ,but I think this is a very public place and you must be careful what you write.

I just type deniseg in the yahoo search and my lapband messages pop up. Thank goodness I am not the only deniseg out there, but, it does say deniseg 5'8" from Chattanooga TN. in the search engine, I am not crazy about that, considering it comes up on the first page of the search engines. My blog also comes up and I got more personal info in there than I do on this site.

np

A blog is basically a journal that you keep online. You can talk about whatever you want. Some people just put family pictures, Many soldiers in Iraq have them to talk about their tour there. It is sort of like a website

http://www.blogger.com/start

I agree with you Marie. The only reason I haven't posted an avatar is because I don't have anything decent to post. I miss all the pictures too, plus now we have two angels, but then again, we're all angels.

Denise beat me to answering the question about what a blog is. But you've led me to one of my personal pet peeves.

[rant]

"Blog" is a shortened form of the words "web log," meaning web-based journal. The derivation is never explained anymore, so if you don't happen to know it you're left in the dark. Journalists are so focused on writing tight these days that they can't remember they're supposed to be enlightening us. Sure, words like blog become part of the language, but even in today's high-speed world it doesn't happen overnight. It takes a lot of work to understand the current jargon, making it harder than ever for the general public to educate itself. Sometimes I hate the media.

[/rant]

Hey now, I work in media lol

I do agree with you though. Things should be explained better. I take for granted people know things. But..........I respect people who ask questions that they don't know, then, pretend that they do know,when they really don't.

Plus, there are alot of golden oldies in the media who want to be hip so, they color their hair, get a face lift, and use jargin (sp) that they think keeps them young with with whipper snappers lol

Hey now, I work in media lol
I did too, for 15 years, and still sort of do. Makes it all the more irritating since I have an idea why it's being done.
But..........I respect people who ask questions that they don't know, then, pretend that they do know,when they really don't.
ABSOLUTELY!! Asking questions is NEVER a bad thing. :D