Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

another 2.2 lbs gone forever!!!! Total weight loss is now 69.6 lbs!!! Go looosssiiieee...go looosssiiieee...go go go looosssiiieee!!!

awesome weight loss! Contrats!!!!!!!!!!!

I felt the same way the with the first fill.

When they fill you the first time..there's a lot of .ummmmm fat over the port. Each time your get a fill there will be a lot LESS fat so easier for them to hit and feel the port.

CONGRATS!! You're on your way to being a LOSER!

My 1st fill was just a stick but this past fill felt like an arrow pierced into me. she said it was because the body is still kind of numb the closer it is after surgery. I say BS. It hurt

I just got back from getting my 4th fill. Dr Davis numbs the port area before putting the fill in. I asked how much I have now and he said 5cc.

I asked Dr. Davis about when the new"Big Medicine" was coming on and he does not have a date yet. I also told him about LBT and how all of you love the show. He said to tell all of you HELLO!

This is truly a problem for me. I am a retail Women's store owner - small shop - chief cook and bottle washer, actively in church, struggling in this economic times, absolutely no will power, creative and impulsive and if I have anything (like sushi) more than 3 days in a row, I'm addicted. I need help controlling myself, limiting portions and being consistent. I can't tell just how much Jenny Craig or Nutrisystem would cost or if I can afford them right now. Has anyone lost weight from the grocers freezer foods? Does anyone have any suggestions? Hell, if I could lose 30-40 that quick, I probably wouldn't need to go this route?:tongue2:

I agree!! However, if I were in your position right now, I think I would have Protein Drinks every morning, small salad with some Protein on it for lunch, Lean Cuisine for dinner. My doc tld me I had to lose 10% of my body weight prior to surgery.. that would've been over 30 lb. I lost 18 lb and he was happy with that. My BMI was over 60 and he wanted it under, which I did manage to do... just barely!

I just got back from getting my 4th fill. Dr Davis numbs the port area before putting the fill in. I asked how much I have now and he said 5cc. I asked Dr. Davis about when the new"Big Medicine" was coming on and he does not have a date yet. I also told him about LBT and how all of you love the show. He said to tell all of you HELLO!

Haven't watched that in a while but always enjoy it! I think I have a few episodes on TiVo that I haven't watched yet.

Apples: Do you have a link or can you share some info on the pre-opt diet you used. I'd like to start on something attainable well before I have my surgery -- sounds like you're the right person to ask. Congrats on your success. I too am really concerned about arm and belly flab, but i guess I'll take it one crisis at a time.

I can tell you right off the bat that it was not easy but once I got used to the idea I was not going to screw up yet another diet, it got easier. I started out by eating 1000 cals. a day and each week I would cut back 100 cals. until I was eating 600-700 cals. a day. (This was approved by my doc.). I just made sure I was not eating any empty calories and that I got plenty of Protein, fruits and veggies. Nothing else went in my mouth except for that. I don't know if this made a difference or not but I ate a can of spinach each day and took 2 Flintstone Gummy Vitamins.

There were days when I was sooooooooooooo hungry but I tried to take my mind off of it by walking, taking a bath, calling a friend and what really helped was drinking a warm drink (tea, coffee, low cal. hot chocolate (25 cal). All I knew was that I was determined to not break my pattern and get my head wrapped around what I was up against once I got my band. I wanted to be prepared for that. Did not want to have the feeling after surgery that the rug was yanked out from under me. I know a few people who had band surgery and went through a period of grieving and had a hard time adjusting.

You are welcome to PM me any time and I will get back to you as soon as possible. Our friends do not always understand what we are going through. That's why it is so nice to have friends here that are in different stages of this process. This is a huge commitment and it's a lot easier going into it if you have the mind set that it IS going to be work but it's all worth it. I wish you loads of luck as you set out on this journey.:tongue2:

I had a very eventful day yesterday. First off I am going to help out at my surgeons seminar on Sat. and then Sat. afternoon going to get trained to be a volunteer in the bariatric program at the hospital!!! Then my daughter and I shopped til we dropped. I literally had to take a break at the mall. First we went to the outlets which are huge and walked the entire thing and some areas covered twice. I got another pair of size 16 jeans at the Gap outlet they were just too good a deal. Plus this cut didn't fit last time I tried them on. Plus I got a long sleeve tshirt type shirt at Ann Taylor. My daughter got tons of stuff. Then I went to Red Robin and met up with some fellow LBTers. This group meets monthly they are mostly patients of another surgeon but invited others on the Colorado board here. It was a great time and so wonderful to meet others going through the same process. I copied the photo that was posted. I am seated on the left.

15456d1224561021t-colorado-anyone-october-2008-

My 1st fill was just a stick but this past fill felt like an arrow pierced into me. she said it was because the body is still kind of numb the closer it is after surgery. I say BS. It hurt

WOW - I've never had pain with my fills. A small prick that I barely feel. And the nurse doesn't numb the area or anything. Maybe after all the surgeries in my lifetime, I have developed a different pain threshold or something.

WOW - I've never had pain with my fills. A small prick that I barely feel. And the nurse doesn't numb the area or anything. Maybe after all the surgeries in my lifetime, I have developed a different pain threshold or something.

I have never had any pain with my fills either. The doctor give s a bit of a local anesthetic then one more prick and the fill is done. I have not had any done under fluor either.

My issue recently is just some tenderness in the port area. Doctor appt today so will ask on it then.

I just wanted to say hello. I will be banded Dec 10th after over a year of jumping through hoops. I am glad to see other 50s here as I know we have different weight loss issues than the ones I faced when I was last "really thin", back in my 20s.

Forgive me for not reading every post to this thread but you are a very prolific group, but the ones I have read have been enlightening. I do hope to add to the group.

Fran

I have a question on fills.

Today is one week since I had my first fill. 3 cc's in a 9 cc band. I have had no problems and really feel no restriction. I was warned about eating chicken and white bread, but have had no problems with either of them so far. My question is does it take time for the fill to "hit" so to speak? The last few days I have noticed a difference but not sure what it was until last night. I had a small piece of a pork chop which I chewed but it must have been too big because I was in such pain! it felt so stuck and I didn't know what to do. My first instinct was to drink something to try and push it down but that didn't work either so I walked around and about a half an hour later I could literally fell it go through and the pain stopped immediately. Scared me to death. I am just not sure what to make of that, obviously I didn't chew it well enough but up to that point I had not felt any restriction at all. So does it take time?

Thanks

Sandi

I've not had pain with a fill either. The very first one seemed more uncomfortable and I don't know if that was because it was closer to surgery or it was all new sensations, it just felt weird when they pushed on my abdomen to find the port.

DeeDee, I've not had a fill take awhile to 'take', however, I have read of that. I'm afraid to try bread, as for chicken I do tend to have more of a problem with the white meat of the breast than I do dark meat of say a thigh. As to the pork chop, it sounds like you either ate too fast or swallowed too big of a bite. It's enough to make you remember to chew better next time as it can hurt. Drinking Water is what it feels so natural to do but for me is about the worse thing to do as it doesn't go down either and then makes the stuck feeling worse or makes me PB it back up. Some say raising your hands above your head helps, I have not found that to be the case.

Hey 50+, I was finally approved after being denied and then appealing it. My surgery date is 11/05 and I'm super excited. So far no feeling scared, just anxious for it to get here. I have faith that it will all go great and I will lose all the weight I need to. Wow, it so unreal that after a year of working on this I am finally there. Maggies:shades_smile:

I see that you all are discussing fills. I go for my first on 11608. Are you saying that it hurts? I got the impression from my doctor and from the staff that it really doesn't hurt, that you just can't be afraid of needles. Hmmmmm