Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

I cannot get enough of fresh fruit and veggies. If possible I would live on them alone, but only fresh!!!!! Hate frozen!

Nectarines, grapes, cherries are my favorite..Add in summer squash, zucchini, and tomatoes and mushrooms and I have a meal..:thumbup:

So far so good with my staying on track on vacation. Thank goodness I have my food journal, without it I would have a tough time..

I also love fish, almost anything foes for me as long as it is moist. and there is such high Protein count and litle calorie count. Last night was blackened Mahi-Mahi...mmmmmmmm:tongue2:

Lynn, is the mahi mahi generally dry? I got it at a restaurant yesterday and it was so dry I couldn't eat it. But I don't remember it being that dry but I hadn't had it since being banded. Now I am afraid to try it again, but generally that used to be one of my favorite fishes.

If fish is dry, it was overcooked. I recently read on a food site that microwaving fish is best because it stays moister. That's a real blessing in the summer when I don't want to use the oven. And fish cooks so quickly as it is!

I'm lucky, I guess. I've had my first fill and the only thing that has gotten stuck is French bread, but maybe I didn't chew enough. I always remember to chew meat well, for some reason. I guess I need to skip the bread anyway!

All you 50+s are doing great. Can't wait to join you on the losing side. I have an upper GI next Tuesday and then the surgeon will put on for approval thru Tricare. I do have sleep apnea so hopefully that will help it get approved. Did you guys have much pain after the surgery? Sounds like us baby boomers are working the band the way it was meant to be.

Keep on losing. Maggie:wink_smile:

Hi everyone - Well, I need to check in because things have not been going well since my business trip. I've gained 3 lbs. I think once I noticed I could eat more I just started and haven't stopped. Old habits die hard! Can't wait for my first fill on 9/8.

You all seem to be doing so well.

Kathy

I cannot get enough of fresh fruit and veggies. If possible I would live on them alone, but only fresh!!!!! Hate frozen!

Nectarines, grapes, cherries are my favorite..Add in summer squash, zucchini, and tomatoes and mushrooms and I have a meal..:w00t:

So far so good with my staying on track on vacation. Thank goodness I have my food journal, without it I would have a tough time..

I also love fish, almost anything foes for me as long as it is moist. and there is such high Protein count and litle calorie count. Last night was blackened Mahi-Mahi...mmmmmmmm:tongue2:

Lynn - WTG on vacation :cool2: Good Job :cursing: Yes only moist fish it's my main source of protein - I eat it 4-5 nites a week if not more...

Clog up your roads??!! Indeed!!

You know you guys LOVE the increased revenue in the winter!

Anyways, it's the OLD snowbirds that clog up the roads!!!

We are YOUNG snowbirds!!

7_6_1.gif

Yeah, fish cannot be overcooked or it will get stuck!!

DH is good at overcooking! But he usually gets it right!

Have you tried nuking an apple... core it, sprinkle with art. sweetner & cinnamon, a little juice of some kind.

I knew I would get a response from you on that one GF :lol::lol:- you are 100% right it's not the young snowbird like you !!! who are clogging up the roads it's the older ones who drive 25 mph in a 50 zone at 7:45 am while you are on your way to work...:lol::lol:

All you 50+s are doing great. Can't wait to join you on the losing side. I have an upper GI next Tuesday and then the surgeon will put on for approval thru Tricare. I do have sleep apnea so hopefully that will help it get approved. Did you guys have much pain after the surgery? Sounds like us baby boomers are working the band the way it was meant to be.

Maggie - I was back at work day 6 - I have a desk job - and yes up 50+ women are of a diff mindset - this isn't a quick fix for us - it's a life saving too that we need to extend our lives and give us better quailty of life too.

It's about our healthy 1st and looks 2nd...

Hi everyone - Well, I need to check in because things have not been going well since my business trip. I've gained 3 lbs. I think once I noticed I could eat more I just started and haven't stopped. Old habits die hard! Can't wait for my first fill on 9/8.

You all seem to be doing so well.

Kathy

Kathy - Hugs GF I am sorry for your struggles - and yes old habit are hard even a year later I have to be on guard not to let them creep back into my life.. Ok right now - right this second - not tomorrow but right now - say to yourself - OK I am so done with that - I had this surgery and I am not going to let my unhealthy habits return - it's food - I am woman I am stronger than food - I can do this! - :w00t:

You know that you struggle with emotional issues of confidence & esteem that comes with being fat. But you may not know that you could be what are called as an avoider. This is due to the turmoil that comes with public & private dislike for obesity and you avoid confronting your situation at because of the fear of not being able to beat it.

Here is how an avoider thinks – once you deviate even slightly from a diet or healthy eating you figure you might as we drop the whole thing – this stars a cycle that avoider can’t find a way out of – We are fat we try to lose weight we deviate just a little we feel rejection for the perceived failure we isolate ourselves from people we stop talking about it, we stop the diet we eat a pound of candy – we get fat then we try to lose weight and the cycle continues

Instead of avoiding bad foods avoider tend to want to avoid other things like the people who want to help them and the disciple of trying to eat healthy. Avoiders try to separate themselves from these 2 strong emotion associated with dieting.

The minute you ban any food from your diet you are setting yourself up for failure.

If you eat half a cookie or a couple of fires from that banned food list – the diet is dead and that’s where the guilt sets in and now you feel that you lack the strength to succeed. This shame spins you back into the cycle of avoidance

When you reach an obstacle you decide that instead of trying to find a way around it you might a well turn around and go back to the beginning –4 fry’s leads to a handful then the whole bag.

One way to handling emotional eating is you live & eat in the now – not being upset about what you are in the past and not obsessing about what you will eat in the future.

The very thing that’s designed to help people lose weight is the very thing that promotes this harder – diets promote the all or nothing mentality. In our lives we allow for a margin of error – which we should also do when trying to eat healthy – if you are eating 1000-1200 calories a day – allow for some of those calories to be used for a little bit of something you really want - you need wiggle room in your diet to make it work – the all or nothing practices has to be thrown our of your mind.

You can learn to reprogram your mind to strip away the guilt that comes with dieting. You have to realize that it’s not that the first slice of cake that will doom your diet – it’s the second or third or whole thing that leads to weight gain.

You have to listen to your body & respond smartly to your cravings and emotions but over time you will learn how to eat right and mange your craving and that’s when you’ll train your brain to stop obsessing about eating right and punishing yourself – If you stop overthinking you’ll stop over eating..

I ate seafood tonight to my heart's content. Lobster and crab...yum...I used to eat so much more, but limited my intake, even so it was delicious!!!! added a baked potatoe and meal was complete.

If I am eating out I do try to choose those items that give me the greatest bang for my buck,, low calories and high protein

I ate seafood tonight to my heart's content. Lobster and crab...yum...I used to eat so much more, but limited my intake, even so it was delicious!!!! added a baked potatoe and meal was complete.

If I am eating out I do try to choose those items that give me the greatest bang for my buck,, low calories and high protein

Lynn

Making me jealous... Lobster yum... Yes that's how I eat most bang for the buck...

Maggie,

Good luck in your journey.

The pain wasn't too bad. They gave me liquid Lortab. I took one dose the night of surgery when I got home to make sure I slept well. The stuff tasted so horrible that I didn't take any more of it. I didn't really need it. The only thing that hurt was the area where the port was sewed. That spot on the lower left side was pretty sore for about 10 days, then I didn't feel anything there. I went back to work the next week with no trouble.

I had lap band 5-12-08 but I just joined this site. I enjoy the 50's group because we seem to have the same mindset. We are serious about this and know what to do. Some of the younger ones have a different attitude about the band.

Got my band date! Yep, October 14th will be my big day, I'm really looking forward to it. If anyone can supply me with the link to the "shopping list" that is here on this board I would appreciate it. I saw it once but can't remember where and now I'd like to print it out or just jot down a few suggestions. Thanks!!

Man, Janet that sure was a good speech you gave a few back. I will say AMEN to that. today is Tuesday and I had coffee and chocolate Unjury for Breakfast. lunch was a ham sandwich on light wheat bread and string cheese. Supper was a cup of homeade chilli.Was perfectly content but dont think I got enough Protein in so I am going to drink a Protein Drink tonight to make sure. I did a two mile walk today and man I went fast. I don't think I am getting enough calories in but I wasn't hungry today at all.

BEckyo:smile:

Got my band date! Yep, October 14th will be my big day, I'm really looking forward to it. If anyone can supply me with the link to the "shopping list" that is here on this board I would appreciate it. I saw it once but can't remember where and now I'd like to print it out or just jot down a few suggestions. Thanks!!

Congrats on your Date _ I will have to look for it - I like you will see stuff and then forget where it was at - but your doc's office should be giving you one - one of us will find it and post it for you...

Man, Janet that sure was a good speech you gave a few back. I will say AMEN to that. today is Tuesday and I had coffee and chocolate unjury for breakfast. lunch was a ham sandwich on light wheat bread and string cheese. Supper was a cup of homeade chilli.Was perfectly content but dont think I got enough Protein in so I am going to drink a Protein drink tonight to make sure. I did a two mile walk today and man I went fast. I don't think I am getting enough calories in but I wasn't hungry today at all.

BEckyo:smile:

Becky you did great today - some days you might be lower in calories but then tomorrow you may be up - it even outs - I has worked for me.... Some days just not as hungry as others - then some days starving... WTG GIRL ON THE EXERCISE ;)

I guess everyone can tell I am on vacation - I keep posting and posting .. Well it's better than eating and eating :thumbup::lol:

I'm glad you keep posting Janet. I feel like you are my next door neighbor. I wish you were. We could have fun. I lilke everyone one this forum though. We sure do have alot to talk about at times.

Beckyo

I'm glad you keep posting Janet. I feel like you are my next door neighbor. I wish you were. We could have fun. I lilke everyone one this forum though. We sure do have alot to talk about at times.

Beckyo

Becky - Yep I can tell you that when I met my other lucky #7 girls it wasn't ackward at it - it was like we had known each other for years.

So Yes - I bet we would have fun..

I wish LBT would do a bash like the other lapband board did.. That would be great - but it would take alot of time and $$ to do it - but wouldn't that be great a LBT convention...