Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Long...hope you will be feeling better soon. I have noticed that any time I get some kind of a virus, be it a cold or just achey/fever, I am unable to eat much. I don't know why but just the way it is. Had a hard time getting my food in for a couple of days after my flu & pneumonia shots also.

Hope everyone has a good evening. Us tired old farmers are heading to bed. I think we are about shot.

-----

Long2BeThin, I guess Im still not sure the lapband is my answer? I wasnt over eating, Im close to be diabetic and so sugars affect me, so Im watching my sugars much better and walking 4 miles a day to lose. I cant go back now until Nov 29th to get another fill. Its 5 hours round trip and she doesnt spend 10 minutes with you. Yes, I feel like she has been way too conservative. Im just discouraged how my band isnt helping, its just another diet so far. Will power and exercise.

One huge question Iv really wondered about. If you are tight, how many pounds would you probably lose before you needed another fill to get back to tight?? would it be like every 20 lbs or what should I expect? Assuming she ever gets me to tight restriction. How often do you get a fill once you do get tight? Pound wise I mean.

Well I don't really think there is a set answer to how many pounds til a fill. My first fill was at 6 weeks post op, I was down 40 lbs then, 2nd fill was 2 weeks later and I was down 4 more lbs then for 44 total, 3rd fill was only a week later at a preop appt for my gall bladder surgery and I was down 3 more for a total of 47, 2 weeks later 4th fill and down 57 lbs now so 10 more. 5th and last fill was a month later and was down 65 at that point. What's more important to determine when you need a fill is how much you are eating and how often you get hungry. My doc wants meals to be 4 oz or 1/2 cup and 80% of that lean, hard Protein. And that should last me 3 hours. If I am hungry sooner or need to eat more to be satisfied then it's time for a fill. I follow that pretty close. As my portions get to be more than a cup, I seek a fill. Or if I am hungry sooner than 2 hours. And I almost always eat my Protein first. It fills me up the most and lasts the longest. The meals I don't do that, I am hungry sooner and can eat more. If I get this next fill next month, it will have been 2 mos between fills. I've lost 13 more since the last fill. I hope that helps. I've heard it said the further out from surgery you are the few fills you need. Once you get to your sweet spot it's only 1 or 2 a year if that. But I'm no expert on that, I've only been banded just under 5 mos. I have a large band so have lots of room for fills. My doc is very aggressive with fills. I had a 4cc prefill at surgery and my first fill after surgery was 3 cc so I was half full (7cc in a 14cc band) at 6 weeks already. My opinion is you need more restriction, but remember the band is only a tool, you still have to do the work, the band doesn't do it all. I envy all your walking, I need to up my exercise a lot.

Long2bThin, Wow, you are doing great. I just started my journey with the band, and still need to get rid of all the gas and swelling. It is getting better everyday, but I'm still not sleeping in my bed. To hard to get up.

Hope to have good losses like yours. Maggies:shades_smile:

I had my first fill about 6-7 weeks after surgery. Then another about 3 wks later, and one more about 3 weeks after that. Then I went 6 months before the next one... by then I was 10 mos post-op. I had another at my one year check up appt. That was the end of July and I don't expect to need another before next spring. Restriction is good and new eating habits are very much ingrained by now!

Typical food day today: small eggbeaters/seafood omelet for Breakfast with very small amount of hash browns.... less than 1/4 cup. lunch was a few nibbles of this and that at Costco! Mid-afternoon snack was a small stuffed crab from Wal-Mart (170 calories)... that was a bit of a splurge. dinner, half of a filet mignon... maybe 4 oz, with sauteed onions/mushrooms and some spinach. Had two small glasses of wine this afternoon, too, 50-60 oz Crystal Lite and couple of cups of coffee. Lost 7 lb during October. I do Water aerobics for an hour 5X a week in the morning.

Hi, I had my procedure on 10/27, and the surgeon repaired a very large Hiatal Hernia. I go in the 11th for my first fill. I have a lot of residual discomfort from the hernia repair, and some with my band, but all in all it seems to be going well.. except I can't sleep lying down. I end up with an odd feeling in my stomach like an anxiety attack.. Any thoughts?

Poppy

Hi, I had my procedure on 10/27, and the surgeon repaired a very large Hiatal Hernia. I go in the 11th for my first fill. I have a lot of residual discomfort from the hernia repair, and some with my band, but all in all it seems to be going well.. except I can't sleep lying down. I end up with an odd feeling in my stomach like an anxiety attack.. Any thoughts? Poppy

I didn't experience that myself, but I know many have. Often people sleep in their recliners for many nights after surgery. It will gradually get better. I was able to sleep in my bed, on my side, right away with very little discomfort. Sounds like you're doing really well, especially considering the additional surgery that you had!

:rolleyes2::thumbup::hurray:

Wow you are doing wonderfully! I have about the same amount to lose as you do. I have lost 26 so far (31 including pre-surgery loss). It seems like such a long way. But I was impressed by your eating. Thanks for the inspiration! Dot

Hi Phyllser,

Yep, you're spot on. That was the thread I looked at. Thank you for understanding.

I have to be at the hospital at 7am tomorrow so this will be my last post till I get home again. Not sure when that will be, it depends what he finds in there apart from the hernia. Oh lord, I'm not looking forward to the pain again.

Anyway, Best wishes to all.

Katy - good luck with your surgery

Hernia repair - I had a larger hiatel hernia repaired at time of LB surgery also. I think I had more discomfort than others afterwards, but it passed soon. I also think my recovery time was a bit longer because of the repair. Afterwards I no longer needed my nexium for acid reflux and have had no issues related to that.

Fills- I am almost half filled in my 14cc band and feel great restriction now. Usually 1/4-1/2 cup max at a meal.. and always Protein first. Next appointment is end of December and not sure a fill will be needed then, just have to wait and see.

Last night I was at a Moroccan Restaurant where they bring things out on a platter and you use a flat bread to pick up the food. I ate slow, had a taste of everything and managed well. It was an interesting meal, but very good and it stretched out over 2 hours.

Hi Phyllser,

Yep, you're spot on. That was the thread I looked at. Thank you for understanding.

I have to be at the hospital at 7am tomorrow so this will be my last post till I get home again. Not sure when that will be, it depends what he finds in there apart from the hernia. Oh lord, I'm not looking forward to the pain again.

Anyway, Best wishes to all.

Wishing you all the best tomorrow, Katydid. I had my band surgery in June with a repair of haital hernia that doc said was larger than a baseball. Could not even tell they did anything. Had another surgery 9/30 where they repaired over ten hernias. Actually, it wasn't too bad. Just inconvenience. Did not really feel the seven incisions they made. Just could tell when they were healing cuz the mesh screens would pull. I am hoping for you as easy as a recovery as I had. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow as I am sure the rest of the people here will be. God Bless:tt1:

I really like the Atkins and the low carb slim fast. I also like EAS that you get at Walmart. I do add sf syrups too. I get mine at a restaurant supply company. I think you can order then online too . Da Vinci syrups . Try putting them in google. I know a good place to order stuff is

netrition.com........They don' tcharge so much for shipping. IT's 4.95 no matter how much you order.

I feel like a new woman today. I think I slept off a lot of my cold. I felt so awful yesterday. I slept almost 12 hours with the time change. I can breathe!! What a difference a day makes.

Still not able to eat much and PB'd at lunch. If this continues another couple days I may call the surgeon. I've not had a fill in a month so it seems odd that I'd get tighter now, so I am thinking it has to do with the drainage from the cold and not feeling well. We are grilling ribs for dinner tonight since it's almost 80 today and hopefully I can get some of that down.

Hi All!

I have been through the hoops (dietition, Phsyc, support group meetings) and am now ready to make the appt. with the surgeon to set the surgery date. I am having my band done at a military base:drool:. We are short of doctors so the surgery date will more than likely be in January 09. The surgeon we do have is a Bariactric Surgeon so that is a plus for me. Just getting a little nervous but that is to be expected. My DH is thinking about getting this done too as he is a diabetic:thumbup:. Just wanted to pop in and say hi...............

Hello All.

I am scheduled to be banded Dec 19th. A Christmas present to myself. It is the only time I can take the time off so I am prepared. I turn 55 on the 11th of November and I have been overweight my entire adult life. I want my next 40 plus years =-) to be healthy and fit, so this is my first step. Looking forward to some chatting. I have so much to be thankful for. :cool2:

Hi Sadlergirl4, I like your Christmas gift,the gift that keeps on giving.I am also going to have my LBS.Dec 9 if all goes well.The Dr. wants me to shed 30lbs and I am working very hard at it .I'll hit the gym tomorrow and that's where Ill weigh my self,Can not keep a scale in my home because,it drives me nuts if i get on and find a gain,so once a week at the gym,for me!!! Have you completed all your testing? I also have been over weight my entire adult life and then some. You will get a lot of help here and support,so keep reading,and learning.oh also Happy Birthday. Kerry