Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers Unite!

Hi all,

I had a great week. After logging and counting every calorie and Protein I am down 3.5 lbs since last Monday! I am super happy. I think my 4th fill and journaling are helping me. Good luck everyone, lets keep posting our successes and setbacks!

First time writing in this slow losers forum. but I've been a lbt member since dec 2007. I had surgery may 8th 2008 and I have only lost 34 lbs. I just took some 5 month out pics and I dont see one lick of a difference in me. I am in the same outfit I was in when I took the before pics. I still have issues with the drinking with meals, and not chewing properly enough. I've had 4 fills and I have 6cc's in a 10 cc band. I have the realize band and I have pcos and insulin resistance. I have issues with willpower and control. I cant even get myself motivated enough to do a liquid diet even for a darn week. how sad is that? :crying: :smile2: I hate being fat and I thought I was doing okay and then financial crisis strikes and we are now broker than broke and I cant even afford fish and poultry to get my Protein and have to be EXTREMELY frugal at the grocery store so the rest of the family can eat..so I'm gonna have to go on the liquid diet so they have food to eat. I feel like such a failure. I got the lapband to help me with control and losing the weight but it's just not working. I cant even afford my next fill because I cant afford the gas to drive there and my insurance changes 4 days before my appt. so now I gotta reschedule my fill which sux. :thumbup: As you can tell I'm having a really really bad day, since I took those pics.

love and light,

dolphin

Hi dolphin. I noticed that you said you have insulin resistance and pcos. Are you taking metformin? I have been really strugging to lose 1/2 lb a week the past month or so. My doctor put me on metformin and I've dropped 5 lbs in 2 weeks! I'm not sure if it will continue, but I'll sure take it. If your body is horribly insulin resistant it makes it very difficult to lose weight.

I only weigh once a week if that and I always dread that darn scale. Of course, last Friday when I weighed the scale did not drop an ounce. How disappointing is that? We had fresh fish for dinner and I guess I hurried up a bit and paid for not chewing that fish up for the next 3 hours. Just for kicks, I weighed on Saturday morning and was down 3 pounds!!! How could that possibly and scientifically happen? I didn't burn 10,000 calories overnight. I sure didn't lose 3 pounds of "water weight." But you know what? I'll take it!!! That scale plays such mind games with me and usually wins.

Hi Dolphin

This is the first time posting in this blog. I too am losing slowly but am ok with it. I've lost 40 lbs since March but I have really changed my eating habits and for that I am happy. I now have 7cc in my 10cc band. I have lost consistently with each visit to the doctor never gaining any weight, but losing 3-4 lbs a month or more. I've decided that this isn't a race its a life style change. It took me 40 years to gain this weight so I don't really care how long it takes to takeit off. The point is that it is coming off and I am more in control with the foods I eat. My relationship with foods is different. Hang in there.

Legumes are not expensive and you can mix them in with ground turkey/chicken to make stews which will give you lots of Protein and fill you up. Hope your finanacial situation improves. I've been there and its very frustrating.

sharon

Hello-

I would like to say hi and I am back! I have been going through alot- personally and professionally- so believe it or not- I gave up frown.gif. I was banded 2 and a half years ago and haven't really lost anything. I do have some restrictions- which is a plus. BUT I know that I need to do more about it. I had to have foot surgery- so I will be out of work for 6 weeks and I thought that this would be a great time to try to jump start myself, by focusing on food- can't do the exercise yet- but I think first things first- food. portions and kinds. I am bad because I like to graze--- I know :tongue2:--- does anyone have a tip on a good nutrious snack- that I can have? Also while I am out, I will go back to the doc, for a visit- get another fill. I am going to be visiting this site alot while I am out, to look for inspiriation- which I can say that I have found biggrin.gif. It is SO nice to know that I am not by myself and there are people out there would are struggling and know how I feel- sometimes you feel alone.

Any tips, advise, or recipes- greatly appreciated.

It is def hard. I struggle daily. Some weeks are good and some are bad but the overall picture is the weight is going! I have to keep reminding myself that its what I do most of the time and not some of the time the counts. So don't be discouraged...the weight will come off.

As far as Snacks I try to stick with high Protein snacks because I am terrible at getting the recommended 60gms in. So cheese sticks and Protein Bars are my snacks of choice. I hope this helps and good luck!

Hi Sharona, I was so pleased to read your post. I'm a slow loser too but very happy with the process. I only see my doctor every few months but each time I got I've lost weight. I was banded in Oct 2007 and have lost 25kg so far. My doctor doesn't talk about goals and won't tell me how much there is in my band as he doesn't believe it's relevant. What is relevant is how comfortable I am and whether I'm losing weight.

I haven't really changed my diet at all but I eat much, much less than I used to. If I'm hungry, I eat but it doesn't take much to fill me up. I still drink red wine on a regular basis which I enjoy.

I didn't want to count calories or watch what I ate ever again - I'm not - and its working for me. I also didn't want to go through the whole "wow you've lost so much weight" routine either preferring for the weight to go very gradually so that it's barely noticeable.

I'm very happy with the fact that I'm three dress sizes smaller than I was and I wore an outfit on New Year's Eve that I hadn't been able to fit into for five years. If I lose another 5kg this year I'll be happy - but if it's only 3kg I won't be crying in my soup!

Happy New Year to everyone.

Sharona,

You said it all girl. Relearning how to eat after 50 years of bad habits takes a while and a lot of effort. But at least we are going in the right direction. Just having surgery proves our commitment to ourselves. WTG! I look at my lady friends now and guess what? They put on holiday pounds!!! This is the first year I haven't and I really don't feel like I sacrificed anything. I ate goodies, I grazed, drank and was merry. But in moderation. No more stuffed feeling for me. No more napping after a big dinner. (I can't eat a big dinner.) I also think I finally figured out that PB thing. I eat soooo sloooow now. And chew it to pulp. I also stop eating after 2-3 bites. That's right. Try it. 2-3 bites and stop. Enjoy the company or tv, whatever. Time yourself. Then try another 2-3 bites. No more PB'ing. It's a new year. I am going to resolve to work better with my lap band. I don't care if I'm a slow loser. I just want to be a loser. Ha!

Hello Everyone!

I'm back, I've been gone for awhile but I'm refreshed, recharged and ready to lose. I stopped working out when the weather changed and my weightloss has suffered because of it. I've been at a stand still so starting today I'm reclaiming my aerobics, I'm going to put that Wii Fit to good use and I'm going to shed these pounds. I would appreciate and exercise, eating, and other tips that you want to share as we are a team and everyone is here to help one another. Thanks for your support. We can do this together.

CanaryQueen-

Well to be honest it sounds like we are kindred spirits. That self distruct button is still being pushed here, BUT I have decided enough is enough. I just had foot surgery myself- so it has been fun :). This thread really is a great site- I don't get to visit as much as I would like- but the support is awesome. The best advice that I have been given- is to do a little at a time to start. My biggest challenge is exercise- once I go back to work, I feel as if I don't have the time- I get home and I am bushed- but I need to start small and add to it. SO that is what I am doing as of now. Keep in touch and hopefully we can win together. :)

Hey Joeboo, you're right about the self-destruct button, I hadn't quite thought about it that way - thought I was in control of the band but of course the self-destruct button is in control of me and going strong as ever. Going to have to think about that a bit more:wink2: NOt going to give myself a hard time over it though - I don't do that anymore.

As to exercise, I walk the dog. Best thing ever. He has to be walked and it's pretty hard to ignore those longing looks. I eat dinner and find that it really helps my digestion if I go for a walk immediately afterwards. I find that I can walk twice as far as I could 12 months ago - the dog is fitter too! As I'm walking I try to imagine carrying two 10kg bags and a 5kg bag of potatoes around my waist and in my shorts - puts things into perspective.:grouphug:

This site is good motivation. It's also a reality check for those of us, like me, who haven't beaten their demons.

I got a fill last week, I'm at a little over 7cc's. I'm so glad I did, I can already tell a difference. Next time my weight loss slows down and I'm excercising and getting enough Protein, I'm going to be alot quicker to get a fill...

I'm a slow loser too!! My doctor says I'm doing great and wishes all his patients had lost what I have. I just don't feel that successful yet. I can still wear all of my old clothes, even though they are baggy. I think I am at a good fill for now. I'm not often hungry. Usually 10am and 4pm is when my stomach actually growls. The hard part is not eating just to eat, out of boredom. I've yet to get my head around the don't eat, you're not hungry part. Also, I still fill my plate way too full out of habit, then I'm disappointed when I can't eat it. I've started using my treadmill daily, and do some hand weights which is starting to pay off I think. Anyway, good luck to all, slow losing is better than gaining!!