Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey 50 & over gang We have a new spot

Orea, how did your surgery go? Feel good after or was it pretty painful? Welcome back, good to see you again. :teeth_smile:

Indigo, Welcome back! Sounds like your trip was wonderful!

Orea, Welcome back! How was your surgery?

pj, Good luck and wishing you a speedy recovery!

Pat

pj txlady, good luck on your surgery tomorrow and may you have a quick recovery. Did you have to do a pre diet of any kind? Maggie:thumbup:

Dear Long2Bthin,

I didn't get that she had to have the ice cream...just that she enjoyed a 1/2 cup and it was enough to make her happy. She said it wasn't all the time. Just think, if we could all have a 1/2 cup of ice cream now and then- even a couple of times a week. We would then be normal, and probably at our target weights.

It's an interesting discussion, though. My BIL,who has lost over 110 pounds since banding, eats whatever he wants, just in tiny portions. And I mean whatever! I was just there for a week, and the kitchen was full of cake and crackers and Cookies and pretzels, etc. It was a landmine for me because I have an entirely different philosophy with the band. Mine is to go for heart healthy foods and stay away from the junk. He says his doctor concurs with his food choices as long as he's losing. I mentioned it to my doctor and he said perhaps it was the only way to get my BIL to lose the weight and that may be why his doctor condoned it. But it's not my doctor's view and definitely not for me. I do like a couple of tablespoons of frozen yogurt or frozen soy dessert now and then, but mentally I'm better off without. In fact, I count calories now- something I NEVER did before. I stay between 850-1000 most days. I'm doing fine and have lost 52 pounds over 3 months (I think I need to update my weight loss siggy today).

We may never be able to do this one our own- but we have this great tool now, and it really helps. As does the great support here.

I reread it now that I am more awake and get what it was saying. OOPS, sorry to the original poster. Maybe it's because ice cream isn't a big deal to me. I could have it in the freezer all the time. Now my trigger would be Fritos or popcorn. Can't have that in the house. I think it's interesting how we all have different triggers.

Orea, welcome home

PJ good luck!

Thank You !!

Yes, I started my pre-op diet July 21st. Lost 12 lbs. I could eat 3 meals a day, 2 of those meals I could substitute Slim Fast Low Carb. So what I did, I had Slim Fast for Breakfast and lunch and 4 oz of meat, ( chicken, beef, turkey, not fried ) and veggies. Could have low fat dressing, sugar free Jello and popsicles. Couldn't have corn, peas or potatoes. Wasn't hard to do at all. Tonight is Seasoned Talipia Fish from Sams, sure hope I like it since I don't like fish unless it is fried. Someone told me this fish doesn't taste fishy.

Getting nervous ... will be back here as soon as I can.

Pj

Dear pj_texas lady,

You asked about throwing up. You shouldn't if you chew your food well and wait between bites. Also of course, eat the right foods for each stage. Last is making sure your doctor doesn't make your band too tight at a fill. That said, the throwing up that you hear about is mostly PB'ing...which is a "productive burp" where, yes, you belch and food pops back up. Hasn't happened to me but I hear about it. Also you can get food stuck (that happens more often than I thought it would) and if you try to get it up you can get a lot of slime coming up- your bodies response to the stuck food. That has happened to me once and it's not pleasant. I do get food stuck or backed-up more than I'd like. That feels tight inside- hurts like reflux or like there's something stuck, and most of the time if you sit tight and wait (do not drink-it makes it worse) it will suddenly "flush" down.

All this aside, most of the time, if you're eating right and chewing and waiting - you'll feel just fine.

Best of luck tomorrow. Let us know how it goes.

PJ, best of luck tomorrow as you begin your new life! I hope you will feel like getting back to us with a rundown soon. I'll be thinking of you tomorrow.

Orea, it's great to hear from you again. I've been checking periodically to hear how you are doing. Surgery go okay? Aftermath okay? Surviving the liquids okay? We've missed your wisdom and humor. Glad you are back.

Long - it's early in the week, but I will wish you best of luck on the gall bladder surgery now and later, too. I'm glad your favorite doc is on board for this - it gives you a lot of confidence. I'm sure he will take good care of you.

I tried to have the low cal, low fat ice creams in the house, but founf myself going for more than 1 a night. so no more will it come into my house. So far it is the only thing that I can be truly tempted by,

I did try a small piece of thin crust pizza tonight, it didn't get stuck but felt really uncomfortable.

scheduled for a fill on Friday. may end up being just a small. Also, have to discuss this new hernia that i have developed since surgery..

Glad to see you are still here Janet. we are all extrememly busy lately. and there are so many posts to read when we miss a day or two of being here.

When you get your food stuck, stand up and put your arms up. It will stretch out that area and help food to get unstuck.

Good luck to all the new bandsters! It's so exciting to see so many people in our age group becoming thinner and healthier!

:thumbup:Hi Nancy! Thanks for the encouragement, I agree, we can do this!!!

Good job on beating the heat! Great ideas! Today was a girlfriend's birthday and our tradition is ice cream cake from Culver's. So....I went and got it, got a small one, and told the other 2 gals I hang with that I wan't having any. They understood and waited until I left! Wasn't that sweet! AND, no temptation.

I've been doing Atkins for a little over a week and doing pretty well. I want to keep it up. I set a goal of losing 30 pounds by the end of October (we're going to Disneyworld).

WE CAN DO IT!!!:biggrin::thumbup:

Sue Stenzel

It was painful at first, but what got to me when I got home, was the nausea and sleepiness from the pain meds. I slept the first few days and gagged at all of the food commercials.

I'm better now, getting hungry but also feeling gassy when I drink my full liquids. I still need naps, so I'm not completely up to speed by any means. The pain by now is minor. I only took Tylenol liquid once so far today. I could do without the diarrhea from the liquid diet, but this, too will pass. :biggrin:

I'm still not getting all of my prescriptions in, much less my Vitamins. I'm prioritizing my blood pressure meds, and the rest I'll add in gradually as my tummy is up to it.

I really enjoyed my Cream of Wheat today and later I ran some Soup from the Chinese restaurant through the blender and it tasted quite good. Even with the liquids, I am finding I feel better with only a half cup at a time than with more.

I'm off for another liquid meal and then probably early to bed.

Oh, by the way, I've been feeling alternately chilly and then hot. It's like my body is having trouble controlling its temp. (I don't have more than a few tenths of a temperature according to my thermometer.) Did anyone else experience this?

Hugs,

Orea

Hi Sue,

Your friends are as supportive and helpful as mine---isn't that wonderful? Oh, and WDW....one of my favorite places on earth, too! And you will get in so much exercise from all the walking!

You've had such a great weight loss. Keep up the good work.

Orea: glad you are back. How are you feeling? Hope it all went well and you are on your way to a healthier, happier you.

It's also comforting that others struggle with this "head hunger" thing, too. And we can all overcome these challenges!

Nancy