Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Journal Thread

Denise, I take thyroid meds but nobody ever told me I can't eat for two hours. Am I doing something wrong?

Also, my doctor told me to eat 1200 calories a day, but he admitted that most people will eat more than that, which is why he told us not to count the calories in veggies. Nobody really binges on veggies, and they are so low in calories that you don't have to worry about counting them. Unless it's corn or potatoes, don't even worry (unless they are loaded with butter or dressing.) Lettuce barely has anything in it.

NANA, I hear ya, sister! Michelle haunts me with her discipline! Your comment about being able to eat more after the sun goes down is what destroys me every day. I can't eat much during the day, but the Band is wide open after sunset. You are not alone, I'm fighting nights badly.

I take synthroid and a baby asprin every day, but don't usually wait 2 hrs b4 eating. Sometimes I take b4 going to bed. The only thing I take alone and wait an hour is the fosamax for Calcium, oops, missed my once a week dose yesterday.

You've done very well Lisa. With everything you've been through, you deserve an award!

Have you tried those soy chips? Honey BBQ and several others, yum, oops should this be in the food department.

I eat like Calista Flockhart every single day... but then the sun goes away and I eat like a pack of wolves. Maybe I got bit by a warewolf?

Saturday

Breakfast Burrito: 1 egg, 1 hash brown, 1 slice cheddar, 1 tspn olive oil wrapped in a wheat tortilla and shared with 1 feline and 2 canines.

harleynana, I know what you are saying about getting hungry. I did notice, in the foods you chose that day, you had alot of carb oriented foods/or sugar oriented ex. your Margarita, Beans, nachos. That may be why you feel hungry. Carby foods tend to make me crave more carby foods, and I never feel full. When you feel the hungriest, instead of going with the foods you wrote, try substituting something like grilled vegetables (not salad) or a meat that is a little less band friendly, but will go down eventually when you eat real slow. High Protein foods, tend to digest slower to me (I don't know if that is scientific, or just a coincidence) Plus the thought of actually having to cook the food, will usually make you want to reconsider whether you are really hungry.......or just bored.

Take my advice if you want, just a suggestion

Sorry, I didn't see you had asked me a question. I take Synthoid, and it says on the instructions you are not suppose to eat anything, I can never remember if it is an hour before the food, or 2 hours after the food, or vice versa, so, I go cautious and wait 2. I just started taking them about 6 months ago. I am not sure the reasoning behind it.

pat ROFL...i do get hungry...i need more fill and as for discipline i did HORRABLE today...

well dinner last night: grilled chicken salad blue cheese dressing

TODAY:

breakfast: turkey and cheese wrap...with mayo

snack: 1 ENTIRE box of tagalongs...girls scout Cookies 1100 calories

i ate the Cookies not 15 minutes after my wrap...and i hadnt drank a sip OF ANYTHING!!!

michelle

update: i am a sicko...i started on box #2 i ate 1/2 and put LOTION on the rest and threw them away...

Denise, I had to laugh, that's not my normal day, I met my son and daughter-n-law for a drink at the local Mex restaurant. Before banding I would have had at least 2 jumbo Margaritas. As for the nachos, this was my first time since being banded, I'm terribly disappointed to find out they go down so easily. The refried Beans, well I'm always looking for any type of Fiber.

I've never paid attention to what I've eaten after taking the Synthroid or now long after, but whenever I have my blood work done, my throid reading is right in the normal range....now is that normal range for you or me or Lisa? I hate that "normal" range stuff. There are some really interesting articles on the thyroid regarding the "normal range" theory.

Thanks for the advice, though the margarita and nachos are not routine menu items, the Beans are.

update: i am a sicko...i started on box #2 i ate 1/2 and put LOTION on the rest and threw them away...
I do that to foods too so I can't eat them later. So you are not alone. If I am in a restaurant I will put salt pepper and whatever seasonings I can find plus pour some of my sweetie's drink on it and then put my napkin over it to keep me from picking at it more. So you are definitely not alone.

Breakfast:

One scrambled egg - 65 calories

Cafe Vienna coffee - 150 calories

Snack:

One cinnamon sucker - 70 calories

Lunch:

Tuna - 300 calories

Split pea Soup - 200 calories

Hot tea with Equal - 0 calories

Calories: 785

Fat:

Carb:

Protein: 63 g

Water: 48 oz

Exercise: 20 min Pilates

hee penni! i meant i was a sicko for starting on box #2!!!! i am glad i am not the only one though who does have to ruin the food in order to keep from picking...

i am gonna work out REALLY hard tonight and sweat those dang Cookies out!!!!!

Don't know why I didn't see this before!!! I've been looking to start a group like this with our support group!!! Wanted to get some ideas for Menu Plans....that was why I started that thread about it. Anyway, I think I will just subscribe here and participate. COOL!! Will let them know about it but they're not as much of a Computer Geek as I am :D

I need to be accountable too.....my Dietitian keeps after me to journal and I don't know why I can't make the time...especially since I am eating correctly now! I still go to WW meetings but keep a low profile. I do it so I can weigh in, mostly for myself. I do have a scale at home; but that one keeps me on track! Also, themotivation and the recipes and support. Our support group is only once a month so the weekly meetings help in between. Anyway...thanks for listening....I think I've had too much coffee! Sorry for rattling on!

Nancy

:D

Wow!!! This thread is a GOLDMINE!!! I cannot believe how much alike we all are!!! The part about "ruining your food" is hilarious!!! I do the same darned thing!!! Yikes!

We've had lots of discussion about thyroid medications lately and it seems several of us are having a problem with either it not absorbing (the ones with no thyroid) or taking too much since it is based on our weight and we've lost so much.....I have been taking it for over 30 yrs so i never bothered to read the package about taking it with/without food!!! Thanks Denise...

Sorry, I didn't see you had asked me a question. I take Synthoid, and it says on the instructions you are not suppose to eat anything, I can never remember if it is an hour before the food, or 2 hours after the food, or vice versa, so, I go cautious and wait 2. I just started taking them about 6 months ago. I am not sure the reasoning behind it.

Saturday

Breakfast 10:00

1 kashi Go lean frozen waffle...they are really good if you let them sit and soak up some Syrup. But what isn't good if you let it soak up sugar?

1/8 c. lite syrup

butter

lunch 1:30, in the car on the way home from the store

1 chicken leg, no skin

1/4 c. of deli mac and cheese

Calories:481

I'm going out with friends for dinner, to a movie, and then drinks after. I probably shouldn't eat another thing until Tuesday of next week after a night like tonight.

Megan

I guess I have watched too much Oprah about meds lol. After the scare with all these arthritis pain stuff (Vioxx etc) I try to read all my directions carefully.

It says on my bottle:

Take medication on an empty stomach. 1 Hour before, or 2-3 hours after a meal, unless otherwise directed by your doctor.

It also says:

Take this medication at least 4 hours before taking antacids, Iron, or vitamin/mineral supplements.