Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Hi Gang

Just popping in to say Hi and that you for your thoughts and prayers - I want you to know it has really meant the world to me..

Hugs - Janet

Hi Janet,

Sor sorry for your loss. I lost my younger brother too and it really is devastating.

There is nothing anyone can say but knowing others are sending lovely thoughts and feelings to you does make a difference.

Best wishes.

Janet, it's good to have you back. We have all missed you.

I feel like we are all back together now. I hope you are getting along okay. I lost my big brother to cancer last year, and his daughter to cancer in early August this year. It's a tough time...

Janet, hugs to you.

As so many others I also lost my sister recently. January 2008, it was sudden and so unexpected.. I hope you are doing better. Life goes on and we all have to move with it.

My deepest sympathy to you in your loss.

Janet,

I must have missed this news somehow (don't always have time to go back and read all the posts.) So sorry for your loss! Thoughts and prayers are will you.

Hello to all, I had surgery yesterday morning. I had to be at the hospital at 6:30 a.m. and was on the road back home by noon. As soon as I was checked in they began preparing me for surgery. I met with a nurse who took my vitals, the anesthesiologist stopped by and then they had a massage therapist stop by to give me a massage to help me relax. How awesome is that???

I was on the table at 7:35 and it wasn't long before I woke up in recovery. I could feel one spot that hurt more than the other....it was the port area. It wasn't super painful but none-the-less they gave me more pain medication.

I finally left the recovery room and was wheeled into my little room to visit with my family. I was given some Water to drink and a pain pill. I used the spirometer often. I wasn't able to inflate my lungs as fully as I was last night before surgery but I kept at it and constantly made progress. The deeper you breath the faster you get rid of the gas. I also asked to take a walk down the hall.....exercise also helps get rid of the gas.

They decided that I could go home because I was doing so well. They wanted to wheel me to the front door but I asked if I could walk because I wanted to get as much exercise in as possible before the hour drive home.

I had the option of taking 1-2 pain pills when I got home. I have just been taking one half of a pill and am coping very well. I went for a short walk with my granddaughter half-way down the block. I have been drinking water, chicken broth and eating Jell-O......all very slowly.

I am feeling so much better than I expected and I believe it is because I have made it a point to get up every hour and walk around the house. Keeping hydrated and exercise seems to be the key.

Oh, I wanted to say that I took a pillow with me this morning. It is a heavy pillow. One of those memory foam types. I held it against my belly on the way home and never had a pain when the road got bumpy. I also got a "seat riser" for the toilet stool so I'm not straining my abdominals getting up and down. I also rented a lift recliner and that also has been a life saver. I live by myself and don't have anyone to help me get up if I have a problem so I wanted to have all my bases covered. Planning is the answer to making the days after surgery comfortable.

Those of you getting ready to have surgery, I hope yours goes as nicely as mine has so far. Best wishes to all of you!

Welcome to Band life LoriLei. Sounds like things went well for you. They did for me too. Keep up the good work and you will be a very successful bandster.

I am down another half this morning. YAHOO!! But feeling very constipated and nothing is helping. GRRRRR I have to leave shortly to take my daughter in for a colonoscopy, she's 27 but can't drive home, she's having so many intestinal issues I pray they are able to find out what's the problem and fix it and that it's nothing major.

Charlene, how'd your daughter make out in her surgery and how are you doing with the grandbabies??

Iguess I don't have to have a sleep study,because i had one about 4 years ago and all was OK!:eek: SO i hope that test stands,because i would HATE:angry:TO do it again.Im getting ready to go see the dietitian today.take care Kerry

The sleep study was hard on me. I could'nt fall asleep until 2am, but they got enough info on me in that little bit of time. How long before you think it will be turned into Tricare? I would have had my surgery Oct. 1st. if it hap been approved the first time.:eek: Oh well, Nov. 5th. isn't to far off.

Maggie:shades_smile:

The sleep study was hard on me. I could'nt fall asleep until 2am, but they got enough info on me in that little bit of time. How long before you think it will be turned into Tricare? I would have had my surgery Oct. 1st. if it hap been approved the first time.:eek: Oh well, Nov. 5th. isn't to far off.

Maggie:shades_smile:

You know,I'm not sure but when i saw the Dr.OCT.9 he said 1 or 2 months?Ithink it might be a bit longer then that because the cardiology can't see me until Nov.12 Ihave to see her and have a DSE.DONE????Still not sure what that is.But i have Atrial Fibrillation,so i hope that doesn,t keep me from getting the LBS? Has anyone had surgery [LB] AND have A fib???:cry_smile:Well it's very cold and windy in Kansas to day and DH AND i have to hit the gym,i want to get their and back before the snow hits:sad_smile:Kerry

Hi Janet,

Sor sorry for your loss. I lost my younger brother too and it really is devastating.

There is nothing anyone can say but knowing others are sending lovely thoughts and feelings to you does make a difference.

Best wishes.

Janet, hugs to you.

As so many others I also lost my sister recently. January 2008, it was sudden and so unexpected.. I hope you are doing better. Life goes on and we all have to move with it.

My deepest sympathy to you in your loss.

Janet,

I must have missed this news somehow (don't always have time to go back and read all the posts.) So sorry for your loss! Thoughts and prayers are will you.

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers - you guys don't know how much it has meant to me - I have gotten more consulation from you all than from my some of my friends immeidate family (well except my DS - DIL - Grandkids they were my rock) - It seems like I have to take care of my sis and stepbro and other family members - I truly appreciate all your good thoughts and prayers. You all are truly my family...

Hello to all, I had surgery yesterday morning. I had to be at the hospital at 6:30 a.m. and was on the road back home by noon. As soon as I was checked in they began preparing me for surgery. I met with a nurse who took my vitals, the anesthesiologist stopped by and then they had a massage therapist stop by to give me a massage to help me relax. How awesome is that???

I was on the table at 7:35 and it wasn't long before I woke up in recovery. I could feel one spot that hurt more than the other....it was the port area. It wasn't super painful but none-the-less they gave me more pain medication.

I finally left the recovery room and was wheeled into my little room to visit with my family. I was given some Water to drink and a pain pill. I used the spirometer often. I wasn't able to inflate my lungs as fully as I was last night before surgery but I kept at it and constantly made progress. The deeper you breath the faster you get rid of the gas. I also asked to take a walk down the hall.....exercise also helps get rid of the gas.

They decided that I could go home because I was doing so well. They wanted to wheel me to the front door but I asked if I could walk because I wanted to get as much exercise in as possible before the hour drive home.

I had the option of taking 1-2 pain pills when I got home. I have just been taking one half of a pill and am coping very well. I went for a short walk with my granddaughter half-way down the block. I have been drinking water, chicken broth and eating Jell-O......all very slowly.

I am feeling so much better than I expected and I believe it is because I have made it a point to get up every hour and walk around the house. Keeping hydrated and exercise seems to be the key.

Oh, I wanted to say that I took a pillow with me this morning. It is a heavy pillow. One of those memory foam types. I held it against my belly on the way home and never had a pain when the road got bumpy. I also got a "seat riser" for the toilet stool so I'm not straining my abdominals getting up and down. I also rented a lift recliner and that also has been a life saver. I live by myself and don't have anyone to help me get up if I have a problem so I wanted to have all my bases covered. Planning is the answer to making the days after surgery comfortable.

Those of you getting ready to have surgery, I hope yours goes as nicely as mine has so far. Best wishes to all of you!

Welcome to bandland :0)

Janet, makes me happy to see you back on the forum. Nothing I can say except I've been thinking of you at this terrible time and just know you have so many people here that care for you. Peace.

Today I got my 3rd fill. I now have 7 cc's in a 10 cc band. I have been starving all day. Was suppose to stay on liquids but I haven't been able to. I had some yogurt, peanut butter/crackers, Tomato Soup. Should I be feeling this hunger after a fill. Seems to me like 7cc's is a lot. I'm confused :smile:

Hi Tx Lady; don't fret - 7 cc's in a 10 cc band is not necessarily a lot. It all depends on the fat pad thickness around your stomach. It is also normal to be hungry on liquids.. You ate pretty soft and light food. In a couple of weeks you may still need a small fill. I am currently getting 1/4cc fills when I go now as I am really close to my sweet spot.

janet I am so glad to see you back. You have been in my prayers.

I don't know about the 7 cc's. My band only holds 4 ccs's . I got to my sweet spot at just under 3 cc's. So maybe they have to be almost full?

I bet I have no saline left. My surgeon says it "disapates" after awhile. Whatever that means. I can eat anything I want without any trouble. It's so nice never to get food stuck anymore. I just hope I can maintain without getting a fill. I don't feel like shelling out $160.00

and it's so nice to be able to take my medication without trouble now.

Good luck to all of our new bandsters. nothing better than being on the bandwagon.

A thinner Denise; if you are holding your weight loss with out feeling restricted more power to ya! That is awesome. When you last went for a fill did your Dr. "Draw" out any of the saline in the band to check and see "IF" there was any residual?

Janet, makes me happy to see you back on the forum. Nothing I can say except I've been thinking of you at this terrible time and just know you have so many people here that care for you. Peace.

Congrats to all the Newbies on the thread:tt1:

Hi Lorilei,

Wow, what an amazing recovery. Good on you. With your attitude and the knowledge you have, you're going to do great.

Please tell me what a "Lift riser" is? I gather it is something that helps you get up somehow.

Best wishes.:thumbup:l

First I hit the lucky 7's this morning, down 77!!! YAHOO!!

I just got back from a very full and fulfilling day. This morning was the monthly bariatric surgery seminar my surgeon/hospital put on. About 200 folks come and I was part of the panel at the end. I had to say which surgery I had, when, how much I lost, the best and the worst part of the surgery and then stay and answer folks questions afterwards. I enjoyed that so much as it was just 6 short mos ago that I was in the seminar contemplating this surgery and here I am on the other side. After that and lunch, I then went to the hospital to go through volunteer training to volunteer in the bariatric program in the hospital. Once my t/b test, background check are back I get badged and can help out. I'm looking very forward to it. At the end, my dr. thanked me and told me how great I am doing with the band and that I am way ahead of the curve in my success. I said that meant a lot coming from him.

I capped off my day with a slice of pizza, it had a crisp crust. I thought I'd be okay. It seemed to be going down okay when suddenly I got the worst most painful hiccups and then PB'd all the pizza. I will not do that again!!! I had heard how bread products got stuck easily but thought the crisp crust would be okay. If I ever do pizza again, it will be the toppings only NO CRUST!

First I hit the lucky 7's this morning, down 77!!! YAHOO!!

I just got back from a very full and fulfilling day. This morning was the monthly bariatric surgery seminar my surgeon/hospital put on. About 200 folks come and I was part of the panel at the end. I had to say which surgery I had, when, how much I lost, the best and the worst part of the surgery and then stay and answer folks questions afterwards. I enjoyed that so much as it was just 6 short mos ago that I was in the seminar contemplating this surgery and here I am on the other side. After that and lunch, I then went to the hospital to go through volunteer training to volunteer in the bariatric program in the hospital. Once my t/b test, background check are back I get badged and can help out. I'm looking very forward to it. At the end, my dr. thanked me and told me how great I am doing with the band and that I am way ahead of the curve in my success. I said that meant a lot coming from him.

I capped off my day with a slice of pizza, it had a crisp crust. I thought I'd be okay. It seemed to be going down okay when suddenly I got the worst most painful hiccups and then PB'd all the pizza. I will not do that again!!! I had heard how bread products got stuck easily but thought the crisp crust would be okay. If I ever do pizza again, it will be the toppings only NO CRUST!

CONGRATS ON THE 77! I am so happy for you. You will make a great volunteer.:eek::thumbup::mellow:

4th day after my surgery!!! not doing too bad. the worst time is at night. seems like when i try to lay down to sleep i always hurt around my lower back. my sister has really had me walking. we went to the "apple butter festival" yesterday and walked a lot. i went to bed at 8 o'clock and slept till 8 o'clock this morning. i was beat. :tongue:

been eating out a lot since i've been here. i just drink my broth. ha ha

my brother-in-law's sister went last night. she had the band 2 yrs. ago. she ate a roll and it got stuck. she couldn't even eat any more. i'll be sure not to do that!!! :wink:

i see the dr. tuesday. yeah!! i get to eat some soft food then. i'm really looking forward to it. :mellow:

glad you are back indigogirl!!!