Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Google and your privacy

Should we allow Google to index LBT ?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Should we allow Google to index LBT ?

• I don't mind if Google indexes LBT since I understand this is one of the only ways people find out about LBT.
    • I care more about my privacy and I don't care if new users are able to find out about LBT through Google.

Okay, my 2cents... I wayyyy over reacted to the whole google thing. (as some of you saw in my post) but I have removed my picture and other info to identify me. My only issue is that your pc isp is attached embedded in every post. If someone knew what they were doing, they can extract it. But then again, if they want it that bad then come get me I guess.

I am in favor for people doing much more research than just on LBT though and since LBT is linked from many other fact based sites I think that having posts removed from the google search is best.

But either way, I am just saying THWI and posting anyways. If someone cares so much about my cellulite that they want to find out specifically about me and my personal saga, then so be it.

Jen

I personally don't care for how the poll was worded.

A) I do care that new people can find out about LBT, very much so

:D I do care about my privacy & am a closet bandster to be

C) I do not mind if Google lists the main address for LBT BUT do mind that each of our indivdual post are listed along with the links.

LBT is not only an extreme tool for all to be able to use it is also in some cases the users' only refuge & privacy needs to be taken into consideration. These are my personal feelings.

Okay, I have noticed that every once in a while this gets bumped to the New Post list, but there is nothing new!!! What's up with that?

Well I better be cause I wouldnt be getting any dates otherwise! I gotta have somethin to offer right?! :)

did you know you can google your pone number or someone else's and nine times out of ten it will give you the name and ADDRESS of the person!!!

Yep. if you are listed in any public phone directory - that information is available to everyone, world wide.

I just figure that anybody who really wants to "get me" is going to find a way. No sense living in fear.

I found this site on Google. I hope many others continue to find us the same way.

I realize this thread is quite old now, but I just found it so thought I'd add my two cents lol.

I too, found LBT through Google. It has been an invaluable tool for me throughout this journey. I'd hate to think of other new bandsters not having the same support system available to them.

While I don't really list anything personal in my profile, its just because of years of internet use lol. But I love this place and I'm extremely happy for what the band has done for me. If seeing before and during (hopefully sometime, after heh) pictures gives someone else a little hope, mine will still be there.

In this great country and information age, people can go online and pull up your public tax records and find out down near everything you'd never want them to know. Phone numbers (unless you're carelful), full names, tax ID, and more.

So in other words...if you're a nervous nelly, you can crawl under a rock, and never turn your computer back on...then you should be safe until somebody calls you during dinner sell you timeshares and chimney cleaning. Or you can gaurd your Soc Sec, watch your credit card statements, and be careful with your persoanl information. If you cared about people seeing your weight, you probably never posted it to begin with.

It's OK, gang...we're not telling 'em anything they didn't already know!

Jon (...or IS IT JON?...OOOooooo)

Guest Allie Lee

Interesting topic! Lapbandtalk.com is the reason I had a lapband and not gastric bypass. I'd hate to put up obstacles or block anybody else from the same info I enjoyed. Privacy was - is - critical for me, as I have chosen to not tell anybody about my lapband. When I joined the group, I did not use my real name nor did I post my picture.

I encourage anybody who feels threatened by Google to simply use an alias and remove your picture. Privacy is just an illusion, anyway, since anybody who finds us via Google can find us 100 other ways as well...

Interesting topic! Lapbandtalk.com is the reason I had a lapband and not gastric bypass. I'd hate to put up obstacles or block anybody else from the same info I enjoyed. Privacy was - is - critical for me, as I have chosen to not tell anybody about my lapband. When I joined the group, I did not use my real name nor did I post my picture.

I encourage anybody who feels threatened by Google to simply use an alias and remove your picture. Privacy is just an illusion, anyway, since anybody who finds us via Google can find us 100 other ways as well...

Allie Lee (if that's even your name lol) very well said. I agree with you 100%!

This is the primary reason I have never posted a picture with my face on it, and I would never use my real name or family member names. I was on another site, (the yahoo bandster site) and googled my name, and it came up. I tried to do everything I could to get the site to delete the posts (they don't have the delete feature of this site) and they refused. I instantly terminated my account to the site, in order to avoid further damage. Its too bad there is no privacy available on this wonderful facilitator and exchange of ideas that we call the internet.

I think the steps needed to make the forum private would outway the benefits of a lucky google hit. Lets face it, even if they made the whole thing tight as a drum, a person could still sign up and see everything.

Its a simple equation. If you post information about yourself on the Internet, it can (and will be) seen by someone else.

As for your IP or ISP Address being included in a post, to translate that address to you would require an exceptionally skilled hacker. Most (if not all) of you will be on a DHCP Server and the best someone could 'easily' do is defect what city you are from (which most everyone reveals anyway).

My final summary:

We need a very grown up approach to the Internet. It's designed to share information, good or bad - thats what it does.

Periodically, Google trying to find yourself. If you can't find yourself - you are as secure as you probably can be.

I think we all stand infinately more risk from someone breaking into our homes, or stealing from our garbage to get your SSN than from any data we post here.