Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you determine goal weight?

Hi everybody,

I'm a newbie and started researching lap-band about a month ago. I have three seminars and appointments scheduled for the next couple of weeks, but I'm hoping you guys can help with some of my silly questions.

How do you and/or your doctor determine your goal weight? I thought it might be a BMI of 24.9 (top of the "normal" range), but I see others on here who have slightly higher goal weights. Is this just a personal choice?

I only ask because I'm a little nervous about a doctor telling me my goal should be really low. I once stopped going to an endocrinologist because he never seemed satisfied with my "normal" goal, saying, "Hey, why not get down to 110 lbs?!" ('m 5'2", by the way.) I had already lost a lot of weight using Meridia, and his attitude just made me feel so defeated. I found out my tiny, frail grandma (same height as me) weighs 120. I can't even fathom being lighter than her - it would be unhealthy!

I'd love your input and support.

Everyone has different reasons and methods for choosing their goals. Everything from referring to the BMI chart like you mentioned to picking a weight from their past where they felt "normal".

My doc had been one of those who said you should set your goal at around 50% of your beginning excess weight. He based that on some old studies that indicated that was the average weight loss of bariatric patients. Personally I think that is a bit of hogwash. I don't have a problem with someone setting a higher goal. Then re-evaluating it when they get closer, I just didn't like the doc acting like that was the best I could hope for.

One site I found usefull in setting my goals early on.

Below is a link to a site I found usefull in helping me set some goals. It is worth taking a look at.

Better Ideal Weight Body Calculations

Thanks, Diane. That is a very interesting website. I'll discuss this with some doctors and see how I feel about what they're advising.

Ironically, one of the reasons I'm obsessing over a goal weight is for my ticker at the bottom of my messages!

Thanks, Diane, for that link. Honestly, the number it gave was very realistic for me and would be easy to maintain. I am 5'11 and that website recommends I weight 194 pounds for my age. That had been on my mind lately. I know it is unrealsitic, from past experience, to get below 170-180 but it is possible. I do know that if I can get below 200 I would be very satisfied. I would be even more thrilled if I am able to maintain.

This is a great website and after looking at it I have gone back to my original goal. When I reach this goal then I will decide if I still want to lose any more.

Yeah I like the site. But if you read the description on the "Peoples Choice Ideal Weight" calculation closely it says:

This shows the average weight that other people of your Age, Height, Weight and Gender would describe as their ideal weight.

In other words as you lose weight the goal is recalculated based on what other people your new weight would say is their ideal, making the goal weight a constantly moving target. For example at my height (5'2") I'd have to get down to 112 pounds before my "peers" thought I didn't need to lose any more weight. And for now, that just seems impossible to me at my age. Heck, getting to the 150's is still feeling impossible.

My doctor also looked at my weight history. He said if you have always been overweight, even from childhood, then your bones are heavier to compensate for the extra weight that have had to carry. Therefore I shouldn't try to have a goal of 125, because I can't diet away the extra bone weight! He set a goal of 150 for me, but I secretly hope I can get down to 140 or 145.

Thanks Diane, I love that site, the ideal weight they showed was about what I was thinking for me. I remember when I weighed that and it was pretty good.

I took a weight that I was in HS and a size 8. I LOVED being that size, so that's around the weight I was when I was that size. I *think* I was 138 when I got into that size, but I can't remember for sure. Honestly, if I get into 8's at a higher weight and I'm comfortably in them (I have to compensate a bit for a bubble butt), then I may end there. My end WEIGHT is flexible. My end SIZE is not.

I have more of a size in mind, as well. And what I have found after losing weight a few times, is that as I get older/had kids/whatever reason, my body redistributes differently. When I made goal 8 years ago, I was the same weight that I was as a teenager, only I was in a smaller size. Go figure. You definitely can't say "when I weigh XXX I will be able to wear size XXX" because you just don't know til you get there.

I have more of a size in mind, as well. And what I have found after losing weight a few times, is that as I get older/had kids/whatever reason, my body redistributes differently. When I made goal 8 years ago, I was the same weight that I was as a teenager, only I was in a smaller size. Go figure. You definitely can't say "when I weigh XXX I will be able to wear size XXX" because you just don't know til you get there.

I've found the same thing. In fact, I think "they" have adjusted sizes since I was in my 20's. When I was 26 I weighed 132 and wore size 10 pants. Now I weigh 178 and some of my size 10's are getting loose on me. Now, I KNOW my weight is carried differently (I've gone from a pear to an apple) but even so, I can't believe my butt is what used to be a size 10. I think the clothing manufacturers found out that when women had to wear a larger size they cut down on their clothes purchases, so they made all the sizes larger!

Like you, I too have often thought about what my goal weight should be. I am 5'7 and I on the day of my surgery (12/26/07) I weighed 226 lbs. I set my goal weight at 145-150. My Doc said that was an excellent goal weight for me. He said many patients don't set their goal weight to put them at a healthy bmi range. My mom is 5'6 and she weighs 150. She looks awesome!!!!!! Please do what makes you comfortable and happy. I'm sure you will look amazing.

Best wishes to you and yours!

Hi I just viewed the People Choice Ideal Weight. And what they listed is 172lb. My ideal is 175lb no less than 165lbs the least, so I don't feel off target of what I want. The medical wt. is 114lbs - 150lbs. I shudder to think of being that small.

My daughter is 160lbs and looking at her I don't think I can mentally or emotionally handle that weight. Then again, what ever weight I need to be to get back into my best weight pants, that's where I'll be and stay. Those white pants was at my best weight, felt good and looked good in them.

So, I'm staying in this group, for I have 67lbs to get there. And I want to; no, I am going to lose that before my b'day, July 3. So I have to lose them by June 30. So, I can wear my white pants for my birthday. :welldoneclap:

So, let's get this party on the road.

My doctor said he wants me to get down to 70 kgs (154 lbs) but I opted for 65 kgs (143 lbs). I'm also 5' 2". I'm happy to lose enough to get my health back on track, eg, BP, diabetes and anything after that is a bonus.