Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

help me narrow down mexico surgeon choice

WOW, I have never hear so many bad things about mexico! I HAVE BEEN there and Had a GREAT experience.

There are many DR.s and picking the right one for you is very important. I pick a surgeon who has experiance, and medical accreditations! For the record Dr. Kelly provides Mexico with great value as a person and Surgeon.

I am thankfull for him. And I am glad I DIDNT see this ugly post before I took the trip, it invokes ALOT of UNDUE fear to the unexpecting.

Hi tnwalkersu,

I had my lap band done the 18th of May 2009 by Dr Zapata he is so so wonderful. He's with Ready4Achange. Does Dr Byars still take Mexico patients. I'll need a refill the 1st of July and if you don't mind how much does it cost. Please!!!! Did you get your leak fix? Good luck with it.

Just got back from my second procedure in Tijuana. 2 years ago was lapband, this past week was rhinoplasty. Am considering dental implants next year...but got to do the research.

I was banded on October 1st, 2007 by Dr. Ariel Ortiz in Tijuana. I had been very impressed with his experience and thought I was going in very informed.

After the band was placed, I had trouble with severe nausea and moderate abdominal pain, and I had to stay in the surgi-center an extra night. After i went home to Washington State, I remained very ill, had all the danger signs they mention on the post-op instructions that they recommend going to the ED for. I was unable to eat or drink ANYTHING, had abdominal pain, and was admitted to my local community hospital, who transfered me to the largest big medical center in Portland, OR, OHSU.

I was hospitalized for several days, as they were hoping I would stabilize without any intervention, but they did finally go in laparascopically to see what he problem was after a CT scan indicated the band was out of position.

The surgeon at OHSU removed it and said it had not been sutured in place AT ALL and was slipping around, causing the pain and nausea.

My insurance covered NONE of the complications: they couldn't deny the claims fast enough, because it was all "related to a non-covered procedure". So I am out over $30,000 including the initial cost of the band.

I couldn't find a lawyer in California to take the case: they all said due to the cap on non-economic damages, it wouldn't be worth it for them. I do have a Mexican lawyer now, but as things stand now, the only recourse I have is to go to the prosecutor and make out a criminal case, which we are pursuing. This will result in NO financial benefit to me at all, but maybe it will make Dr. Ortiz more careful (I have since heard he doesn't even stay in the OR the whole time, but lets assistants finish the surgery...and I believe it because that is the only way I can imagine the important step of suturing the band in place to be left out..the assistant must have thought Dr. Ortiz had already done that step, and moved along with the closure).

In Mexico the police actually come in uniform to the place of business and serve the party directly, so if you see uniformed police there you will know that Dr. Ortiz refuses to treat his patients honorably when mistakes are made.

I hated reading the negative comments before my surgery, so I understand if people want to ignore this, but I am hoping it will help at least one person in their decision making. Good luck to everyone.